• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Potentially stupid question about pre-amp recommendation for powered speakers

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
This may be an incredibly basic question, but can anyone recommend an affordable pre-amp that would allow me to run a DAC, turntable, computer and CD player into a set of Genelecs with XLR connections? Is a pre-amp the best way to solve this problem, since the speakers are providing the power? Thanks!

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
What's affordable for you?

Tatteredmidnight

Another consideration is whether your sources are balanced. If not, a passive preamp will probably be using a 1:1 transformer if the outputs are truely balanced. This would mean that you could conceivably use an unbalanced pre and your own 1:1 transformer between the pre and your monitors, which could open up more options. This is only really applicable with passive preamps, so not sure about your turntable use case. I’ve used a Behringer MicroHD HD400 for this, but I don’t have measurements on how it impacts the performance of the audio chain.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Yes, a common audio pre-amp is what you need. We’ll see what you come back with for Kal’s “what’s affordable to you” question, but typically budget models don’t have XLR outputs.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Also- is the turntable/cartridge a conventional one or is it USB?

OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Another consideration is whether your sources are balanced. If not, a passive preamp will probably be using a 1:1 transformer if the outputs are truely balanced. This would mean that you could conceivably use an unbalanced pre and your own 1:1 transformer between the pre and your monitors, which could open up more options. This is only really applicable with passive preamps, so not sure about your turntable use case. I’ve used a Behringer MicroHD HD400 for this, but I don’t have measurements on how it impacts the performance of the audio chain.

What job is the HD400 doing in this setup?

Tatteredmidnight

What job is the HD400 doing in this setup?
It’s creating a differential signal from a single ended one. It will give you a true balanced output in that it will reject induced noise along the line after the transformer, and should also break a number of ground loop conditions (obviously only between the upstream and downstream components, if there is a loop before the transformer there is nothing it can do). It will not give you the increased signal dynamics of a balanced source since it’s completely passive.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A pro audio interface would do what you want with two caveats. It won't have remote control. It won't have a phono input. If you have a phono stage already it would work. Or you could purchase a phono stage. An Emotiva XPS-1 for $209 for instance. Amir tested it, and it wasn't bad as I recall. This would leave enough money in your budget for a pro audio interface with 2 or 4 channels. It will have XLR or TRS balanced outputs.

An old style analog preamp would work too if you aren't wishing to send digital signals from the computer. Few of those will have XLR outs at your budget however. You likely would get a fine result using a preamp with RCA outs using an RCA to XLR type cable to the speakers.

Another approach would be a second hand AV preamp/processor. Those will usually have digital ins and outs, analog ins and outs on XLR, usually have a phono input plus some things you won't need, but can ignore. Plus a remote. One from a few years ago from Marantz or Yamaha should do well for you. You can find one in your budget that way.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most Genelec are using balanced (XLR) inputs.

So, if you don't have one already, you just need a good balanced DAC.

Do you need bass/trebble/parametric and remote?
If that's the case and you can afford it, the RME ADI-2 DAC seems a very good choice.
It won't work with analog sources though.

If you already have a DAC you're happy with, an SPL control2 or volume 2 (second hand) may be all you need.

But if you have a good preamp at hand already, why not to use it?

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am on the lookout for a good digital switcher for several digital sources. All I have found thus far is the RDL HR-DSX4. Not cheap, but at least it's simple and allows all formats.

suttondesign

Forum Donor
This may be an incredibly basic question, but can anyone recommend an affordable pre-amp that would allow me to run a DAC, turntable, computer and CD player into a set of Genelecs with XLR connections?

BTW, definitely not a stupid question! The electronics industry is not ready for the prosumer mix of analog and digital with high-quality balanced connections.

audimus

BTW, definitely not a stupid question! The electronics industry is not ready for the prosumer mix of analog and digital with high-quality balanced connections.

I think the industry would be ready in a heartbeat if there was more than a niche market for it to get the economy of scale and so be able to sell at low-mid tiers.

suttondesign

Forum Donor
I'm not sure what "the industry" is anymore! There is so much fragmentation and specialization. But I get your point.

OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
I was extremely surprised that this isn't a common problem that folks are trying to solve-- It seems like especially with people in so many areas having to make do with smaller spaces, this would be a popular product. The rep at one of my local stores told me he knows recording studios that are accomplishing this with AV receivers. Attn, all you builders on ASR: If you were to design it, know you can sell at least one!

OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
By the way, in case folks are interested: found one of these for $275 and this is the closest I have been able to come. Running the sub-woofer outs into powered speakers with a splitter. Problem with this solution is that I would have to buy a phono amp, and I assume a headphone amp, so that puts this at well over $500.

https://micromega.com/en/products/my-range/myamp/

Also, Schiit quoted me $600+ for the individual boxes to accomplish this. And we are in the realm of untested/low-performance gear.

I think the NAD 3045 would work too?

Top Bottom