• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power cable tech talk and a little help for Amir at Audio Science Review

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Us human beenz love those little dopamine rushes! We seek out means by which we can achieve them pretty much all day long everyday. Our brains don't care about scientific verification most of the time unless we force the issue. lol...
As much as they pay to fool themselves, I hope it's worth it. And I have to admit that real engineering is too much like work :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree. It seems that one characteristic hard-line subjectivists have in common is difficulty understanding scientific principles. This results in a fear or mistrust of science, leaving a void in their view of the world. They fill that void with a substitute for science: subjectivism. Easy-peasy.

Jim
It's easy to mock, and I certainly do. But I kind of feel sorry for them too, in that they open themselves to fraud. A fool and his money.

D

Deleted member 48726

Arrogance like this is one of the main reasons why you guys are still messing around in the cable jungle
1685552022123.png

OP
L

Leif

Especially considering the price tags we normally see.

I simply can't understand why people gladly accept the idea of multi kilobuck gear needing "band-aids" to function properly.
People will pay absurd amounts of money for an amplifier, or even a streamer, when they could get the same performance for one tenth of the price, sometimes for one hundredth of the price. Chord has perfected the art of audio-bling, take a piece of equipment, shove it in a fancy case CNC machined from aluminium, and Joe Mug thinks it is ultra performant. Audiophile mains cables and fuses are just a continuation of the whole rotten confidence trick.

Another example is PMC. They market their speakers as using the Advanced Transmission Line, with a outlet based on Formula 1 technology, allowing great bass extension. Except it doesn’t. The outlet is a piece of plastic, and the frequency reaponses of their consumer grade speakers are all over the place, and competing products without an ATL have just as good a bass response, if not better. I’m sure it’s not just British companies that indulge in über-audio-bling.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Axo1989

Major Contributor
It's easy to mock, and I certainly do. But I kind of feel sorry for them too, in that they open themselves to fraud. A fool and his money.

When I bought new speakers (a little while back) I wasn't going to re-use my daggy old speaker wires, so I bought some nicely made cables that looked the part (also trade-ins like the speakers themselves, it's good when others pay the depreciation). Did they sound better? No idea, never compared them.

Count Dacula

Aren't the power mains attached to the same board or transformer leg, regardless of their origin? Won't the internal wiring scheme of the device negate any (possible) electrical "improvements" implemented to the power source???

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Aren't the power mains attached to the same board or transformer leg, regardless of their origin? Won't the internal wiring scheme of the device negate any (possible) electrical "improvements" implemented to the power source???
Moreover, any competently designed equipment has tremendous filtering on the mains, precisely because noise is ubiquitous.

Adaboy4z

One of Danny's followers said you need to have a system that is "resolving" to hear the difference. I said what is exactly resolving? His example was a High end $5k Dac vs an $800 dac with Danny's cable then you would hear a difference.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Yes. Even if a power cable could actually do something, it would at best be a weak sauce version of this:
2449540-40.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One of Danny's followers said you need to have a system that is "resolving" to hear the difference. I said what is exactly resolving? His example was a High end $5k Dac vs an $800 dac with Danny's cable then you would hear a difference.
Lol. It's always just out of reach.

D

Deleted member 48726

Lol. It's always just out of reach.
Someone with enough budget and time should just buy what they say and do a proper AB test and then ask what to do next. It would be quite fun to follow..

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone with enough budget and time should just buy what they say and do a proper AB test and then ask what to do next. It would be quite fun to follow..
I'm sure the companies involved have already done exhaustive R&D and testing :rolleyes:

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

I'll believe that when I actually see that person take a good blind test and identify a 5k dac from an $800 dac.

Until that time, I'll say utter BS.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll believe that when I actually see that person take a good blind test and identify a 5k dac from an $800 dac.

Until that time, I'll say utter BS.
Let’s make that an $ 80 DAC, shall we?

Top Bottom