• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power Amp Hunt 2 x 600/800 W @ 4 Ohm

Koobenot

Hi, I'm looking for a live music playing/disco power amplifier with the following parameters:
  • 2 x 600 (800) W / 4 Ohm
  • 2 x 380 W / 8 Ohm
  • 1 x 1200 W / 8 Ohm bridge
  • Balanced XLR in / Speaker twist out (SPEAKON speaker)
  • Ground lift
  • Temperature switch-off
  • DC protection
  • Fan
  • Format: 19", 2 U
The budget is 700-900 EU.

The candidates I have focused on are the following:

Dynacord SL 1200
Crown XLI-2500
QSC GX-5
Electro-Voice P1202
Electro-Voice CP-1800
Electro-Voice Q66-II
QSC ISA-450

What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

kipman725

These are quite old models buying them new is bad value for money if you check second hand prices. Newer models will have increased power output for a given weight.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Amirm has reviewed quite a few Crown amps, but only one lower powered (XLi-800) from the XLi range. It didn't preform very well.
The XLS series did better and I think a few here have bought them and been happy, and it has built in DSP.

The XLS2502 seems to have nearly the power you are looking for.
I'm unsure if the XLi250x would have more or less power, with the same nomenclature I would hope the power level specs are similar, but that's just a guess. Regardless difficult to compare without apples to apples actual (trusted 3rd party) measurements.

The XLS isn't much more than than XLi, and it's still within your budge (at least in USD).

OP
K

Koobenot

These are quite old models buying them new is bad value for money if you check second hand prices. Newer models will have increased power output for a given weight.
Can you recommend something newer in the same price range? Thanks!

kipman725

XLS2502 seems decent very light has some DSP features that might be useful. I have a few of Gisens amplifiers and have been satisfied with them: https://www.gisenaudio.com/high-power-amplifier-class-d-full-range-amplifier-2100wx2-8ohm . The thomann t.amps range meet their power specs and have a 3 year warranty and low prices. QSC GXD range is the newer low end QSC range.

Mainly I was advising if you where interested in your original list of amps they are readily available 2nd hand so buying new seems relatively expensive.

Scrappy

QSC are incredibly reliable, bulletproof and very well made.
I got a call today from a guy asking my recommendation on an amp to drive a JBL double-18 a side for his bar rig. He was warned off new Samsung Crown amps, tho he can get a deeep discount on one. As per portable rig, I recommended QSC PLD. Guess they’re discontinued? Dunno I live in Lab.Gruppen world. And Lacoustic and DnB...

Top Bottom