• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power Amp To Pair With Denon AVR-X3700H (Class AB or D?) (150-200WPC)

CoolHandDuke

I have a Denon AVR-X3700H on the way and am interested in eventually adding a separate stereo amp to use in a 2.1 setup. I'm powering Ascend Sierra 2-EX (85dB sensitivity). I'm intrigued by the small form factors of class D amps, but interested in what others have used with good results for pairing. Ideally I'd like to stay in the 1200 USD and under mark. Right now, I'm considering the Monolith 2x200 or something like a March Audio Hypex.

MrGoodbits

Forum Donor
I got an AVR X3700H and a Monolith 5x200 a couple of months ago and they work perfectly together. The Monolith is built like a tank and runs very cool, I’m pretty sure the 2x would be the same. That said, there are a lot more amp options in the 2 channel space than in the 5 channel space. I had hoped to get a class D 5x single chassis amp but but could not find a good balance of price and quality. That will probably improve within a year but I didn’t want to wait. For your needs, I’d lean towards the March Audio.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
C

CoolHandDuke

I got an AVR X3700H and a Monolith 5x200 a couple of months ago and they work perfectly together. The Monolith is built like a tank and runs very cool, I’m pretty sure the 2x would be the same. That said, there are a lot more amp options in the 2 channel space than in the 5 channel space. I had hoped to get a class D 5x single chassis amp but but could not find a good balance of price and quality. That will probably improve within a year but I didn’t want to wait. For your needs, I’d lean towards the March Audio.
They look very well built. And 45lbs for the 2 channel is no joke.

MrGoodbits

Forum Donor
Great deal for the Buckeye and the builder looks like he's investing in recommended improvements.
Agreed, the Buckeye looks like great value.

OP
C

CoolHandDuke

Agreed, the Buckeye looks like great value.
The AVR doesn't have balanced outputs though to use with the Buckeye. I know there are RCA to XLR cables, but not sure if that impacts signal. The gain on these are closer to 26dB rather than a measured 28.8dB on Monolith. I'm not sure what that means to me. I believe Monolith reaches full power at a lower voltage as well. But it is twice as much. At the price, it would be hard not to get the 350W 8ohm Buckeye, but my speakers are only rated for 150 continuous.

MrGoodbits

Forum Donor
I didn’t realize the Buckeye had only balanced inputs. That said, I have used RCA -> XLR cables before and had no issues, but finding reasonably priced cables that are wired correctly was hard. Apparently there’s a particular way to make the connections that carries some of the benefits of balanced.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have the VTV Purifi Eval 1 amp. Cannot praise it enough. Have Monoprice rca>XLR cables running from my Onkyo AVR>Schitt Freya+>xlr>Purifi. I previously used the same rca>XLR cables from my AVR>Emotiva Stealth PA-1monoblocs with no issues. Both amps sounded great with the Monoprice cables so I wouldn't worry over that issue.

bigguyca

Great deal for the Buckeye and the builder looks like he's investing in recommended improvements.

The guy assembling and selling the Buckeyes is a graduate student who is putting these amps together at very low margins. An initial teardown showed several potential safety issues. These amps have no safety certifications such as UL or EC. It is also not clear if the business has any liability insurance or other financial resources if things to wrong. It is also not clear how warranties, if provided, would be backed up over time. The amplifiers are supplied using 120V so opportunities exist for serious injury.

The amplifiers do look promising, but it would likely be best if individuals who have an understanding of the potential safety and financial issues purchase these units.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The guy assembling and selling the Buckeyes is a graduate student who is putting these amps together at very low margins. An initial teardown showed several potential safety issues. These amps have no safety certifications such as UL or EC. It is also not clear if the business has any liability insurance or other financial resources if things to wrong. It is also not clear how warranties, if provided, would be backed up over time. The amplifiers are supplied using 120V so opportunities exist for serious injury.

The amplifiers do look promising, but it would likely be best if individuals who have an understanding of the potential safety and financial issues purchase these units.

Your comment is a bit misleading. Amir, along with several other competent members pointed out potential areas for improvement and safety during the tear-down and @Buckeye Amps has implemented all of them. I would not hesitate to purchase an amp or several he has built. It's not a nuclear reactor and if one doesn't open the case and play around with wires I can't imagine anything untoward occurring. They are designed to be "put together" by DIY'ers so it's not as if he's soldering caps and building transformers.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The AVR doesn't have balanced outputs though to use with the Buckeye. I know there are RCA to XLR cables, but not sure if that impacts signal. The gain on these are closer to 26dB rather than a measured 28.8dB on Monolith. I'm not sure what that means to me. I believe Monolith reaches full power at a lower voltage as well. But it is twice as much. At the price, it would be hard not to get the 350W 8ohm Buckeye, but my speakers are only rated for 150 continuous.

You could purchase the amp with the lower powered modules, which are cheaper as well but one can never have too much power!

OP
C

CoolHandDuke

Thank you all for your input and the info. I'm on the fence between the Buckeye, Outlaw 2220 Mono blocks, and the Monolith 2x200. Sounds like they all have their pros and cons.

OP
C

CoolHandDuke

This is a consideration. I have no doubt Buckeye is doing their due diligence for what they are assembling, but I realize the limitations that carries with it.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Even if you were not to purchase from me, I cannot stress enough how great the Hypex Ncore modules sound and perform. As I have shared with customers or even just fellow audiophiles looking for input, I have used maybe 18 different amplifiers over the last 10 years....from Anthem to Parasound to Sunfire, Emotiva, Outlaw, ATI (non-Ncore), and Rotel. With all of those amps, I always found a reason to try a new amplifier and was always browsing the classifieds for new opportunities.

Since trying my first Hypex through ATI, I was hooked. Only reason I sold it was because I built my own which saved me money while having the exact same sound.

OP
C

CoolHandDuke

Even if you were not to purchase from me, I cannot stress enough how great the Hypex Ncore modules sound and perform. As I have shared with customers or even just fellow audiophiles looking for input, I have used maybe 18 different amplifiers over the last 10 years....from Anthem to Parasound to Sunfire, Emotiva, Outlaw, ATI (non-Ncore), and Rotel. With all of those amps, I always found a reason to try a new amplifier and was always browsing the classifieds for new opportunities.

Since trying my first Hypex through ATI, I was hooked. Only reason I sold it was because I built my own which saved me money while having the exact same sound.
That's great to hear. I'm new to the hifi world, and will admit that I've been led to believe AB is better than D, but I'm trying to draw my own conclusions rather than take the old school audiophile opinions as fact.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
That's great to hear. I'm new to the hifi world, and will admit that I've been led to believe AB is better than D, but I'm trying to draw my own conclusions rather than take the old school audiophile opinions as fact.
I can say the older Class D amps are definitely "inferior" to Class AB. But the newer designs, specifically the Ncores, Pascals, and Purifis have closed the gap and objective review for review they sound "just as good" as AB minus the weight and heat.

OP
C

CoolHandDuke

I can say the older Class D amps are definitely "inferior" to Class AB. But the newer designs, specifically the Ncores, Pascals, and Purifis have closed the gap and objective review for review they sound "just as good" as AB minus the weight and heat.
I was reading thru Amir's measurements of your unit. Was there ever a resolution as to why the 2 channels measured differently?

OP
C

CoolHandDuke

I'm hoping we get some measurements of the Outlaw 2220 in the near future. I see claims from Outlaw signal to noise is better than 2200. If it's pushing into the 90s, that would be excellent for the price. I'm also seeing good deals on Parasound 2125 and 2250, but can't find as much info about those.

Last edited:
Top Bottom