• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Potentiometer value between Wiim Pro and Power amp

qguy

Planning to get a Wiim Pro and plan to connect it directly to a power amp, I know the Wiim pro has a digital volume control, but since i would be connecting it directly to a power amp (Rotel RB 1090) , I am afraid that there would be a possibility that the remote or app used to control the power amp might go berzerk and go full volume on the power amp. I would like to insert a potentiometer in between the Wiim and the power amp, what value for the pot should I use? The power amp has an input impedance of 33k ohms, sensitivity is 1.8v. I know the Wimm pro's analog output is 2.0v

egellings

Major Contributor
Something in the 20 to 20K range would work. It needs to have an audio taper.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Planning to get a Wiim Pro and plan to connect it directly to a power amp, I know the Wiim pro has a digital volume control, but since i would be connecting it directly to a power amp (Rotel RB 1090) , I am afraid that there would be a possibility that the remote or app used to control the power amp might go berzerk and go full volume on the power amp. I would like to insert a potentiometer in between the Wiim and the power amp, what value for the pot should I use? The power amp has an input impedance of 33k ohms, sensitivity is 1.8v. I know the Wimm pro's analog output is 2.0v
You can limit Pro's analog output level instead, using the WiiM Home app.

OP
Q

qguy

Would there be a disadvantage using the Wiim's volume control to control the volume vs using an external pot or pre? I read somewhere that using a digital volume degrades the sound quality

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
This does affect the SQ, but the degradation is really small, if audible at all. There is no downsampling involved.

egellings

Major Contributor
Different audio tapers are slight variations of logarithmic (log) changes in resistance from the wiper to one end of the resistive element as the shaft is rotated. If you go to the ALPS potentiometer website, they give a very good description of the various kinds of tapers in pots. The reason for using the log taper in volume controls is that our hearing is logarithmic; It takes nearly a tenfold increase in signal amplitude for us chickens to notice that the volume about doubled in loudness. Bedawk!

Dmaumau

If you can find a Creek OBH-12 for cheap it would be interesting and save you some tinkering.

Top Bottom