• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power cables with good review.

Ronen

Is there a Power cables with good review ?
Meaning , Power cable that justify its price and reputation ...
Thanks

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
back-to-the-future-what-have-i-done.gif

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I see you just joined. On ASR we basically measure anything, but there's not much to measure on a power cable, although Amir has measured a few power filters which did nothing to improve noise.

So, in short, any cable will do. Ac power is converted to dc in about any device iirc and filtered if necessary by that device. Any device that doesn't do that is basically not fit for purpose.

Last edited:

Speedskater

Major Contributor
For a 'UL' listed AC power cord, the important factors are:
a] correctly wired. (I have read reports about name brand cords being mis-wired.
b] robust construction of the cord and connectors.
c] low resistance contact between cord and connector.
only big power amps need heavy cords.

OP
R

Ronen

Well, I don’t understand if cable is only a cable why ( for example) AudioQuest say : Quote : “efficiently drain RF noise from the line and neutral shields to ground via the third “ground” pin.” End Quote

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Well, I don’t understand if cable is only a cable why ( for example) AudioQuest say : Quote : “efficiently drain RF noise from the line and neutral shields to ground via the third “ground” pin.” End Quote

There's a reason they are often referred to around here as FraudioQuest...

Katji

Major Contributor
^^^ :D:D:D LOL!

Like Energizer and Duracell.

AudiOhm

Sales pitch, nothing to backup their claims...

Ohms

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish people would read a little here before posting.

Katji

Major Contributor
Ok, so do the employees get share options?

Unfortunately we were taught that we needed to get educated and get a good job, instead of being taught that we needed to make money and retire when we're 40-something.

Last year, I was watching NARCOS and El Chapo, both on tv at the same time. I was thinking that maybe if I had my life again....it might be a better choice - make piles of money and shoot politicians who don't cooperate.

ta240

Major Contributor
Get a electric safe cable. Thats it, well done. Forgett about power cables.
Unless you really like fighting an overly heavy cable everytime you go to move something. I finally stopped using the $60 power cable, I bought when I didn't know better, because it was so heavy and unbendable.

Gregss

Get a electric safe cable. Thats it, well done. Forgett about power cables.
Hello,

If you really want to get obsessive without spending much, find hospital grade power cable. These use better than average connectors, good wire and are specified to have low resistance connections and good strain relief. Used on hospital equipment including life support, so certainly good enough. ( most of these rated cables are 16 and 14 gauge wires, although with enough looking I have found them in 12 gauge as well. )

Regards,
Greg

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Hello,

If you really want to get obsessive without spending much, find hospital grade power cable. These use better than average connectors, good wire and are specified to have low resistance connections and good strain relief. Used on hospital equipment including life support, so certainly good enough. ( most of these rated cables are 16 and 14 gauge wires, although with enough looking I have found them in 12 gauge as well. )

Regards,
Greg

If you feel better with thats ok, but sound it will not change.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
AudioQuest say : Quote : “efficiently drain RF noise from the line and neutral shields to ground via the third “ground” pin.” End Quote
It may well be a almost true statement. But 'drain' needs to be replaced with 'shield'.
Does it improve AC power quality in any useful way? Doubtful, very doubtful.
Better AudioQuest should talk about a safety 'UL' listing.

OP
R

Ronen

Regarding AudioQuest, I now understand.
What about Transparent Cable ?

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What about Transparent Cable ?
A cable is a cable, unless you can measure a significant difference, which as not happened yet, the sound is always the same. Can you believe you, or anyone else, can hear a difference? Yes.
Listen to the video in my post here, it will explain to you why and hopefully steer you toward things that make a difference in the sound you listen to and steer you away from the snake oil arguments that will only change the amount of money available to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom