• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power amp without decoupling capacitor, what does this mean?

Freighter

Hi all,

I currently have a Marantz SR7011 AVR and I'm looking for a power amp to connect to it (pre-out). I think the NC252MP would be a good choice and I found a seller, however on their website they post this warning:

"This amplifier does not have a decoupling capacitor, so it lets the DC component of the signal through. Make sure your source has no DC component present at the output. The DC protection of the module switches on at 12VDC which is very permissive."
I don't quite understand what this means. I was hoping someone could explain what this means exactly, and what the implications would be for me for using it together with my AVR?

Thanks!

sq225917

Major Contributor
It means you need to measure the output of you pre with a voltmeter in DC mode to see how much dc it outputs.

Less than 1mv would be ideal, any more than that and I'd want to measure out the back of the connected power amp before connecting speakers.

20-50mv DC output from a power amp is considered acceptable. My own are sub 1mv, but YMMV.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Pre-amps often have decoupling capacitors in their outputs.
Power amps often have decoupling capacitors in their inputs.
This is redundant, only one is needed.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Hi all,

I currently have a Marantz SR7011 AVR and I'm looking for a power amp to connect to it (pre-out). I think the NC252MP would be a good choice and I found a seller, however on their website they post this warning:

"This amplifier does not have a decoupling capacitor, so it lets the DC component of the signal through. Make sure your source has no DC component present at the output. The DC protection of the module switches on at 12VDC which is very permissive."
I don't quite understand what this means. I was hoping someone could explain what this means exactly, and what the implications would be for me for using it together with my AVR?

Thanks!
Coupling capacitors are used to let the AC signal through and block the DC power supply. Each stage in an amplifier must be DC biased and the bias levels may vary from stage to stage.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
DC (direct current) is zero Hz. If you connect a 1.5V battery (DC) to a speaker, and if you can see the cone, you'll see it pop-out or pop-in depending on the polarity. You'll also hear a click or pop when the cone moves but once it gets into position it doesn't make any sound while the DC current flows. It makes another click or pop when you disconnect it.

Audio isn't supposed to have DC but some gear has a DC offset and the DC can exist along with the AC audio signal. It wastes power and it can cause or contribute to distortion because the positive or negative is closer to clipping. And it can push your woofer toward it's mechanical limits.

A series capacitor blocks DC. It makes a high-pass filter so normally the capacitor value is chosen to pass bass while blocking DC and subsonic frequencies. Speaker crossovers have capacitors which means you can't DC into a midrange or tweeter.

The proper capacitor doesn't hurt the audio and it can sometimes prevent problems.

The Audacity Website has a bit of information about DC offset in digital files (a bad thing). In a digital file it's not actually current, it's just an offset in the digital values where the waveform is offset and silence is not at a value of zero. But if it goes through a DAC, then it becomes direct current.

Some audio circuits, especially older discrete designs without ICs or op-amps, require DC bias to work, so capacitors are required on the input & output to filter it out. Most battery operated circuits only have positive voltage as a power supply so they are internally DC biased.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
The use of decoupling capacitors is entirely different and are quite often used (as an example) to keep the DC voltage dependant on emitter current. As an example a capacitor could and often is connected across any resistor connecting a power rail to the emitter in a bipolar transistor.

Last edited:

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow! Thank you for bringing this up.
I have had a very bad experience with this (DC going into the woofers) in the past.
I believe my Sony preamp malfunctioned and DC was sent to my Plinius amp which I believe doesn't have decoupling capacitors on the output stages and it RUINED my Dynaudio woofers twice! It was a nightmare! I had to send the boxes to the Dynaudio center in Chicago to be replaced (the first time around). The second time it happened, I purchase the woofers from Dynaudio and replaced them myself. A very expensive lesson. Needless to say, I fixed the Sony preamp and sold the Plinius amp. The amps that took place after Plinius departed, were Parasound JC-1 monoblocks. The following features made that purchase justified much easier:

• Direct-coupled signal path, no capacitors or inductors in the audio path
  • DC servo & relay protection circuits

OP
F

Freighter

DC (direct current) is zero Hz. If you connect a 1.5V battery (DC) to a speaker, and if you can see the cone, you'll see it pop-out or pop-in depending on the polarity. You'll also hear a click or pop when the cone moves but once it gets into position it doesn't make any sound while the DC current flows. It makes another click or pop when you disconnect it.

