• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power supply options to reduce wall warts

Victorfabius

Hello,

So, I'm setting up a new listening area in my house, but have limited space for wall-wart style power supplies in this space. So, I'm looking for solutions that can help reduce reliance on these.

The intended stack I have/will have is:

DAC: (Schiit Modius, whenever the ESS version is available)
Tone Control: Schiit Lokius
Amp: Schiit Magnius

The power requirement appear as follows (as per Schiit's site):

Modius: +/- 5V (assumed)
Lokius: 14-16 VAC ; +/- 17V rails ; 6W power consumption
Magnius: 14-16 VAC ; +/- 13.5V rails ; 6-21W power consumption idle-max

I'm US-based, fwiw.

Is there a power supply that takes up little space, but is able to power all 3, or, at the very least, the Lokius and Magnius? And won't present a fire or other hazard for use in the US?

Thanks in advance!

egellings

Major Contributor
All I can think of would be a multiple output adjustable laboratory supply, or else a custom built one to provide that array of voltages. Or, just get an outlet strip roomy enough to accommodate all of the warts.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Or, just get an outlet strip roomy enough to accommodate all of the warts.
That would have been my thought. Maybe look for one in an unconventional shape if that's any help, and/or with mounting facilities for flat surfaces (wall, under a table / desk, ...). You can also DIY mounting brackets from metal strips if needed.

The Modius is USB-powered, so that potentially means one less wall wart there.

antennaguru

You can buy very short (1 foot) extension cords for a very low cost, that will allow you to lay a number of wall warts beside an outlet strip. That's the cheapest solution that will allow a typical compact spaced outlet strip to be used with a whole bunch of wall warts.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Didn't @amirm review a multi-outlet/voltage PSU a while back? A black unit. Maybe a few years ago.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Any power supply can be built to run all those three items, but you'd have to seriously question whether it was worth it.

That said, I hate wall warts in general, and understand your desire to be rid of them. They are cheap, nasty, take up more space than they should, put strain of power strip connections and really aren't terribly reliable, safe, or secure.

Depending on how Schiit have configured the internal PSUs to derive the split rails from the two AC input units, you may or may not be able to run them from a single AC external PSU. Email Schiit and ask them.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check Sweetwater or similar for guitar pedal board supplies - some have a dozen or so barrel outlets, each capable of different voltages.

Top Bottom