• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Potential New 3.5mm USB-C Dongles & USB DAC/AMPs

Veri

Master Contributor

Earfonia

I think these 'visual' style measurements are really not all that helpful/reliable. Alternative measurement sources that employ commonly employed suites like https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/ are much more reliable IMO.

Have you read the explanation of the DF measurement?
I think DF measurement complements the current general measurement like SINAD, THD, etc. It shows other aspects that are not clearly shown from common measurement set. DF measurement is not very popular, so need a bit of reading to understand it. The concept is simple but the calculation algorithm I heard is quite complex.

I0000dayz

Thanks a lot for your recommendation. I am extremely happy with how this sounds compared to my Ifi Zen Can. The sound of the iBasso DC03 is extremely clean and instrument separation is top notch, also it has more than enough amplification power. I'm however most impressed with the dynamic range of this thing, it's mental, I never thought music can sound so relaxed and open even when it goes into complex rampages. So far this little DAC/amp is the best deal I got in audiophilia for the price and not only. Awesome community you got here brothers and sisters!

I also bought the Apple Dongle for fun just to see what the hype is about, it's good too, it can't drive a Sundara all the way, or any other headphone with low sensitivity, but it is still great for lesser headphones or even as a DAC for desktop speakers. Not bad for 9$.

Last edited:

dan2021

Thanks a lot for your recommendation. I am extremely happy with how this sounds compared to my Ifi Zen Can. The sound of the iBasso DC03 is extremely clean and instrument separation is top notch, also it has more than enough amplification power. I'm however most impressed with the dynamic range of this thing, it's mental, I never thought music can sound so relaxed and open even when it goes into complex rampages. So far this little DAC/amp is the best deal I got in audiophilia for the price and not only. Awesome community you got here brothers and sisters!

I also bought the Apple Dongle for fun just to see what the hype is about, it's good too, it can't drive a Sundara all the way, or any other headphone with low sensitivity, but it is still great for lesser headphones or even as a DAC for desktop speakers. Not bad for 9$.

Any idea if the DC04 is as good as the DC03?

Jet Black

Any idea if the DC04 is as good as the DC03?
They utilize the same chip, it's just the dc04 is balanced with 2.5mm output. Dc03 is using unbalanced 3.5mm output. Both using cirrus logic cs43131 audio chip

dan2021

They utilize the same chip, it's just the dc04 is balanced with 2.5mm output. Dc03 is using unbalanced 3.5mm output. Both using cirrus logic cs43131 audio chip

I just picked 1 up. Got a really good deal on a used one for 34 usd and couldnt pass it up. Its extremely solid. Im mainly using it as a stop gap until my Topping A50S reaches but have to say for it's size, it's super impressive.

WoodyLuvr

Something curious has quietly dropped into AliExpress recently... it appears to be a rebranded Clot Audio CPONE.

HAC 2 / HAC 3 Portable HiFi DAC Headphone Amplifier

1622709782167.png
1622709790472.png

HAC 2 - this two-port version (3.5SE Unbalanced + 4.4TRRS Balanced) appears to be a rebranded/recased CPONE / CPONE S (Clot Audio by ArtVano). However, the HAC 2 uses the AKM AK4493 instead of the AKM AK4497 seen in the CPONE / CPONE S. Perhaps due to the Asahi Kasei Microdevices (AKM) fire in October 2020.

For those unfamiliar with ArtVano it is the parent company for a number of well known audio companies: Meccaaudio; PISLO (piezoelectric earbuds), Otato (IEMs), ARETS (IEMs), ALO Cable, LunaCable, etc.

Clot Audio CPONE S
1622709638445.png
Clot Audio CPONE
1622709809664.png

HAC 3 - the second version has three ports (3.5SE Unbalanced + 4.4TRRS Balanced + 2.5TRRS Balanced) and it too appears to be a rebranded/recased Clot Audio product... either the CPPRO or maybe even a severely nerfed CPWOO! which is due to release for individual sale in about two-three (2) days. The Clot Audio CPWoo! is currently supplied as an accessory with the high impedance version of the PISLO PXVV (see pics below). The HAC 3 also uses the AKM AK4493 chip rather than the AKM AK4497 seen in the CPONE PRO and an older AKM AK4462 which is being used in the new CPWOO! Again, maybe the AKM fire is the most likely the best explanation as to why Clot Audio is utilizing the older AK4462 chipset in their newest decoder product.

Clot Audio CPONE PRO
1622709856029.png
Clot Audio CPWOO!
1622709863356.png
1622709830967.png

Attachments

• 1622709819789.png
    1622709819789.png
    520.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

WoodyLuvr

And another curiosity by Clot Audio is their dongle series.

CPHI PRO / CPHI / CPHI (IOS)

11506858.png

11506859.png

Sized just between the iBasso DC04 and the Meizu Hi-Fi Pro the full-wood body/shell CPHI Pro conveniently offers two (2) ports: 2.5TRRS Balanced and 3.5SE Unbalanced.

Unfortunately, the DAC chip used is currently unknown and strangely not listed... though the specs ( 32bit/384khz; DSD 64/128 (PCM); SNR: 128db; VRMS: 1.6~2 ) point to a slightly nerfed variant of AKM's 2018 AK4377 which makes perfect sense since the AK4377 has a built-in ground-referenced headphone amplifier.

