• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power cord blind test

mansr

Major Contributor
Unlike high end audio, the sometimes wacky world of electric guitars has its own share of marketing madness. I think 'nano' particles must be the latest marketing buzz-word. Of course unlike high-end cables, the stuff you string your guitar with will probably make some kind of tonal difference. But the description of them is right out of a high end magazine review.

...these nickel-plated steel electric guitar strings boast a ton of bright, vibrant presence and dynamic punch. Compared to our original POLYWEB Coating, the ultra-thin NANOWEB Coating allows a more traditionally textured, "uncoated" feel.
If an "uncoated" feel is what's desired, why "coat" them in the first place? Protection from something? Also, are we still talking about guitar strings or about something entirely different that may or may not be "coated"?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If an "uncoated" feel is what's desired, why "coat" them in the first place? Protection from something?
Mostly for anti-corrosion. Uncoated strings turn funky looking after a shorter while compared to coated. That said, guitar strings are pretty cheap to replace, especially when compared to something like a double bass.

audiophile

Is there is any, it is either intended, or an "error" in the recording process
I believe neither is true in this case. I trust the guy who made the video. He is not selling anything and not making any money from the videos (he is using copyrighted music).

And if it does need a high end system to hear it, then why it could be audible through YT compression
Maybe because the differences are bigger than those introduced by YT compression which is actually not that bad in 2020 like everyone used to think.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I believe neither is true in this case. I trust the guy who made the video. He is not selling anything and not making any money from the videos (he is using copyrighted music).

Maybe because the differences are bigger than those introduced by YT compression which is actually not that bad in 2020 like everyone used to think.

Differences that big would be visible in a simple frequency wave spectrum. Wouldn't be any need for listening tests at all. You could simply look at the spectrum and see the difference.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He is not selling anything and not making any money from the videos
The guy is, intentionally or not, spreading audiophile BS mysticism. That's enough for me to advocate against.
YT compression aside, it still recorded, mixed, and played through different systems...

But that's not my main concern here. Power cable don't and can't make any audible difference. Whatever it is measured or heard IRL (in DBT).

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
Mostly for anti-corrosion. Uncoated strings turn funky looking after a shorter while compared to coated. That said, guitar strings are pretty cheap to replace, especially when compared to something like a double bass.
The strings in question were said to be nickel-plated. Last I checked, nickel does not corrode easily, which is why it is often used on electrical connectors.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For me, power cord makes a big big difference. OK, I never tried those expensive one because I don't believe in them. But, Those black computer cables vs cheap DIY solid core power cable using belden solid core cable (overall less than $20 to make). Big difference. One main thing is I notice is the bass. Its tighter, but some may perceive it as lack of bass.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
For me, power cord makes a big big difference. OK, I never tried those expensive one because I don't believe in them. But, Those black computer cables vs cheap DIY solid core power cable using belden solid core cable (overall less than $20 to make). Big difference. One main thing is I notice is the bass. Its tighter, but some may perceive it as lack of bass.

Can you describe your methods for doing the evaluations, especially the controls to make it ears-only?

Tks

Major Contributor
The strings in question were said to be nickel-plated. Last I checked, nickel does not corrode easily, which is why it is often used on electrical connectors.

Used nearly everywhere where precious metals are too expensive to prevent corrosion (though obviously care needs to be taken for folks with nickel allergies not to go overboard with the alloy ratio). Rolex's 904L stainless steel has more nickel than the standard 316: variant used nearly everywhere else for this reason.

escksu

Big difference???? It's all in your head. You can focus and bring attention to different parts of the audio spectrum, intentionally or not. This topic has been covered ad nauseam on this site.

Well, even its just in my head, its still matters to me. Afterall, I am the one who is listening. Having said that, not everyone can perceive any difference. Its normal.

escksu

If an "uncoated" feel is what's desired, why "coat" them in the first place? Protection from something? Also, are we still talking about guitar strings or about something entirely different that may or may not be "coated"?

