• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

horias2000

Forum Donor
I just built a power amplifier module based on the Trimodal Power Amplifier by Douglas Self. This is part of building a complete integrated amplifier. I'm now working on the preamplifier, power supply, PHONO preamp, input switching, speaker protection and maybe remote control unit.
For those not familiar with the trimodal concept by D. Self, this is a power amplifier that can be switched between two modes of operation. Class A operation with a fixed quiescent current (1A in my case) and a class AB/B mode with a much lower quiescent current of 50mA. The amplifier was build after reading his books (highly recommended). I also measured the THD with my QuantAsylum QA401 analyzer and have to say that the class A performance is very good as it can be seen in the images below. In class B I was a bit baffled by the high-ish 2nd order harmonics. It is still good performance by my standards but there might be something with my prototypes. This is still work in progress. The modules I've built have double output devices and the measurements were performed with an 8OHM load at an output of 5W. With 1A quiescent current in class A it can deliver about 12W before going into class AB. In class B it can deliver around 80W of output power with the +/-28Vdc rails. The measurements you see below were performed with a lab power supply and not on the actual power supply I will be using. I will come back with the same measurements performed with the actual unregulated power supply that will be implemented in the final amplifier. I'm expecting some mains frequency components (and their harmonics) but not too much as the design has a very good PSRR.

Power_AMP_Class_A_1A_bias_8OHM.png

Power_AMP_Class_B_8OHM.png

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well you have Class A mode, Class AB and Class B. So there are three modes but it switches from one to the other on its own.
I retracted the question, because it was too snarky. Sorry.
Class B, eh? Seems odd. Pure class B would have pretty substantial crossover distortion (I would think).

OP
H

horias2000

Forum Donor
Class B, eh? Seems odd. Pure class B would have pretty substantial crossover distortion (I would think).
Well, a well designed class B amplifier is better than an class AB one. The Power Amplifier Design Book by D. Self goes into this at great lenghts (he calls the class B amplifier "Blameless"). Most of the amplifiers you can buy, work in class B. The philosophy of this design is that if you optimize quiescent conditions (and other mechanisms of distortions), you can get very good class B performance (not as good as class A). And as it can be seen from the measurements, it's true. I still have to look into the 2nd order harmonics but even with these, the performance is very good.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Count me as skeptical. Best of luck with your build, though, and sorting out your HD problem.

OP
H

horias2000

Forum Donor
Count me as skeptical. Best of luck with your build, though, and sorting out your HD problem.
It might sound like I'm trying to sell the book :) but I can't overstate how good it is. I'm an electronics design engineer and I read a few books related to this subject and this one is by far the best (in my opinion). If you have the time, do give it a read. I will come back to this thread once I finish the preamplifier and the PHONO preamp. The preamp itself is a bit different as it also offers the possibility to adjust the cutoff frequency of the LF and HF sections, not only the cut/boot of LF and HF.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Doug Self had a great preamp project in Wireless World. I think it was in the late eighties or early nineties. I made sure to get all the magazine issues (at a local news stand, I did not subscribe at that time) because it looked like a great project. He had someone making and selling circuit boards for it. I remember they were a little pricey for blank boards, but I still was very interested. I never quite overcame my intertia, on the project though because I already had a very good preamp. But ever since then I have been a Doug Self fan. He appears in a few youhoo tooob
vids.

I have tried with no luck to find the construction articles. I am pretty sure I didn't hallucinate the whole thing.:cool:

OP
H

horias2000

Forum Donor
Doug Self had a great preamp project in Wireless World. I think it was in the late eighties or early nineties. I made sure to get all the magazine issues (at a local news stand, I did not subscribe at that time) because it looked like a great project. He had someone making and selling circuit boards for it. I remember they were a little pricey for blank boards, but I still was very interested. I never quite overcame my intertia, on the project though because I already had a very good preamp. But ever since then I have been a Doug Self fan. He appears in a few youhoo tooob
vids.

