• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power cable tech talk and a little help for Amir at Audio Science Review

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did some googling, seems like opinions vary violently. Holy moly. How upset people get when other people on the internet do not agree with them.
The internet was made for them.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Let’s make that an $ 80 DAC, shall we?

Sure, why not? lol...

Count Dacula

With Old School audio, we were taught to eliminate unnecessary circuits, loops, and bottlenecks. Sure there was some low hanging fruit there with woefully undersized and overly long zip cords, unshielded connections and fawlty mains.

After a certain point, that sort of thinking becomes counter-productive, where more focus on essentials or just enjoying the music itself makes more sense. Like every other good idea, tweeking cables (et al) gets perverted into some runaway snowball cluster F of failed logic and cognitive biases.

It's worth reposting the list. I'll have to take some time to note all of the principles that apply here....

(it's too vast to include here, but please click it and give us some feedback)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One of Danny's followers said you need to have a system that is "resolving" to hear the difference. I said what is exactly resolving? His example was a High end $5k Dac vs an $800 dac with Danny's cable then you would hear a difference.
He can hear the resolution of an emptier wallet.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Did some googling, seems like opinions vary violently. Holy moly. How upset people get when other people on the internet do not agree with them.

My two friends/business partners—a bit older than me—grew up with and swear by GnR. I don't follow, they sound slow, quirky and tame. Offering that opinion during an increasingly inebriated listening evening and things become animated. :)

Another GnR anecdote, buying a coffee in a cafe when a new cover of Knocking on Heaven's Door was playing, I said aloud 'wow that's great cover'. The barista, younger than me, said 'yeah I prefer the original' (as people do) and went on about GnR. Ok then ...

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One of Danny's followers said you need to have a system that is "resolving" to hear the difference. I said what is exactly resolving? His example was a High end $5k Dac vs an $800 dac with Danny's cable then you would hear a difference.
That’s roughly where the “whom are they hurting by believing this crap” argument starts to fray.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
The video wasn’t all bad, though. I found his tilt at null testing hilarious, complete with practical demonstration of random noise and logic reversal :D

Frankly, there was no need to bring noise into this at all. The GR cable recording would obviously be different, because it contains the “whooosh” sound from when a veil is lifted.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone with enough budget and time should just buy what they say and do a proper AB test and then ask what to do next. It would be quite fun to follow..

Oh that's essentially been done. It's always the problem is your ears or gear. If you listened on the "right" gear and didn't hear a difference, then the problem is your hearing.

That's why they always say "Just because some people can't hear the difference doesn't mean we are wrong. We Know What We Can Hear."

Count Dacula

Maybe he could specify exactly what gear qualifies as resolving enough, for diagnostic purposes and partly to save potential customers from an unnecessary expense. :rolleyes:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe he could specify exactly what gear qualifies as resolving enough, for diagnostic purposes and partly to save potential customers from an unnecessary expense. :rolleyes:
Obviously you need one of these:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My two friends/business partners—a bit older than me—grew up with and swear by GnR. I don't follow, they sound slow, quirky and tame. Offering that opinion during an increasingly inebriated listening evening and things become animated. :)

Another GnR anecdote, buying a coffee in a cafe when a new cover of Knocking on Heaven's Door was playing, I said aloud 'wow that's great cover'. The barista, younger than me, said 'yeah I prefer the original' (as people do) and went on about GnR. Ok then ...
I grew up listening to GnR as well among other things. When I was a teen, we used to have long and heated debates about GnR. Whether it was Metal or just hard pop and such pointless things. I guess it was OK if people say they don’t like it. Calling it Hair or Glam, that is blasphemy. We might have a ****** taste but for sure we are not softies! That was important somehow back then

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The real question is... should we even watch Danny's videos and care about what he has to say in them.
The world is filled with nonsense this is just one of these (pseudo science) channels.
People that like to watch it and believe the crap he is spouting should just do so and not bother others with it or ask others if Danny is right. From a scientific p.o.v. he is wrong for the most part of it. Danny is mixing truths with (his) fiction. There are plenty more of those around b.t.w.

I realize he is also trying to damage Amir's reputation. No rebuttal from anyone, including Amir can 'undo' what Danny said and will say in the future.

There is no way around it... Amir and Danny would have to meet. Amir has to check the blind test, administer it and the whole thing recorded and only when Danny fails this test publicly and with undeniable evidence this might stop. NO sooner than that. As this is not going to happen it seems rather pointless to discuss that silly video and other silly videos for that matter.
ASR fans will believe Amir, GR fans will believe Danny. Nothing will change. Danny will continue to make silly videos, Amir will continue to review gear.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The real question is... should we even watch Danny's videos and care about what he has to say in them.
Yes!
The world is filled with nonsense this is just one of these (pseudo science) channels.
People that like to watch it and believe the crap he is spouting should just do so and not bother others with it or ask others if Danny is right.
Some do, but we also see that what we’re doing here works. Danny would not need to make these videos specific referencing @amirm and his community if it weren’t so.

Ignoring a problem doesn’t make it go away.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

In fairness theirs is the best version.

I'd categorise them as somewhere on the spectrum that runs from punk, through glam and then into stadium rock - depending on what song they're playing.

I still play their albums pretty regularly but then I still listen to Van Halen too so there's probably no hope for me. Not old enough yet for Diana Krall or London Grammar.

Thankfullly.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
GnR is the kind of stuff that bites, but doesn't really leave a mark. Great fun though, and lots of ear worms.

My personal idea of a perfect balance between a fist full of Metal and a glob of cheese is the golden trio from Accept: Restless and Wild, Balls to the Wall and Metal Heart :)

Oh that's essentially been done. It's always the problem is your ears or gear. If you listened on the "right" gear and didn't hear a difference, then the problem is your hearing.

That's why they always say "Just because some people can't hear the difference doesn't mean we are wrong. We Know What We Can Hear."

And when they finally do the test themselves, we get: The test was stressful, and it killed the subtleties :facepalm:

D

Deleted member 48726

GnR is the kind of stuff that bites, but doesn't really leave a mark. Great fun though, and lots of ear worms.

My personal idea of a perfect balance between a fist full of Metal and a glob of cheese is the golden trio from Accept: Restless and Wild, Balls to the Wall and Metal Heart :)

And when they finally do the test themselves, we get: The test was stressful, and it killed the subtleties :facepalm:
Didn't know this band. Sounds like a blend between AC/DC and Metallica.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I view them more like a budget version of Judas Priest that goes all in on the attitude and actually manages to pull it off.

Top Bottom