• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power cord blind test

digicidal

Major Contributor
Obviously (for their target market at least) the cost is a non-issue. Either that or their priorities are strange. I can't imagine ever spending more than 1% of the cost of a thing on decorations for it. The luxury market is quite different... to some it makes sense to get a $600 smartphone covered with gold and diamonds for $10K more. Pretty sure it doesn't work any better either - in fact it probably gets slightly worse reception. LOL

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, if you want to pimp it out, you can always add your own Techflex:

https://www.techflex.com/news_announcements/tightweave-new-colors
1563763820389.png

1563763843976.png

1563763858095.png

1563763913687.png

These tend to do better in Non-blind tests also known as sighted testing.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I use paracord for PC sleeving... softer and better color range IMO. I think they do better in non-blind testing as well. Probably get an extra 100MHz on the CPU just from that. :cool:
D75_0214.jpeg

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But does the IEC power cord that came with your amp, DAC, etc. adequate? If not, what would be a sensible replacement? What is the Blue Jeans or Mogami of power cords (if such a thing exists)?
They should be adequate. That said, for high power applications, I plan to test a few alternatives.

diegooo1972

Considering that high power cable rise temperature and change properties a little can be a good idea to have a bigger cable for high power equipment ?
Just to avoid temperature rising. I think that we'll never see that in the dac output.

digicidal

Major Contributor
It's theoretically possible I suppose, but again raises the question about engineering/manufacturing competency. As seen in the examples just in this thread, it's either the same price or a very, very slight increase to provide a larger gauge cable (especially if purchased in bulk). If that extra few pennies was more important than adequate power delivery... then they almost certainly went cheap in other areas of the design. That is way more likely to cause audible problems - that no cord will ever fix.

All of the subs and amps I've ever purchased (as well as PC power supplies, etc.) came with fairly beefy cords (12-14 AWG). However, all of the source components came with skinny ones (18 AWG at most).

With some of the luxury cords, I wonder how much of that garden hose size is just insulation or fillers... is the actual wire used even the same gauge as the cheap cord that came with the amp?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Considering that high power cable rise temperature and change properties a little can be a good idea to have a bigger cable for high power equipment ?
Just to avoid temperature rising. I think that we'll never see that in the dac output.

A not too special power supply will make that inconsequential.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I wonder what power cable this guy uses with his personal transformer.

With all that clutter and reflective surfaces in the listening rooms ... one has to wonder why they even bother with such extreme measures ! :rolleyes:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With all that clutter and reflective surfaces in the listening rooms ... one has to wonder why they even bother with such extreme measures ! :rolleyes:

Ha, the irony of the gentleman's initial comments in that video "I found that I had long listened to music filled with noise. I could not stand it anymore."

While the image has him putting a record on his turntable. :)

Well, there's your noise! If you are that allergic to any background noise, you shouldn't be using a turntable. It seems to defy plausibility to me that whatever he did for his electricity to lower the noise floor would have been audible through the noise floor of his records. (Unless, perhaps, if he had truly execrable electricity and equipment with poor filtering and so was actually hearing significant AC noise I suppose).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But does the IEC power cord that came with your amp, DAC, etc. adequate? If not, what would be a sensible replacement? What is the Blue Jeans or Mogami of power cords (if such a thing exists)?
If your looking for a inexpensive upgrade, Monoprice sells these 15A 14AWG cords. I bought 2 to upgrade and lengthen the ones that came with my switching power strips. $5.00 for 6ft.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5292

kn0ppers

It seems to b a common thing with Japanese audiophiles having the most expensive, boutique, modded and generally over-the-top gear, but placing it in tiny rooms or rooms without any acoustic treating.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, your thoughts on the 2nd video?
The online service I was using to capture the video no longer works and is asking me to buy some app to do it. I am not going there so nothing from me unfortunately.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
download link for the video: (so you can store it on the PC and analyze it)

https://uptobox.com/ogobjtzw3nyc

will probably only be there for a few days and then gets deleted automatically

Last edited:

ripvw

Forum Donor

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am starting a company selling audiophile rotary converters. We used these on the British Antarctic Survey ships when I worked for BAS and the scientists all agreed that veils were lifted and that their scientific instruments had more rhythm,pace and slam when fed by the clean supply and that it was like being moved two rows forward.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I am starting a company selling audiophile rotary converters. We used these on the British Antarctic Survey ships when I worked for BAS and the scientists all agreed that veils were lifted and that their scientific instruments had more rhythm,pace and slam when fed by the clean supply and that it was like being moved two rows forward.

But ... but the Earth is flat ! How can the Antartic be real ? :D:D:D:p

Wombat

Master Contributor
Down-sized versions of these can get your supply power factor to maintain constant unity. No more lagging(slow) or leading(fast) supply current. :facepalm:

Synchronous Condenser

digicidal

Major Contributor
Down-sized versions of these can get your supply power factor to maintain constant unity. No more lagging(slow) or leading(fast) supply current. :facepalm:

Synchronous Condenser
Great... however after putting one in my yard, the bigger problem will be if I get to keep any of my gear in the subsequent divorce.

Top Bottom