• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power failure...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello everyone. We received 6 inches of snow which for us might as well be 6 feet :) we then had high winds which killed power. :( We have generator but the ISP doesn't so not sure how long internet access will last.

My request is for everyone to behave. Senior members should lead by example.

Hopefully all gets resolved by tomorrow.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wondered if you were getting the snow I saw on the weather map.

Stay warm and don't go snowblind.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Glad the outage was not too long, and hope damage was minimal!
I was very surprised how fast the fixed it. Must have been a more central failure as they had 40,000 homes without power.

The aftermath may be worse though with 21 degree temps now, and more storms along the way.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
A few years ago a blizzard/ice storm took out hundreds of main power poles (the last estimate I saw was 1200 to 1300 total). Our neighborhood's lines are underground, but the HV feeders were wiped out for many miles. We were without power for nearly a week. We have a whole-house natural gas generator now... We've been without power for a day or so since that time and a few hours many times; very happy to have a generator!

Stay safe, and warm, Amir (and all the rest out your way!)

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to live in the Seattle area for over a decade and don't remember seeing this crazy of a winter. I visit once a quarter for work and I am glad I am not there right now.

I heard this last fall felt like an extended summer so this is payback time I guess.

Oh and save the generator for the AP. The fridge can wait. :)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Yah, here too, but 6" there is probably wet heavy stuff equal to about a foot here. This is the first weekend in a few I have not had to haul out the snowthrower and shovel. We still have 3'~4' piles all around the house and the back lot still has 6"~12" on it. Hasn't been warm enough to melt much of it. Supposed to be windy tomorrow so hopefully knock it down some before we get your storm later this week.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yah, here too, but 6" there is probably wet heavy stuff equal to about a foot here. This is the first weekend in a few I have not had to haul out the snowthrower and shovel.
Speaking of snowblowers, I had bought an electric one some 5 to 7 years ago and it was still in the box. Got it out to use it and boy, was it a toy. I eventually did "the job" meaning cleared out 20% of front yard after 2 hours of work. It would bog down on just 6 inches of snow, and would get stuck and not roll forward. The handle for changing shoot direction broke in 5 minutes just like Amazon reviews warned then!

Hard to justify getting a gas one for so little use we get. But boy would it have been useful for this storm!

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of snowblowers, I had bought an electric one some 5 to 7 years ago and it was still in the box. Got it out to use it and boy, was it a toy. I eventually did "the job" meaning cleared out 20% of front yard after 2 hours of work. It would bog down on just 6 inches of snow, and would get stuck and not roll forward. The handle for changing shoot direction broke in 5 minutes just like Amazon reviews warned then!

Hard to justify getting a gas one for so little use we get. But boy would it have been useful for this storm!

I had a en electric snowblower as well and I spent half the time managing the power cable. I now have the EGO battery powered snow blower and it is far superior. Single-stage and not powerful enough to clear out what the plow truck deposits outside our driveway, but it handles up to a foot of snow quite easily. It would be perfect for infrequent use in Seattle area. It folds up so doesn't take up too much space in the garage.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I had a en electric snowblower as well and I spent half the time managing the power cable. I now have the EGO battery powered snow blower and it is far superior. Single-stage and not powerful enough to clear out what the plow truck deposits outside our driveway, but it handles up to a foot of snow quite easily. It would be perfect for infrequent use in Seattle area. It folds up so doesn't take up too much space in the garage.
That would be great. Managing the power extension cable was indeed hell. I just assumed the battery operated one would be worse. Thanks for letting me know otherwise.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I have a 30" gas powered thrower. Don't need it all that often (couple dozen times a season), but when we get snow enough to need it, I need a big one... The Ego unit looks attractive for the times I just need a little one. I have an Ego weed wacker and chainsaw I really like. They were highly rated by CU if that matters.

I couldn't handle dealing with an extension cord especially in the snow; that sounds crazy.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be great. Managing the power extension cable was indeed hell. I just assumed the battery operated one would be worse. Thanks for letting me know otherwise.

I also have eGO's lawnmower and leaf blower. The batteries are interchangeable and last more than long enough for my needs.

I have a 30" gas powered thrower

I am tempted to get the Ariens 24" two-stage. The mountain the plow truck leaves behind is too much for my back.

Top Bottom