I have tried with no luck to find the construction articles. I am pretty sure I didn't hallucinate the whole thing.:cool:
Yep, that is the preamp. It's called Precision Preamplifier and it evolved a bit in the meantime. You can still buy pcbs from the signal transfer company and he wrote an article about it in linear audio about an improved version of it. I made pcbs of this preamp and I'm going to test it in the coming days. Mine does not include the phono pream as this will be on a separate board but it is the updated version from the linear audio magazine.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
In an amplifier that wants to avoid crossover distortion, there has to be some overlap at the zero crossing.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
In an amplifier that wants to avoid crossover distortion, there has to be some overlap at the zero crossing.
That's what I am thinking; certainly the dogma that I've internalized.
I've heard of Douglas Self, but not read his book(s).
I note that class B amplifiers have never taken the audio world by storm* so either there's something else going on here or Self's IP position is tight enough, and his licensing requirements pricey enough, that the industry has (mostly?!) worked around it and stayed (more or less) Class AB -- at least until the fairly recent prolifieration of PWM amplifiers.
Not clear to me (!) whether any of this has found its way into "commercial" hifi.
I did see this thread, but I don't know and I haven't dug too far.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I note that class B amplifiers have never taken the audio world by storm* so either there's something else going on here or Self's IP position is tight enough, and his licensing requirements pricey enough, that the industry has (mostly?!) worked around it and stayed (more or less) Class AB -- at least until the fairly recent prolifieration of PWM amplifiers.
Not clear to me (!) whether any of this has found its way into "commercial" hifi.

I just ran across this on my hard drive - this is the distortion of my MC240 at its rated 40 watts:

MC-40 Distortion 40 Watts.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I might be wrong, but I believe the vintage McIntosh MC275/240 amplifiers ran in class B and they got away with it because of the elaborate output transformer. Anyone know for sure?
I thought so, too -- but a quick googlin' hasn't confirmed that, though. Plus, as you say, they do use a unique OPT design.
I am sure someone here like @SIY (e.g.) knows the actual answer, as opposed to a googlin's-worth! ;)

I did do a... ahem... Self-search (not literally!) here and tuned up a coupla interesting tidbits.

e.g., this:

audio2design

Major Contributor

I liked the last post in that linked thread, "Not judging a damned thing just saying a hell of a lot talented people out there who didn't bother or want to write a book."

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I liked the last post in that linked thread, "Not judging a damned thing just saying a hell of a lot talented people out there who didn't bother or want to write a book."
Which could put one in the realm of the 'trade secret'.
The problem with which, of course, is that one's competition might stumble upon one's trade secret.
Pretty uncommon for one individual to have a lock on all of the insight & intelligence in the world vis-a-vis any particular "problem"/concept/issue.

Or, as it was so pithily stated in Shift Happens by Thomas Friedman in The World is Flat:
“The saying in China is "If you're one in a million, there's still 1,300 people just like you.”

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I thought so, too -- but a quick googlin' hasn't confirmed that, though. Plus, as you say, they do use a unique OPT design.
I am sure someone here like @SIY (e.g.) knows the actual answer, as opposed to a googlin's-worth! ;)

I did do a... ahem... Self-search (not literally!) here and tuned up a coupla interesting tidbits.

e.g., this:

Not quite Class B but close. Their unity-coupled circuit relied on a fancy multifilar output transformer and was remarkably clever. I’m sure there’s a copy somewhere on the interwebs of Norman Crowhurst’s “Realistic Audio Engineering Philosophy,” which examines it in detail.

OP
H

horias2000

Forum Donor
Well all I can tell you is that I worked on a few amplifiers so far and most of them if not all were in class B. Almost all the Japanese ones had 5mA or 10mA quiescent current through the output devices. That is as calss B as it can get. Very low quicent current. I did not have a spectrum analyzer back then to look at the thd but I suspect it wasn't great.

bigguyca

Have you read Douglas Self's power amplifier book (currently in the 6th Edition)? From your comment I would guess not. Here is a link from Amazon. It's a great book if you want to learn about power amplifiers.

You need to understand that what is typically called class A/B on this and most other forums is called class B by Self. Class B in this context means properly biased, or optimum biased. That is, the bias level that minimizes crossover distortion. Self goes into extensive detail on the factors affecting crossover distortion by theory, simulation and measurements.

What is called class A/B by Self would be called something like class A/B biased heavily into class A by most people. As an example, many Parasound amplifiers are biased heavily into class A/B. Self notes that such over biasing adds distortion at the point where the amplifier shifts from class A to class B. Bob Cordell calls this effect transconductance (gm) doubling. Such over-biased amplifiers also typically use a lot of power at idle due to the partial class A biasing that is very energy inefficient.

Bob Cordell's book is also excellent. Reading both books provides really excellent coverage of power amplifier characteristics and design.

OP
H

horias2000

Forum Donor
In theory, class B is when you have no quiescent current going through the output devices. But we have to acknowledge that if you have 5mA or 10mA of quiescent current, that amplifier will run most of the time (99.99%) in class B when you listen to music at a normal level. So yes, in theory this is not textbook class B but during normal operation it works in class B.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last edited:
Top Bottom