• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power cable tech talk and a little help for Amir at Audio Science Review

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Science is not believed in.
True, not a great phrase. "here we follow a scientific process" is better.

In my case it might be better to say I follow a Bayesian process to decide what pieces of information deserve consideration in revising my beliefs. Probably true for many other ASR denizens.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
It's known.

I wouldn't say that. But it gives you the absolutely best things to bet on.

Some folks love pointing out that science isn't absolute and use it as an excuse for running around i circles.

But then again, what is a hobby if not an enjoyable waste of time? Can't really blame people for wanting to waste it on dreams.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But then again, what is a hobby if not an enjoyable waste of time?
That’s the crux of it. For some the hobby is fiddling around with new gear. But everyone *says* it is listening to music because the former sounds sort of empty/low status and the latter has become imbued with all sorts of quasi-spiritual ideas. We don’t mind the musical experience being all in the head, but it feels like the gear should be grounded in material science or we are flakey.

So people who are very attached to subjective gear-fiddling fool themselves into thinking it is something else.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As usual, Danny's strongest arguments are that if you can't hear a difference, than your system, setup, room, or possibly your hearing is just simply not good enough. I wish this would stop some day.

If that’s the strongest, I’d hate to see the weakest.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My wife yelled from the other side of the house “I can’t hear a difference!”
Just quoting here because I wish I could like this twice.

My friend who’s a musician came over and I played it for him. He went completely slack-jawed and said it was the most profound lack of difference he’d ever (not) heard.

OShag

Oh my. This can't end well :D
Lol! Yes let the battle commence. I have to say I am with Amir on this one. The whole ‘high-end’ power cord thing is just opportunist folk out to make an easy buck or 5k, figuring out there are a lot of dummies who fall for pseudo science marketing bs.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a pity you have to explain this to people. Not that a lot of them will believe you, even so.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a pity you have to explain this to people. Not that a lot of them will believe you, even so.
Ask them if they believe a special battery cable for a car makes it run smoother… I bet most will say they don’t think that is the case. Yet as soon as audio is the subject all comin sense goes out of the window…o_O

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ask them if they believe a special battery cable for a car makes it run smoother… I bet most will say they don’t think that is the case. Yet as soon as audio is the subject all comin sense goes out of the window…o_O
Often using the hilarious argument, "Well they wouldn't sell them if they did nothing!" :facepalm:

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

Are you sure? Some people inflate their car tyres with nitrogen, often at considerable cost.

Me? I run my tyres at about 78% nitrogen…

Top Bottom