• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power cable tech talk and a little help for Amir at Audio Science Review

egellings

Major Contributor
Danny sure has done a great job of weaponizing a divide in audio enthusiasts. I tried to explain to a friend that listens to Danny that he just uses ASR and other similar places to create a common enemy that his fans can rally against, all to get more people to invest in Danny's brand. Seems obvious to me but I guess some people can't see past the marketing.

That's really what bothers me the most about Danny. Just another turd muddying the waters of what should just be a great passion/hobby.
Does he float, or is he a sinker?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I see your point, but the objective science that established that the earth is round(ish) was well established by at least 200 B.C. when Eratosthenes of Cyrene calculated the circumference of the earth based on the rays of light from the Sun being parallel. He for sure used scientific method by using previous established laws of geometry to make the calculation.

He also calculated the Earth’s tilt on axis relative to the Sun. Unfortunately, the myth that when Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492 the prevalent belief was that Columbus would sail off the edge to his death somehow was somehow thought to make the story more compelling. We don’t even get Columbus day for a Holiday any more.
Vikings, as any other high sea sailing culture (we can probably assume Polynesians or Phoenicians too) knew that the Earth IS not flat because masts "dissapear" on the Horizon.

Greeks run the numbers, but the notion was extemelly old. Spheres are not rare symbols at all.

That said, the worst part I find about "magic" electric cables is the propensity not just for bogus, but to provide an unsafe connection with the increased risk of fire and injury that implies.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Vikings, as any other high sea sailing culture (we can probably assume Polynesians or Phoenicians too) knew that the Earth IS not flat because masts "dissapear" on the Horizon.

Greeks run the numbers, but the notion was extemelly old. Spheres are not rare symbols at all.

That said, the worst part I find about "magic" electric cables is the propensity not just for bogus, but to provide an unsafe connection with the increased risk of fire and injury that implies.
At the time though, there were snake-oil ships sold to the gullible that were designed for the flat Earth ocean.

/;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Otoh, Krell used to say ‘use supplied cable’ and ‘don’t use power conditioner’ iirc.

My little Krell amps came with 10 or 12 feet of this cable, internally terminated (so not easily replaceable), and says this several times along the sheath:

CAROL 10/3 90C (UL) WATER RESISTANT SOOW CSA (-40C) FT-2 PL-7-123033 MHSA MADE IN USA 600V

1685319399103.png

SOOW 10/3 10 Gauge Portable and Power Cord​

Our SOOW 10/3 10 gauge cable is part of our Power Cables & Portable Cord line of Wire & Cable. SOOW 10/3 is composed of 3 bare copper conductors with a 104/30 stranding, an ethylene propylene diene monomer rubber (EPDM) insulation, and a chlorinated polyethylene (CPE) jacket. These cables are rated for a voltage of 600 volts, an amperage of 30 amps, have a temperature range of -40° to 90°, and weigh approximately 290 lbs/MFT.SOOW Cord is designed for hard usage with portable tools and appliances, small motors, and associated machinery. These cables are resistant to water, abrasion, oils, and solvents. It is UL Listed and CSA Certified for both indoor and outdoor use and features good tensile strength, elongation, and aging characteristics. This cord is part of our Infinitiflex line.

My Opnion:

They work.

They do have a replaceable plug, should I decide the plug they came with (that I can't see right now, buried in the rack) should somehow suddenly strike me as inferior.

1685319760431.png

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still stand by my statement in 2020: If companies with great engineering include a cable with their device, I expect that they feel that it is appropriate to show the best performance from their product.

Especially given that it’s such an easy change to make, if the manufacturer doesn’t think it’s worth the effort, do I think myself smarter than the team that designed the component?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw Amir wrote in the comments to Danny: "You are working backward from thinking you hear an improvement to causes you imagine that sound good to lay people as an argument."

That is exactly what it comes off like from Danny, and Amir's comment captures so much of the pseudo-scientific waffle in high end audio.

