• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power Amp for use with Wilson Sabrinas on $3k Budget

Grumpish

Does a class A amp use a lot more power?

Yes, they make excellent heaters, if they are pure class A they are consuming all the power all the time. There is a good reason why high power Class A amps have massive amounts of heatsinking, and quite often fans as well. Also Wilson speakers have a reputation for having very low impedances - the Sabrina is no exception and drops to 2.5 ohms at points.

nerdoldnerdith

There is no reason to get an AHB2 for those speakers. The ultra low distortion is only useful for speakers with a very high sensitivity.

MasterApex

No limiting factor. Another room needs the 5 channels and the room with the Sabrinas only needs 2 channels.
Let us know the final outcome....the Sabrina is highly resolving speakers therefore you detected in amp differences...your other room may not have as resolving speakers to tell the amp differences.

despoiler

I would check out the Musical Fidelity M6si. It's an integrated, but it's more of an old school style integrated that happens to have a pre, DAC, and phono stage in it. You don't need to use the DAC and the pre can be bypassed if you don't like or want to use it. The amp section won't have an issue with low impedances.

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This looks nice too. The unit is really small. Does a class A amp use a lot more power? I'm just curious because my electric bill is like $800 already.
$800 per month?!
At $0.25/kWh (pretty high, my total is $0.11) that is a constant load of 4.3 kW, 7 x 24

At my rate 10 kW continuous

MasterApex

During summer my electricity bill reaches $950 with 3 running ACs.
In winter, typically down to $300 so I don't think amplifier power consumption is major factor to electricity bill.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can get a used McIntosh for 3k. Would look nice with your Wilson's.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I need something that has an auto on/off feature. What would you recommend?
A pair of boXem Arthur monos with auto sense are based on Hypex NCore MP modules and generate 500W in 4 ohms, costs 1,300 euros for the pair + shipping + customs.
Discreet colors like black and silver, or the awesome orange face plate. :D
https://boxem-audio.eu/en/mono-amplifiers/9-20-arthur-4614n1.html#/2-faceplate_color-oxidized_grey
You already have the best recommendation here... yet appear to have ignored same.

Why would anyone need class A in 2021? Unless you're after an amp that doubles as a heater. ;)

JSmith

Piatnik

Forum Donor
I currently use AHB2s in bridge mode for my Sabrina. Perfect. I tried them to compare with my MC462. I am now thinking about selling the 462…

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom