• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power cable tech talk and a little help for Amir at Audio Science Review

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes!

Some do, but we also see that what we’re doing here works. Danny would not need to make these videos specific referencing @amirm and his community if it weren’t so.

Ignoring a problem doesn’t make it go away.
Well it is not a problem for those who follow Danny. And it is not a problem for those don't. So maybe it is not a problem at all?
Besides, following the wisdom of Bernard Shaw, you get dirty wrestling with the likes of Danny, and I suspect they like it.

GnR is thekind of stuff that bites, but doesn't really leave a mark. Great fun though, and lots of ear worms.
My personal idea of a perfect balance between a fist full of Metal and a glob of cheese is the golden trio from Accept: Restless and Wild, Balls to the Wall and Metal Heart :)
Great observation and nice recommendation! Tusind tak!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well it is not a problem for those who follow Danny. And it is not a problem for those don't. So maybe it is not a problem at all?
As long as the number of followers of Danny get's lower, and ours get more, it's probably worth it. And so far, it looks like it is, otherwise he would just ignore ASR.
Besides, following the wisdom of Bernard Shaw, you get dirty wrestling with the likes of Danny, and I suspect they like it.
Nobody said you wouldn't get dirty ;)

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

Great observation and nice recommendation! Tusind tak!

How is shining a light on scams and false advertising "getting dirty?" This is enjoyable as far as I'm concerned. Honestly, the past half-century or so of audiophile history has shown us how it goes when nobody calls out the BS. The ship is slowly being turned around now and it seems like quite a lot of people in the community have started to realize just how silly a significant segment of the hobby has become.

It's not realy all that important that anyone gets some sort of formal victory. All that really matters is that people are inspired to maybe ask some questions in their own heads and challenge a few of their own preconceived notions about things. For myself, it didn't really take a bunch of carefully constructed blind ABX tests to make me realize that I wasn't going to hear any differences between almost any amps or dacs or cables or any of the more extreme woo-woo products. All it took was honestly trying to ID differences between some things that "should" be wildly distinct and not really being able to do so. If I can't reliably identify differences between 256kb lossy and hi-res lossless sources, or between SBC bluetooth and hi-res wired under normal listening conditions, then there's no way I'm hearing any differences between any 2 things that are measureably identical under similar circumstances.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How is shining a light on scams and false advertising "getting dirty?" This is enjoyable as far as I'm concerned.
Scammers and false advertisers do everything they can to avoid having a proper discussion. I enjoy arguing online as much as the next guy, but I find arguments with them to be tedious, and turn into an unpleasant and sarcastic quote sniping contests very fast.

Honestly, the past half-century or so of audiophile history has shown us how it goes when nobody calls out the BS. The ship is slowly being turned around now and it seems like quite a lot of people in the community have started to realize just how silly a significant segment of the hobby has become.
Well, If the ship is turning it is probably because the new joiners are joining on the right side. You can convince people new to the hobby but hardcore BSers will never change their mind.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
. You can convince people new to the hobby but hardcore BSers will never change their mind.

I disagree. I mean Danny (and his ilk) probably won't change his mind...until maybe sales drop below a certain level. But some of his customers might. And also, if threads like this help new people entering the hobby to not go down the golden-ear path then there's value in that too.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is no way around it... Amir and Danny would have to meet. Amir has to check the blind test, administer it and the whole thing recorded and only when Danny fails this test publicly and with undeniable evidence this might stop. NO sooner than that.

Ethan Winer publicly challenged Paul from PS to such a challenge and Paul of course refused. I doubt these people will agree to any sort of properly conducted test.

OP
L

Leif

Ethan Winer publicly challenged Paul from PS to such a challenge and Paul of course refused. I doubt these people will agree to any sort of properly conducted test.
Of course they won’t. There is a huge and highly profitable industry colluding in the scam. Magazines are partially funded by adverts, journalists earn a living writing product reviews and they get to play with nice toys, YouTube influencers earn money from videos and get to play with toys, shops make a nice living selling expensive kit. And of at the bottom of this pyramid are the manufacturers who make a nice living from making expensive gear. Stick on a nice fascia, some shiny knobs and flashing lights, and Bob‘s your uncle.

I don’t care if some rich flash Harry throws a huge wodge of dosh on an audio system, or a fast car, or a bottle of ancient champagne, good for him or her. What makes me angry is when scumbags make false claims, and convince innocent people to spend more than they need to.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe he could specify exactly what gear qualifies as resolving enough, for diagnostic purposes and partly to save potential customers from an unnecessary expense. :rolleyes:
an Audio Precision analyzer.

beagleman

Major Contributor
A true Designer, Engineer, Scientist or simply a person wanting knowledge would try to "understand" the differences between how Danny and Amir come to their conclusions.

Danny seems intent on being a simple salesman with some engineering/electronics background, but never someone neutral or into this as a hobby or actual learning experience. He feels he is either above those with more knowledge or wants his "followers" to believe that.

With that said, Bashing, Belittling and calling names to others might get him more youtube views for sure, but he semi lacks credibility due to his obvious lack of neutrality in the topic.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Danny seems intent on being a simple salesman with some engineering/electronics background, but never someone neutral or into this as a hobby or actual learning experience. He feels he is either above those with more knowledge or wants his "followers" to believe that.

Danny is a slimy salesman who tries to con his followers. Worse (to me) is that none of his utterings on science or technology make sense, but people lap them up as gospel nonetheless.

egellings

Major Contributor
Danny is a slimy salesman who tries to con his followers. Worse (to me) is that none of his utterings on science or technology make sense, but people lap them up as gospel nonetheless.
Amir uses a knowledge-based approach to audio, while Danny's is more belief-based.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Amir uses a knowledge-based approach to audio, while Danny's is more belief-based.
I’m not sure “belief-based” is the right term. It’s woo-woo and counter-factual. To what extent that is deliberate and conscious is anyone’s guess.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not sure “belief-based” is the right term. It’s woo-woo and counter-factual. To what extent that is deliberate and conscious is anyone’s guess.
Not sure if he does believe it himself, but I guess at least some of his followers believe his theories, and it is pretty clear it is not based on knowledge so I think it is fair to call them superstition.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
I use the term 'belief based' to mean an untutored, all out, unexamined, unquestioning acceptance of some idea with no critical thinking involved. Think of homeopathy, the air guitar of medicine, as an example. Once examined and validated, belief simply becomes knowledge.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually knowledge wouldn't make him even one more dollar; probably the opposite.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Forget cable-theories, try and listen first. Then after closing up you jawdrop we might try to understand why
Forget uncontrolled and subjective anecdotes. Try a controlled, blind test first. Then after closing up your jawdrop.....

Sorry dude, burden of proof is on you, not us. Science is a process of attempted falsification.

Top Bottom