• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power Cable Drain Wire?

Owl

Hello. I was moving some cabling around under and behind my desk and created some interference noise into the desktop speakers. I was wondering if any of you have experimented with wrapping an extra conductor around the power cable to act as a drain, similar to signal cables. Grounded at one end at, for instance, a power strip.

OP
O

Owl

I guess I never noticed if a replacement cord was shielded or not. It should say on the packaging.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Space out the cables. Or cross them. Bundle them together is not a good ideal. Shield is better however there is not 100%.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
It's much better to shield the source antenna wire than to shield the receiving antenna wires (there may be more than one, now or in the future).
The drain wire is only the connection point at the end of the shield. The shield needs to completely enclose the wire.

Top Bottom