• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

power for Topping D50s: ifi iPower X or Topping P50?

skyfly

Which is better for Topping D50s, ifi iPower X or Topping P50?

OP
S

skyfly

Just avoid ifi and everything else should be alright.
As for ifi, I measured increased spurious tones with ifi iDefender (the red one claimed for ground isolating for USB) connected to computer or the USB hub in computer monitor, However, I measured hastily with cheap Focusrite and Mackie USB interfaces. So I do not yet have good reasons to reject ifi.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As for ifi, I measured increased spurious tones with ifi iDefender (the red one claimed for ground isolating for USB) connected to computer or the USB hub in computer monitor, However, I measured hastily with cheap Focusrite and Mackie USB interfaces. So I do not yet have good reasons to reject ifi.

But why do you need any?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I tried once and it made everything worse. Just use about anything, it will be better than Ifi.

OP
S

skyfly

I meant increased spurious tones in DAC's analog output.

cyruz

Did you have any ground loop issue?

Regarding the power supply, aside from measurements, everything you will choose will be not even remotely audible...

OP
S

skyfly

Correct. But why do you need any special power supply?

In my hasty measurement, ifi iPower (cheaper than iPower X) resulted in lower noise in the analog output of the DAC than USB socket on computer or computer monitor. So I am wondering whether I can see even lower noise on REW screen with other power supply (of course hearing the difference is another issue, and the resolution of my cheap Focusrite and Mackie USB interface could be a problem in the measurement).

I did not compare ifi iPower to iPhone 5V supply.

Bob101

Did you have any ground loop issue?

Regarding the power supply, aside from measurements, everything you will choose will be not even remotely audible...

There is audible noise in my speakers trough my DAC with every power source except a powerbank and the ifi iPower. That tells me it works; more than any measurement...

eyes-on-you

In my hasty measurement, ifi iPower (cheaper than iPower X) resulted in lower noise in the analog output of the DAC than USB socket on computer or computer monitor. So I am wondering whether I can see even lower noise on REW screen with other power supply (of course hearing the difference is another issue, and the resolution of my cheap Focusrite and Mackie USB interface could be a problem in the measurement).

I did not compare ifi iPower to iPhone 5V supply.

Could you share measurements?

I read bad experience about ifi ipower here. I am using two of them with my router.

I wonder is it good or bad idea.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is audible noise in my speakers trough my DAC with every power source except a powerbank and the ifi iPower. That tells me it works; more than any measurement...

I think it tells you that you have a ground loop via the USB ground connection which can be fixed with a cheap USB Isolator. I use this one: Nobsound USB to USB Isolator Module Audio Noise: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Note that the iFi Defender isolator I bought at the same time as the Nobsound did not fix my ground loop issue and it went back to Amazon.

I run both my D50s and A50s from a P50 for aesthetic reasons and to simplify my cabling. It doesn't improve the sound from either device. In fact, it reduces the amount of power delivered by my A50s over that available from the stock PSU (which is not an issue with my current cans).

STF_YVR

Will Topping release a P50s with a greater output to address that issue ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Will Topping release a P50s with a greater output to address that issue ?

I very much doubt it. Maybe a different PS to match a different range of DAC/Amps.

b4nt

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I think you are wrong. A typical power bank is built with some LiPos for 3,7 to 7,2V and a switching DC/DC converter, usually poor (high ripple at the 5V output). To notice a real difference, one would have to use some batteries and a low noise linear regulator.

Using a power bank (assuming it was such a Lipo bank), you feeded 5V isolated from mains noises.

iFi iPower units seem to be almost basic switching supplies, with maybe a approach to lower EMI/RF noises (filter on the output). One of those units looks like a cheap plastic wall adapter, but sold at high price.

That tells me it works; more than any measurement...

You are correct. What you can hear (or not) is better than any other measurement. Nice if it solved your issue.

I've iFi also, bought in China, branded BRZHiFi. A decent built low noise PSU in an aluminium enclosure (for shielding).

Then I noticed I had occasionnal clicks, pops, and often low level weird noises. It took me some weeks to understand what the sources where (EMI, RF/4G and mains related), and how to solve that. Since this week end, I've no more noise.

I corrected grounding and earthing inside my power amp, added some 1m/1,5mm² copper to link other units, upgraded my RCA cables, added a cheap filter on my USB port (to filter 5V VBUS). And I moved away my 4G phone.

Top Bottom