Audio isn't supposed to have DC but some gear has a DC offset and the DC can exist along with the AC audio signal. It wastes power and it can cause or contribute to distortion because the positive or negative is closer to clipping. And it can push your woofer toward it's mechanical limits.

A series capacitor blocks DC. It makes a high-pass filter so normally the capacitor value is chosen to pass bass while blocking DC and subsonic frequencies. Speaker crossovers have capacitors which means you can't DC into a midrange or tweeter.

The proper capacitor doesn't hurt the audio and it can sometimes prevent problems.

The Audacity Website has a bit of information about DC offset in digital files (a bad thing). In a digital file it's not actually current, it's just an offset in the digital values where the waveform is offset and silence is not at a value of zero. But if it goes through a DAC, then it becomes direct current.

Some audio circuits, especially older discrete designs without ICs or op-amps, require DC bias to work, so capacitors are required on the input & output to filter it out. Most battery operated circuits only have positive voltage as a power supply so they are internally DC biased.
Wow, thank you, that is very thorough. I only partially understand, so I’m a little reluctant to buy this amp now. Since the website mentions the lack of decoupling capacitor explicitly, does that mean that it’s a feature that amps normally have? For instance if I buy a more consumer oriented amp like a NAD or a Denon or something like that, would it typically have a decoupling capacitor?

If I do choose this amp as far as I understand

sq225917’s advice is what I would need to do (check the DC output of my AVR on the pre-out)?​

bo_knows

"Audio isn't supposed to have DC but some gear has a DC offset and the DC can exist along with the AC audio signal. It wastes power and it can cause or contribute to distortion because the positive or negative is closer to clipping. And it can push your woofer toward it's mechanical limits."

Oh, boy did my Dynaudio woofers got pushed out (bulged) beyond their mechanical limits with Plinius (class A) amp when DC was present! Ugly sight.

captainbeefheart

They don't know what a decoupling capacitor is because what they describe is a coupling capacitor not a decoupling capacitor. The latter would shunt signal to ground which isn't what you want. The former, and correct term of "coupling" basically couples stages of amplifiers together that have DC present. The coupling capacitor is sized to allow the AC signal to pass through while blocking the DC element.

If your power amp has an input capacitor than it's not a problem that your preamp may contain come DC, I still think it's silly to willingly send DC off to equipment and the preamp should have an output coupling capacitor sized appropriately for a load down to 10k ohms. I'd say minimum of 1uF but higher would be better, if you can add a 3.3uF film output cap it would be ideal as long as the input of your power amp isn't lower than 10k impedance.

Cars-N-Cans

Wow, thank you, that is very thorough. I only partially understand, so I’m a little reluctant to buy this amp now. Since the website mentions the lack of decoupling capacitor explicitly, does that mean that it’s a feature that amps normally have? For instance if I buy a more consumer oriented amp like a NAD or a Denon or something like that, would it typically have a decoupling capacitor?
What it really means is that the amplifier can pass (and amplify) DC just as though it is audio. Normally in linear amplifiers there is usually compensation in the feedback loop to roll the gain off to unity at DC so it does not amplify DC offsets in the source. The other common thing is to have a servo circuit to remove the bias so the amp can still play down to low frequencies, but wont pass DC to the devices its powering. Pretty much any device is capable of having a DC offset and many do, and this will be amplified by the amplifier (say, 20x) and then appear at the output. This means a 25mV offset from a DAC or other device its connected to becomes 0.5V at the output, which will displace the woofers quite a bit, and cook an IEM if its a headphone amp. The insidious part is that the DC offset is not directly audible. The DC offset protection circuit is just there in case the amplifier ends up saturating at one extreme. This could mean something like 40-50V of DC at its output, which would be catastrophic for anything hooked to it. As such, the DC protection will open the output relay if there is excessive offset detected. Probably wont be fast enough to prevent damage, but at least there wont be woofer cones dangling out the front of the speakers with flames coming off the voice coils.

