• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Potential "New" Elac Debut Reference Speaker?

wje

Forum Donor
In some of my travels, I came across this image - which appears to be from the Debut Reference line. There appears to be some modification to the tweeter waveguide system - or, it could be the same one utilized with the Debut Reference DBR62, but use with a smaller woofer (5.25" ?). Or, could it be a 3-way like the Uni-Fi? I haven't heard any announcements on a smaller version being released yet, though.

1594235651747.png

Icboschert

Forum Donor
might just be a photoshopped image that ELAC put together at some point? looks like a different woofer too but hard to tell

Icboschert

Forum Donor
Seems photoshopped, since the scale of the tweeter is different and the woofer is also.

1594236707553.png

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
I became aware of it through an advertisement on Facebook. That's where I collected the image from. I'm trying to find the actual source again.

Honken

The port is narrower as well, I guess all the details are pointing to a (much?) smaller speaker.

If it is not a photoshopped image (why would it be? seems like an awful lot of effort for no reason), I find this interesting as I don't need my speakers to dig as low as they currently do.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
The port is narrower as well, I guess all the details are pointing to a (much?) smaller speaker.

If it is not a photoshopped image (why would it be? seems like an awful lot of effort for no reason), I find this interesting as I don't need my speakers to dig as low as they currently do.

That's what I was thinking - they're seeking to fill a gap for someone who wants a slightly smaller speaker, with bass that doesn't go quite as low as the 6.5" DBR62 model.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The picture is on the Czech Elac site, just not listed among the available speakers. The woofer looks a lot like the carina series woofers.
I found a press release saying the same:

Carina_BS243.4-SB..jpg

For some reason the website that has this blurs out the text once you open it (could be my ad blocker).

Reactions: wje

Honken

That's what I was thinking - they're seeking to fill a gap for someone who wants a slightly smaller speaker, with bass that doesn't go quite as low as the 6.5" DBR62 model.
Yeah, it's probably much smaller judging by the size difference between the tweeter and woofer, and comparing that with the 5.25" woofer on the floorstander model. I'm guessing this would land somewhere around 4 inches.

I'm honestly not well versed in the physical side of sound reproduction, how small can a woofer realistically get before it becomes anemic in its response (or at least becomes impossible to cross with a sub)?

Amir, the blurring sounds annoying but I'd still like to take a look at that press release. Would it be possible for you to share the link? Thanks!
Edit: I looked for the press release myself, but could only find really old news - even on the German website.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I got this ad on my facebook today.

clicking on it only brings up sales on their existing line. I guess some marketing type photoshooped this to make it look more balanced and prettier than their actual speakers ?

Attachments

• E1674D33-9194-46FC-BE62-40B9FC5F8C8D.jpeg
    E1674D33-9194-46FC-BE62-40B9FC5F8C8D.jpeg
    846.2 KB · Views: 194
OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
I got this ad on my facebook today.

clicking on it only brings up sales on their existing line. I guess some marketing type photoshooped this to make it look more balanced and prettier than their actual speakers ?

Yes, that's where I first saw the picture too. However, I cropped it a bit in my original post to remove the sale details. I've sent an e-mail to Elac North American support this morning asking them if there would be a smaller Debut Reference soon available as reflected in the picture. I'll post a response here when, and if, I get a response.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
I've received a response from Elac. Apparently, it was just a pre-production prototype speaker in the picture. Hmm... Stay tuned, I guess.

Elac Response.JPG

Perfect_pint

I think this might be just 3D / 2D rendered concept testing out new designs with different driver variations, wive guides and finish. I create photorealistic 3D renders of products for companies for use in press releases when the final product or even prototype is not fully finished. The heavily white backdrop and stairs makes it easy to adjust the lighting, shadows on the product.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
I think this might be just 3D / 2D rendered concept testing out new designs with different driver variations, wive guides and finish. I create photorealistic 3D renders of products for companies for use in press releases when the final product or even prototype is not fully finished. The heavily white backdrop and stairs makes it easy to adjust the lighting, shadows on the product.

If you read my posted response from Elac, it was a pre-production prototype. Elac, could ideally, release the 5.25" version of the Debut Reference speaker at some point in the future.

Perfect_pint

If you read my posted response from Elac, it was a pre-production prototype. Elac, could ideally, release the 5.25" version of the Debut Reference speaker at some point in the future.
Oops missed that .

Top Bottom