• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poweramp recommendations

Chuck1993

Morning everyone,

I've previously been a bit of a lurker and only now created an account. I've also recently began going the way of separates and my current set up consists of Onkyo A9010 integrated amp, Topping E30 and L30, Rega RP1 TT, Pro-ject Phono box preamp and Q acoustics 3020 speakers.

I'm in the UK if not obvious from some of my choices , anyway I'm looking for advice on a Poweramp for this set up to replace the Onkyo. Obviously I want it to be superior to what I already have and I'd like it to be proofed against future speaker upgrades. Budget would be at most £300.

TIA

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
What’s wrong with the Onkyo?
Keith

OP
C

Chuck1993

Nothing wrong, honestly I'm just a bit of a gearhead and have had the Onkyo for years now. Curious more about what's out there rather than definitely going to replace it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Onkyo A 9010 is 4 Ohm rated. So I don't think for your price range you will do any better.
zzzzz onkyo 4 ohm.png

OP
C

Chuck1993

Not currently, my streamer is a Yamaha WXAD-10 and doesn't have inbuilt EQ.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Being UK based - I would seek out something like a Quad 606/707/909/Artera

They have been around for yonks... and the design has barely changed since the early 80's - excellent amps, using the Current Dumping design.

a 40 year old amp with refurb in the last 10 years, will give decades of service, and may well be within your budget.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I agree with Doodski. That Onkyo amp with a 4 ohm rating is really a 4 ohm amp. Good stuff in the A/B circuit design is harder to find inexpensively. Class D is where all the action is now. Starting at Benchmark and dropping all the way down to much more affordable units. A good Class D can get you 4 ohm rated power in the range of 400 watts. That is enough power to drive any "normal" speaker. If you have abnormal speakers then you are on your own! :)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I agree with Doodski. That Onkyo amp with a 4 ohm rating is really a 4 ohm amp. Good stuff in the A/B circuit design is harder to find inexpensively. Class D is where all the action is now. Starting at Benchmark and dropping all the way down to much more affordable units. A good Class D can get you 4 ohm rated power in the range of 400 watts. That is enough power to drive any "normal" speaker. If you have abnormal speakers then you are on your own! :)
As the owner of "abnormal speakers" (dropping down to 1.6ohm) - I can vouch for the Crown XLS2500 (and presumably the 2nd generation XLS2502) - which is rated 440W@8ohm and 1200W@2ohm....

But I can also state, that my vintage Quad 606 did a decent job, even though at 2 ohm it is current limited, putting out only 90W@2ohm, but 135W@8ohm... unconditionally stable into any load does the trick!

Comparing the two - the Crown sounded marginally better - but whether that would stand in a double blind test .... it may well be confirmation bias!

Looking at actual power usage in my setup -the 8ohm equivalent power use for 72db average listening level at the MLP tends to be well within the 1 to 5W range - and peaks, even allowing for 20db would still see things at well below 30W! - so power is not really a primary consideration for me, but the amp has to be able to handle very low impedance without complaining or having any issues (aka various types of distortion!).

Lots of amps won't do that.

Personally, it is one of my criteria that an amp be able to handle "abnormal speakers" ..

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
As the owner of "abnormal speakers" (dropping down to 1.6ohm) - I can vouch for the Crown XLS2500 (and presumably the 2nd generation XLS2502) - which is rated 440W@8ohm and 1200W@2ohm....

But I can also state, that my vintage Quad 606 did a decent job, even though at 2 ohm it is current limited, putting out only 90W@2ohm, but 135W@8ohm... unconditionally stable into any load does the trick!

Comparing the two - the Crown sounded marginally better - but whether that would stand in a double blind test .... it may well be confirmation bias!

Looking at actual power usage in my setup -the 8ohm equivalent power use for 72db average listening level at the MLP tends to be well within the 1 to 5W range - and peaks, even allowing for 20db would still see things at well below 30W! - so power is not really a primary consideration for me, but the amp has to be able to handle very low impedance without complaining or having any issues (aka various types of distortion!).

Lots of amps won't do that.

Personally, it is one of my criteria that an amp be able to handle "abnormal speakers" ..
We could start a new thread on abnormal speakers and their abnormal owners! The big tent of audio accepts everyone, well, except for the audiophool types. We claim a tent door malfunction and send them on their way. LOL

Top Bottom