This amp is not alone in this characteristic. There are a lot of amps out there that will happily treat DC no differently than audio. If you have a multimeter you can measure it at the speaker terminals with the source connected, no speakers, and nothing playing. There will be some small amount of DC present naturally since its hard to get things to be perfect, but it shouldn't be more than something like 25-50 mV. More than that and it will produce a distinct audible tick at start-up. Even more, say around a few tenths of a volt, and there will be a loud thump at turn on and turn off, and the speakers may sound distorted. Still more will produce loud bangs or sharp cracks from the woofers going to their extremes of travel, and they will be damaged. If you don't have a multimeter, a quick check is to watch the woofer cones when the amp is powering up. Once the internal relay(s) close, its acceptable to have a faint tick in the speakers, but the woofers should not visibly move.

OP
F

Freighter

What it really means is that the amplifier can pass (and amplify) DC just as though it is audio. Normally in linear amplifiers there is usually compensation in the feedback loop to roll the gain off to unity at DC so it does not amplify DC offsets in the source. The other common thing is to have a servo circuit to remove the bias so the amp can still play down to low frequencies, but wont pass DC to the devices its powering. Pretty much any device is capable of having a DC offset and many do, and this will be amplified by the amplifier (say, 20x) and then appear at the output. This means a 25mV offset from a DAC or other device its connected to becomes 0.5V at the output, which will displace the woofers quite a bit, and cook an IEM if its a headphone amp. The insidious part is that the DC offset is not directly audible. The DC offset protection circuit is just there in case the amplifier ends up saturating at one extreme. This could mean something like 40-50V of DC at its output, which would be catastrophic for anything hooked to it. As such, the DC protection will open the output relay if there is excessive offset detected. Probably wont be fast enough to prevent damage, but at least there wont be woofer cones dangling out the front of the speakers with flames coming off the voice coils.

This amp is not alone in this characteristic. There are a lot of amps out there that will happily treat DC no differently than audio. If you have a multimeter you can measure it at the speaker terminals with the source connected, no speakers, and nothing playing. There will be some small amount of DC present naturally since its hard to get things to be perfect, but it shouldn't be more than something like 25-50 mV. More than that and it will produce a distinct audible tick at start-up. Even more, say around a few tenths of a volt, and there will be a loud thump at turn on and turn off, and the speakers may sound distorted. Still more will produce loud bangs or sharp cracks from the woofers going to their extremes of travel, and they will be damaged. If you don't have a multimeter, a quick check is to watch the woofer cones when the amp is powering up. Once the internal relay(s) close, its acceptable to have a faint tick in the speakers, but the woofers should not visibly move.
Amazing explanation, than you. I measured my AVR and it has normally around 10mV but it sometimes spikes up to 30mV. If I understand correctly that's still within the 25-50mV window you mentioned, so maybe not ideal, but acceptable?

The store also offered to install a decoupling capacitor in the power amp. Do you think that's recommended? The store themselves does say they cannot tell me what that will do for the performance of the amp. I also don't know enough about how the engineering of it works to say if that negatively impact the performance of the amps or if it really doesn't matter at all?

pma

Major Contributor
No decoupling capacitor means there is no coupling capacitor at the amp input. In such case, DC servo is used to compensate for possible DC voltage coming from the preamp or DAC. Usually the DC servo is able to compensate for about +/-200mV input DC offset voltage. The power amp must also have output DC protection to disconnect the output if DC output voltage is sensed. This should be set about 2V. Unfortunately, Hypex, with DC coupled input, sets the output trigger to 12V. IMO it is a design fault. 12V DC will easily burn the speaker coil.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The idiots who wrote this:

This amplifier does not have a decoupling capacitor, so it lets the DC component of the signal through.

obviously don't know the difference between a coupling capacitor and decoupling (bypass) capacitor.

The text should have said:
This amplifier does not have a coupling capacitor, so it lets the DC component of the signal through.