The CPHI and CPHI (IOS) models are a slight downgrade in shell material (plastic instead of wood); basic cabling; and offer no DSD support.

Last edited:

Jet Black

And another curiosity by Clot Audio is their dongle series.

CPHI PRO / CPHI / CPHI (IOS)

11506858.png

11506859.png

Sized just between the iBasso DC04 and the Meizu Hi-Fi Pro the full-wood body/shell CPHI Pro conveniently offers two (2) ports: 2.5TRRS Balanced and 3.5SE Unbalanced.

Unfortunately, the DAC chip used is currently unknown and strangely not listed... though the specs ( 32bit/384khz; DSD 64/128 (PCM); SNR: 128db; VRMS: 1.6~2 ) point to a slightly nerfed variant of AKM's 2018 AK4377 which makes perfect sense since the AK4377 has a built-in ground-referenced headphone amplifier.

The CPHI and CPHI (IOS) models are a slight downgrade in shell material (plastic instead of wood); basic cabling; and offer no DSD support.
Are these way superior than a dc03?

WoodyLuvr

They are receiving praise on a number of Korean and Chinese mobile audiophile forums and blogs but I have yet to listen to one myself but will shortly. Many have likened it to the Meizu HiFi Pro and rate it above the iBasso DC03. Sadly the DAC chip being used remains a mystery which may or may not be a good sign.

Jet Black

They are receiving praise on a number of Korean and Chinese mobile audiophile forums and blogs but I have yet to listen to one myself but will shortly. Many have likened it to the Meizu HiFi Pro and rate it above the iBasso DC03. Sadly the DAC chip being used remains a mystery which may or may not be a good sign.
Meizu hifi pro sounds way better than an ibasso dc03? Really? =/

WoodyLuvr

Meizu hifi pro sounds way better than an ibasso dc03? Really? =/
The Meizu HiFi Pro is very well regarded over here in Asia and typically was/is preferred over the iBasso but I chalk that up to being simply personal preference in most cases, as well as due to the cleaner testing measurements and power output of the Meizu HiFi Pro version when "tricked" and it's low-profile format. I myself can not hear a difference between most DACs (unless they are poorly/incorrectly made and/or implemented) once the volume is corrected (matched). I could not hear a difference between the Meizu HiFI Pro, iBasso DC02, or iBasso DC03 but simply ended up choosing the Meizu Pro as it was smaller and measured the best.

Last edited:

Jet Black

The Meizu HiFi Pro is very well regarded over here in Asia and typically was/is preferred over the iBasso but I chalk that up to being simply personal preference in most cases, as well as due to the cleaner testing measurements and power output of the Meizu HiFi Pro version when "tricked" and it's low-profile format. I myself can not hear a difference between most DACs (unless they are poorly/incorrectly made and/or implemented) once the volume is corrected (matched). I could not hear a difference between the Meizu HiFI Pro, iBasso DC02, or iBasso DC03 but simply ended up choosing the Meizu Pro as it was smaller and measured the best.
The thing is both uses same cirrus logic chip cs43131. The difference is in price and that ibasso dc03 has higher power output at 80mw @ 32ohms against meizu's measly 30mw. Also ibasso implemented dual cs43131 on dc03 as opposed to only single cs43131 chip on the Meizu. I heard the dual dac implementation made it more lower noise/distortion. But I really haven't tried the Meizu to have a ear test comparison between them, i suspect both are the same however dc03 can drive harder to drive iem/headphones.

Zerohour

The thing is both uses same cirrus logic chip cs43131. The difference is in price and that ibasso dc03 has higher power output at 80mw @ 32ohms against meizu's measly 30mw. Also ibasso implemented dual cs43131 on dc03 as opposed to only single cs43131 chip on the Meizu. I heard the dual dac implementation made it more lower noise/distortion. But I really haven't tried the Meizu to have a ear test comparison between them, i suspect both are the same however dc03 can drive harder to drive iem/headphones.

are you for real? Meizu Hifi Pro has literally been measured here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hifi-pro-usb-c-phone-dongle-dac-review.10423/

and DC03 by wolf:

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurement-of-ibasso-dc-03/

plus, chip selection does not equal quality, implementation does.

WoodyLuvr

Yes, it may be listed by Meizu as having only ~1.75Vrms output (as determined by auto-impedance detection) with a thrust of 30mW @ 32Ω (6.7mW @ 600Ω) however, it has been measured to be much, much higher @ 87mW @ 33Ω ( https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hifi-pro-usb-c-phone-dongle-dac-review.10423/ ) and if "tricked" via a headphone adapter it will output at ~2Vrms with a thrust of 100mW @ 32Ω (13mW @ 300Ω); <0.0002% THD+N @ 1kHz; >123dBA (https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/94991395).

Headphone Adapter Trick:
1. Firstly, plug the adapter into the output jack of the Meizu HiFi Pro​
2. Secondly, plug the Meizu HiFi Pro into the phone/pc (at which point device will recognize as if headphones are plugged in and switch to high-gain mode)​
3. Thirdly, plug headphone into the adapter​

The device "sees" the empty adapter as ∞ (infinity) impedance and therefore "activates" high-gain/high-impedance mode.​

Last edited:
Top Bottom