Danny has all the red flags of the usual Golden Ear shyster: "We've proved it hundreds of times!" (except he hasn't offered any such proof to the public) and you need to "have personal experience with these cables." Right out of the Golden Ear playbook.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I waded through most of the (many hundreds) comments on YT.
As with everything else in life it clearly shows the divide in two 'camps'.
Both 'camps' already know their truths.

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This...

1685237354035.png

Complete nonsense, as usual.

According to cablophiles, the difference is always night and day, so much that one should be deaf if not being able to hear it. Difference is so big that "even their wife hears it from the kitchen"
And now, 95% of people (no: 95% of audiophiles!) aren't able to hear it ?!!

Another very funny thing is to invoke acute/ability of hearing others wouldn't have, while these ridiculous statements are often made by middle-aged men at the very minimum, sometimes by 70+ people. No offense, but...

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This...View attachment 288955

According to cablophiles, the difference is always night and day, so much that one should be deaf if not being able to hear it. Difference is so big that "even their wife hears it from the kitchen"

Another very funny thing is to invoke acute/ability of hearing others wouldn't have, while these ridiculous statements are often made by middle aged men at the very minimum, sometimes by 70+ people. No offense, but...

Let's take a look at the Audiophile Rainbow. What's in there?

System not resolving enough

System not expensive enough

lack of listening experience

Listening for the wrong things

Not listening for the right things

You must be deaf

You must have never done a comparison

Respected professional reviewers all hear a difference

All those people can't be wrong

It costs a lot more, of course it's better!

You need to move up to the £XXXX price bracket to get an audible improvement

I don't need to blind test, I trust my ears

X has been in the audio industry for 30 years how can you say he's wrong?

Measurements won't tell you anything about how something sounds

Everything matters

D

Deleted member 48726

This...

View attachment 288955

Another very funny thing is to invoke acute/ability of hearing others wouldn't have, while these ridiculous statements are often made by middle-aged men at the very minimum, sometimes by 70+ people. No offense, but...
With "capable system" he must mean an amplifier or pre-amp with extremely poor power supply that is unable to convert AC to DC cleanly. I know he doesn't but that is actually what that must mean.
It's a quite complicated and funny comment when you dissect it actually. There is so much to dive into.. :oops:

D

Deleted member 48726

Let's take a look at the Audiophile Rainbow. What's in there?

System not resolving enough

System not expensive enough

lack of listening experience

Listening for the wrong things

Not listening for the right things

You must be deaf

You must have never done a comparison

Respected professional reviewers all hear a difference

All those people can't be wrong

It costs a lot more, of course it's better!

You need to move up to the £XXXX price bracket to get an audible improvement

I don't need to blind test, I trust my ears

X has been in the audio industry for 30 years how can you say he's wrong?

Measurements won't tell you anything about how something sounds

Everything matters
LOL!

Damn ASR members and their *shuffles deck, picks a card* non-resolving systems.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL!

Damn ASR members and their *shuffles deck, picks a card* non-resolving systems.
The sad thing is I've had every single one of those comments directed at me. Most of them multiple times. And I'm not even that controversial.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With "capable system" he must mean an amplifier or pre-amp with extremely poor power supply that is unable to convert AC to DC cleanly. I know he doesn't but that is actually what that must mean.
It's a quite complicated and funny comment when you dissect it actually. There is so much to dive into.. :oops:
Not only that but in addition to the boutique amplifier the speakers will be something absolutely diabolical, the speaker set up will be massively compromised and the room acoustics clearly terrible. But they reckon they can hear the 'sonic character'' of using different plugs on the same cable. Or distinguish the sonic character of different magic fuses.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I waded through most of the (many hundreds) comments on YT.
As with everything else in life it clearly shows the divide in two 'camps'.
Both 'camps' already know their truths.

Remember, though, that some in this forum would once have been in the “other camp.”

The fact you will always find a divide doesn’t mean the people on each side are permanently there. A general divide may be perennial, but individual allegiances are not (necessarily).

Top Bottom