A decoupling capacitor is used for power supply rails often locally to ensure a 'stiff' power supply rails locally.
So... wrong wording was used.

What they are warning for is NOT to use sources that have a DC component on its output.

Last edited:

Hollywood_Bob

Thank you for your post.

Could you expand on this a bit for further clarification?

"NOT to use sources that have a DC component on its output"

Thanks.

egellings

Major Contributor
That's true, but manufacturers have to assume that their products may get connected to other ones that may not have a DC isolation capacitor. In that setting, you'd need that capacitor in there. Another reason for the cap would be safety. If a transistor preamp using a high enough voltage to cause a shock developed a fault that resulted in high DC voltage at its output, the cap would offer electrical shock protection. With tube preamps, the cap is an absolute necessity, since HV is almost always present at the tube preamp's output terminal.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Thank you for your post.

Could you expand on this a bit for further clarification?

"NOT to use sources that have a DC component on its output"

Thanks.

Most sources do not have DC on their output but some designs might.
In this particular amp that DC is amplified along with the signal.
In such a case the output of the amplifier could have DC on its output. The danger here is that you cannot hear that (there are tell tale signs, certainly when looking at a woofer) but a heat is generated in the voice coil. When there is a lot of DC the woofer will (silently) burn out .... unless you have a DC protection circuit after the amplifier.

This can be prevented by adding a coupling capacitor to the input of the amp or using a buffer circuit with DC-servo or AC coupling.
As the input resistance of most class-D is rather low (when not buffered) you may have to use a coupling cap with a rather high capacitance (think capacitors used in speaker cross-overs).

pma

Major Contributor
I know many preamps and DACs that have no output capacitors in signal path. And the DACs that will send output DC if you ask them. This is not tested at ASR, so people do not know. In fact, DC path + DC servo is the best solution, with no coupling capacitors. DC protection circuits must be properly designed and implemented in the power amplifier.
This discussion is, again, quite pointless and useless.

Hollywood_Bob

You all speak with a familiarity of this subject, in which I have no background.

But this discussion doesn't seem pointless and useless in consideration of purchasing a hypex amplifier.

Is that a fair conclusion?

You all speak with a familiarity of this subject, in which I have no background.

But this discussion doesn't seem pointless and useless in consideration of purchasing a hypex amplifier.

Is that a fair conclusion?
Im gonna agree with you, because I went through this thread, as well as this one as well as other websites where this issue was raised. And if I understood why DC could be dangerous for speakers, my total lack of engineering and electrical background still leaves me at a kind of loss in term of practical accessible solution, so I'm gonna play dumb customer below
First, how can we know if what we plug would send DC into this power amp ? I failed to find it in the specs of the various devices I could consider plug into it. Is it written somewhere, and if yes how, what to look for ? I do not own, nor know how to use a voltmeter, and would struggle to trust myself with what I'd do if one ended up between my hands (I'm exaggerating a bit since it's been well explained here, I'll admit, but common unexperimented use would be that).

Second, is it a common issue ? Is it mostly about unusual or older devices ; does this potential issue (can) affect some of the asr house favorites like most topping or SMSL dacs and preamps, etc. ? I have not found so far anyone on the internet complaining that they destroyed their speakers because of this issue in an audiophonics power amp which would lead me to think it would be a very rare occurrence (even rarer than dac/preamps rebooting to full outputs and destroying ears&speakers when connected to a power amp), so how much is it a cause for real concern ?

Additionally, would a passive preamp (example in the same brand) and/or an active one solve or affect this potential issue at all ? It's also been said to "add a coupling capacitor" in a very clear post, but as clear as I can see it was, I do not have the technical knowledge of too many terms to understand it. This capacitor is an electronic component if I'm not mistaken (again?). Alright. So ? How does one "add" it ? Do we have to get another device to plug between cable and power amp and if yes how's it called ; or do we have to make it/solder it ourselves, which would make that even less accessible ? Wouldn't that risk adding noise and disturbances to the sound ? I imagine a lot of these is fairly obvious to some, but a true mystery for many.

Top Bottom