Coating, it could be about protection from corrosion. And then, one thing, different metals have different properties. Having 2 different metals together affects the way it vibrates and stretches. They only say plated, didn't say how thick is the plating.

https://www.mdpi.com/2079-6412/7/2/32/htm

Plating, coating using different materials will affect the way metals vibrate.

escksu

Can you explain your position without using such vague generalities? What exactly are you saying, and how does it relate to how we understand audio equipment to work? What exactly does the paper mean to you? At the moment you come across as lost. I do recommend you search for the many power cables related threads on the site.

lol........the post is talking about guitar strings, not audio equipment.

Vauge?? I think anyone with some physics background will understand what I am talking about......

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having said that, not everyone can perceive any difference. Its normal
It is. But, since it's Audio Science Review, we are actually interested by things making audible difference for real. Not in each individual heads.
For me, power cord makes a big big difference
The main concern about power cords myths, it that they are very difficult to test double blind, since electronics has to be turned off and on, and the audio memory will be affected. However, even with that, there is absolutely no (not one) double blind test that show any perceived audible differences with PC, better or worse... Or maybe you will be the first to prove it that way?

In fact, the only blind (ABX) test I know is from French mag Canard PC Hardware. Here are rhe results:

IMG_20200716_085651.jpg

One funny thing there is that the listener is testing his own audiophile cable... Which he's unable to pick against 2€ no-name one.

escksu

It is. But, since it's Audio Science Review, we are actually interested by things making audible difference for real. Not in each individual heads.

The main concern about power cords myths, it that they are very difficult to test double blind, since electronics has to be turned off and on, and the audio memory will be affected. However, even with that, there is absolutely no (not one) double blind test that show any perceived audible differences with PC, better or worse... Or maybe you will be the first to prove it that way?

In fact, the only blind (ABX) test I know is from French mag Canard PC Hardware. Here are rhe results:

View attachment 73545

One funny thing there is that the listener is testing his own audiophile cable... Which he's unable to pick against 2€ no-name one.

I see, make sense to me. Thanks!! OK, how do you prove that they are all the same???

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, how do you prove that they are all the same???
By measurements!:)
If there isn't any change in amp/DAC/anything outputs, then there's no audible difference. If some think there still is (which somehow cannot be measured...), then, the opposite has to be proved by blind test. Strangely, it never happened.;)

You said bass is tighter with your PC. This has to be seen somewhere in your amp output measured. If not, it doesn't exist.

Last edited:

escksu

By measurements!:)
If there isn't any change in amp/DAC/anything outputs, then there's no audible difference. If some think there still is (which somehow cannot be measured...), then, the opposite has to be proved by blind test. Strangely, it never happened.;)

You said bass is tighter with your PC. This has to be seen somewhere in your amp output measured. If not, it doesn't exist.

I see. Thanks!!

mansr

Major Contributor
Can you explain your position without using such vague generalities? What exactly are you saying, and how does it relate to how we understand audio equipment to work? What exactly does the paper mean to you? At the moment you come across as lost. I do recommend you search for the many power cables related threads on the site.
Of course materials can affect the behaviour of a guitar string. Density and elastic modulus are probably the most important in determining vibration characteristics while the surface structure (friction) will affect plucking.

Getting back on topic, I'd like to know how a guitar sounds if it is strung with Shunyata power leads.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course materials can affect the behaviour of a guitar string. Density and elastic modulus are probably the most important in determining vibration characteristics while the surface structure (friction) will affect plucking.

Getting back on topic, I'd like to know how a guitar sounds if it is strung with Shunyata power leads.
Sure thing!

But as always, audiophiles tend to mix up sound production with sound reproduction to back their claims.;)

Koeitje

Major Contributor

View attachment 73545

Do you have a link to the original article, preferably in a format I can translate (my french is a bit rusty)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom