• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

power cables from amazon

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I am curious about interference coming in/out of cables....

My wife once borrowed an expensive meter from work that can measure certain fields including magnetic field. For fun, I measured magnetic field outside of many power cables and it was strong once the meter got very close or touched the wire.

Would all the mess of power cables, interconnect cables, speaker wires, antenna wire, etc, when overlapping each other and place close to other playback devices, cause any interference that potentially audible?

When running mains cables tied together with RCA cables in parallel connected to phono or microphone wires this may be problematic.
With line cables this may not be audible but can well be measurable.

When possible keep RCA cables at least a few cm away from mains cables and when they have to cross do this at a 90 degree angle.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
When running mains cables tied together with RCA cables in parallel connected to phono or microphone wires this may be problematic.
With line cables this may not be audible but can well be measurable.

When possible keep RCA cables at least a few cm away from mains cables and when they have to cross do this at a 90 degree angle.

May I know if the reason to keep RCA away from mains is due to magnetic field? If that interference is audible, what would I listen for?

Also, how strong would the managtic field need to be for it to matter?

I have measured magnetic field around multi-plugins electrical outlet and it was measured at 100 max (scale of 0 to 100) even from like 4 inches away. Would that cause any issue to RCA cable if it is within that distance, even without touching any power cable?

Thanks!

OP
izeek

izeek

I am enjoying my new cable. I LIKE the look. It was fun putting it in.That was the purpose. Can't wait for the other two.
It did nothing for performance other than replacing a cable that wouldn't keep a good connection. It wasn't supposed to.
I wanted them to match.
If you like plain vanilla help yourself.
Loosen up, peeples.:cool:

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning

BluesDaddy

I am enjoying my new cable. I LIKE the look. It was fun putting it in.That was the purpose. Can't wait for the other two.
It did nothing for performance other than replacing a cable that wouldn't keep a good connection. It wasn't supposed to.
I wanted them to match.
While I agree all those are perfectly fine reasons to have replaced a cable, I'm unclear as to how it is you can even see the cables after their "installed" and plugged in. I don't see ANY of the myriad of power cables in my system unless I get up and peer behind the setup when something goes wrong or I'm installing something else. The only cables I see from my listening position are those to my speakers.

OP
izeek

izeek

I am enjoying my new cables. I LIKE the look. It was fun putting it.That was the purpose.
If you like plain vanilla help yourself. :cool:
Loosen up, peeples.
I bought an Amazon power cord for the looks and my amp blew a fuse shortly after installing it. Back to UL-certified Tripp Lite for me.
Makes sense. So far no problem.

OP
izeek

izeek

While I agree all those are perfectly fine reasons to have replaced a cable, I'm unclear as to how it is you can even see the cables after their "installed" and plugged in. I don't see ANY of the myriad of power cables in my system unless I get up and peer behind the setup when something goes wrong or I'm installing something else. The only cables I see from my listening position are those to my speakers.
Doesn't matter.

BluesDaddy

Doesn't matter.
Not essentially, but he said he bought them because he "likes the looks" but once in place, the looks become irrelevant because they'd no longer be seen. I'm just curious.

ta240

Major Contributor
I bought an Amazon power cord for the looks and my amp blew a fuse shortly after installing it. Back to UL-certified Tripp Lite for me.

In what way would a power cable be able to cause a fuse to blow; especially not instantly?

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wanted them to match.
Enjoy them mang. Small price for simple pleasures.

OP
izeek

izeek

Not essentially, but he said he bought them because he "likes the looks" but once in place, the looks become irrelevant because they'd no longer be seen. I'm just curious.
Why is it such a bother to you? They're my cables I enjoy them. Whether you think I can see or not is irrelevant.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
In what way would a power cable be able to cause a fuse to blow; especially not instantly?
Yeah, I was chewing that one over, as well. :)
I wonder if it was repeatable?
I am thinking we've got that correlation/causation thing goin' on, but, who knows?

;)

JDragon

I don’t know but I figure there’s not much downside to going with a reputable certified manufacturer, besides not having some audio jewelry.

BluesDaddy

Why is it such a bother to you? They're my cables I enjoy them. Whether you think I can see or not is irrelevant.
In what way did I indicate I was "bothered"? What a curious assumption to jump to. What makes you so defensive about it? I am simply curious. I like to actually see jewelry I buy.

OP
izeek

izeek

In what way did I indicate I was "bothered"? What a curious assumption to jump to. What makes you so defensive about it? I am simply curious. I like to actually see jewelry I buy.
I really love that passive-aggressive response, mate.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Moving on please...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
we need a thread titled "Power Cables from The Amazon"

lotsa big snakes

Top Bottom