• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

power amps, home audio, and xlr-rca adapters

izeek

i got a nice deal in a crown com-tech 810.
it has xlr connects.(plan to use xlr-rca cables)i know this is not a true balanced connect.
my preamp has line-level outs.
here's where i am.
crown 810 300wpc@8ohms
jbl synthesis sdp3 pre
jbl l890 towers
l8400 sub
input by phone or bt adapter.
not into vinyl nor cds.
working on a streamer of some sorts eventually.

my current amp(lol) is an audiosource model 3 150wpc. it sounds pretty good to me but i wondered what 250 would sound like since jbl recommended it i thought id experiment.
id expect some loudness but im probably looking more for increased soundstage/presence?

any suggestions on gain-staging for either amp.
i was told consumer preamps might not match input voltage of power amps. im sure there is a workaround.

i havent gotten into rew or any of that yet.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would an amp change soundstage/presence? That's not its function. You'll gain possibly better low impedance capability and maybe 2dB with the power amp....but sometimes you just gotta go for it, eh? :)

OP
izeek

izeek

talking out of my@$#. i also had a crown 210 120wpc. im sure i didnt have it set up right but it sounded wimpy next to my model 3. not that i expected much as 120 vs 150 is moot.
it clipped about -35db.
the model 3 seems to chug along till i hit -10db. it doesnt have meters so its my ears for now. cant say i heard what i think is clipping(heard it in my car stereo).

...but sometimes you just gotta go for it, eh? :)
pretty much. how amps you have? lol.

OP
izeek

izeek

see. i didnt mention i also have a 7.2 receiver.
and just for kicks, i have a russound 2in/1out switch so i can use the towers with both systems.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
see. i didnt mention i also have a 7.2 receiver.
and just for kicks, i have a russound 2in/1out switch so i can use the towers with both systems.

Most of my amps are on sub/tactile transducer duties these days, but in my main room did put some amps back on the avr even tho I didn't need to for my listening levels and speakers involved. I have a couple not in use until I finish a couple more sub builds.

Top Bottom