• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power Supply for Topping E30

marco80

Hi there,

I finally got my Topping E30 today and noticed that it doesn't include a power supply. Now if I remember correctly, the "linear-power" supply sounds better is a myth or at least not noticeable compared to a regular supply.

Also while it required (5V/1A), as it's USB I can just plug it into any USB charger like from an iPad or iPhone or some USB hub and it will regulate the power by itself. Is that correct or do I need a specific 5V/1A supply?

Thanks!

Marco

3125b

Major Contributor
I powered mine from a USB3 socket (USB3 has a higher current capability than USB2) from my mainboard and from a phone charger - both work absolutely fine. No need to spend money on an additional power supply.

OP
M

marco80

Actually my raspberry pi3b does a great job powering the DAC too as far as I can tell :)

DeepFried

i'm using an amazon brand 2 socket USB wall charger with my E30 with no complaints. its listed as 'AmazonBasics Dual-Port USB Wall Charger (2.4 Amp) - Black'

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would a usb wall charger offer the same kind of performance as a power bank?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Would a usb wall charger offer the same kind of performance as a power bank?

Depends on the wall charger and the power bank, surely? Power banks arent necessarily "clean", are they? And a DAC should have (this does)noise filters anyway

digitalfrost

Major Contributor

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
No, I’m afraid you can only charge it OR supply power to the DAC.

There may be other power banks which can do both at the same time, but you’ll have to search. I’m sure they exist.

NDC

I use a little Apple iPhone wall charger and it works excellently.

zacster

Would I be able to use an Anker 13000mAh phone charger into a RPi 3B, and then the USB out from the RPi to power the E30, and also a separate USB cable to feed the bits? I currently use this charger to power my RPi/Allo Boss combo without any problem, but the Boss HAT takes power directly through the pins. The charger will last almost the entire day powering this way.

Or would I be better off using my iFi iPower 5v charger? When I've used that with my RPi/Boss I found that it ruined the sound. (I re-read the post directly above, maybe it does ruin the sound) I guess that'll likely still be my answer, but I've also seen comments that the E30 isn't picky about power supplies.

NDC

Would I be able to use an Anker 13000mAh phone charger into a RPi 3B, and then the USB out from the RPi to power the E30, and also a separate USB cable to feed the bits? I currently use this charger to power my RPi/Allo Boss combo without any problem, but the Boss HAT takes power directly through the pins. The charger will last almost the entire day powering this way.

Or would I be better off using my iFi iPower 5v charger? When I've used that with my RPi/Boss I found that it ruined the sound. (I re-read the post directly above, maybe it does ruin the sound) I guess that'll likely still be my answer, but I've also seen comments that the E30 isn't picky about power supplies.

Assuming the power supply is engineered correctly, and has the right specifications, it shouldn’t affect the sound at all. I imagine you wouldn’t be able to differentiate the power supplies in a blind test, so go with whatever is best value.

You could probably power the E30 from the anker as well as the RPi if it has 2 ports. Then just run the USB cable out of the RPi to E30 for digital out.

tades

From my own experience, Ifi PS introduces even more glare than standard Phone PSU. I sent it back.
I would suspect that a battery PS has a too high dynamic impedance and would rather go for a powerfull non switching PSU.

zacster

So far I've powered it from a RPi USB port, where the RPi was powered by the Anker battery, and right now I'm listening to it plugged into my iMac for both source and power. I've only had it for a few hours now and haven't had much of a chance to play with it. Sounds good though.

raif71

Major Contributor
i'm using an amazon brand 2 socket USB wall charger with my E30 with no complaints. its listed as 'AmazonBasics Dual-Port USB Wall Charger (2.4 Amp) - Black'

Glad to hear it as I'm finding it hard to find a power supply board with exactly usb 5V/1A... all I could find was 5V/2.xA

Top Bottom