• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power cord review section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am new here. Is there a power cord review section?
Hi, Welcome to ASR....

No - because power cords (like most other cables) are repeatedly found to make no difference whatsoever.

If you go to the reveiw index, you should be able to find any tests that have been done on power cables.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, they get reviewed all right. So far, none have actually offered any value except as decorations.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I always use Belden, for the industrial sound it gives to all my music :cool:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All amplifier, all DAC all cords sounds the same??
All cords yes. Speaker cables need to be a minimum guage/cross sectional area (Ie low enough resistance). After that they will not have a sound.

Interconnects, USB cables, toslink etc. sound the same as long as they work at all. Obviously if you have a ground noise issue with unbalanced cables, then this can be eliminated with balanced cables.

Amps and dacs - if they are well designed such that they have sufficiently low noise and distortion - and flat frequency response : will (you've guessed it) not have a sound. Badly measuring devices may be distinguishable.

But why that question?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I was gonna tell everybody to take a drink! ...But remembered this is the wrong Audio Site for my drinking game.
In the spirit of a good time, perhaps we should all take a drink anyway everytime somebody starts a new Cable, Interconnect or Power Cord thread! :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was gonna tell everybody to take a drink! ...But remembered this is the wrong Audio Site for my drinking game.
In the spirit of a good time, perhaps we should all take a drink anyway everytime somebody starts a new Cable, Interconnect or Power Cord thread! :D
Are you a liver doctor? Good for business! :facepalm:

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
C'mon. If this isn't bait... did he even show the secret ASR handshake?

OP
sunny7day

sunny7day

Since money isn't really a problem for me, I have decide to give GR Research B24 AC cable a try.

Oh btw, try swapping different ac cables on your power amp (not DAC!) most likely you will hear different sound. Or even change the wall power socket. I am outa here good luck.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since money isn't really a problem for me, I have decide to give GR Research B24 AC cable a try.

Oh btw, try swapping different ac cables on your power amp (not DAC!) most likely you will hear different sound. Or even change the wall power socket. I am outa here good luck.
Ah - the hand-grenade-into-the-pond-and-run trolling technique. :p:cool:

MAB

Major Contributor
I am new here. Is there a power cord review section?
Welcome, you have asked a potentially loaded question for your first post! I hope we all survive it!;)
There is no section because of all of the cables, power cables are the most unimportant. And by that I mean no importance at all except that you have them isntsalled so your equipment has power.

All amplifier, all DAC all cords sounds the same??
OK, so that this isn't a one-way street, please answer some questions.
Why do you think power cables sound different?
Also, are you expanding your question beyond power cables to interconnect and speaker cables, and DACs? If so, what characteristics do you think will cause a change in sound? Like, do you think two speaker cables of the same length and resistivity all other things being equal will sound different?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m new here. Where is the astrology section?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom