• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power issue with the headphone output in my amplifier.

sitherion

So, I bought the Cambridge Audio EVO 150 after research on this forum (many, many thanks for all the help; I owe you pics when I get receive speakers too), making a final list of 5 candidates (NAD M10, Lyngdorf TDAi 1120, Naim Uniti Atom, Arcam SA30, EVO 150), then checking them out live in demo at the shops.

Everything is perfect and I am very happy with the purchase. I tested the amplifier with the speakers that I wanted (+ subwf) on both digital and vinyl to see how it performs. As I am waiting for them to arrive, I am using the amp with just my headphones (Sennheiser HD660S). The issue is that it feels like the amp doesn't "provide" enough power to drive them. The headphones have 150 Ohms impedance and a frequency response of 10 Hz to 41 kHz. To get decent sound during the day I need to put the volume at 65-69 out of 100.

You might think that I just listen the music too loud but as a general rule I don't. I want to music to be loud enough to "feel" it but not enough to ruin my hearing and mess the experience. What I mean is that on my PC for example, I use the SoundBlaster AE-9 (ESS 9038Q2M DAC). It can drive headphones up to 150-600 Ohms, as you can select from low (16-31), mid (32-149) and high options. In AE-9 I listen to headphones at 10 (max20) out of 100 of the power. The EVO has a similar "feeling" if I put the selector in the AE-9 at mid-level.

My question is: are there any extensions that you would recommend to connect my headphones at and subsequently the extension to the EVO 150? I don't want to be a headphone DAC...I just want to offer a boost of power to the headphones but without creating much distortion in between if possible.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You either have to use high sensitivity low impedance headphones from its 3.5mm output or buy a headphone amp (does not need to be expensive) or you can use the speaker out terminals with an appropriate attenuator.

The headphone out is an afterthought in this amp. They don't even take the trouble specifying it.

OP
S

sitherion

You either have to use high sensitivity low impedance headphones from its 3.5mm output or buy a headphone amp (does not need to be expensive) or you can use the speaker out terminals with an appropriate attenuator.

The headphone out is an afterthought in this amp. They don't even take the trouble specifying it.

Got it! Thanks! :)

OP
S

sitherion

I ended up remembering that I have a FiiO A3 somewhere and I used that. Actually didn’t alter the quality…no hissing or anything, but increased the volume output significantly. As a comparison I used to have it all the way up to 65-70, now is down to 30. More aligned to my AE-9 output.

Top Bottom