• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Potentially stupid question about pre-amp recommendation for powered speakers

Willem

Major Contributor
With regards to the question about a digital switch, I use this one: https://www.tindie.com/products/Beni_Skate/automatic-spdif-opticalrca-audio-switch/ It switches automatically, provided no source is always on. So it is fine for my CCA, my BD player and my television, but my Pro-ject Optical Ebox MM preamp and ADC does not work properly (hum).
As for DAC/pre-amp, I am a happy user of an RME ADI-2 DAC with volume control (and much else). It does not have any analogue inputs, let alone for a turntable, so I use the Pro-ject optical Ebox. Diehard vinyl addicts wil be horrified, but I am sure its resolution is significantly better than any pickup cartridge. I ditched my Quad 33 preamp, and the sound has only improved.

Last edited:

Fledermaus

Forum Donor

JDMike

If you are considering older unit (20+ years) the Denon PRA-1500 preamp would work. It has XLR outs, phono input and remote. There are 4 on that auction site as I type, all within your budget.

Top Bottom