• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Potential for life in Venus detected

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the Earth, phosphine is a colorless and highly toxic gas that is produced by microorganisms that do not need oxygen to function. So I just wonder why the scientists decided to look for it in the planets.

First, let's start by a direct quote from the paper

"PH3 could originate from unknown photochemistry or geochemistry, or, by analogy with biological production of PH3 on Earth, from the presence of life." https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-020-1174-4

That's a bit different from the exclusive focus on biological production that the press widely publicized.

As to why someone looked for it, see this https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2020AsBio..20..235S/abstract (full text: https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1910/1910.05224.pdf)

1) we know of no non-biological process, on rocky planets such as Earth, that could produce phosphine continuously. Continuously because it is constantly degraded by UV (and O, OH, H).

2) it is _relatively_ easy to detect.

From the paper "Phosphine is a promising biosignature gas, as it has no known abiotic false positives on terrestrial planets from any source that could generate the high fluxes required for detection. "

And yes, "no known" could go both ways.

During the next 10 years or so, we should be able to get spectroscopy results from the atmosphere of at least some exo-planets. It makes sense to worry now about what we should look for when the instrumental capability is there.

JacobCooper

The follow-up study suggested that the element discovered wasn't phosphine but sulfur dioxide. What can you tell me about this assumption?

KingRolo

Well women are from Venus, So there probably looking for Dude's!
mars-and-venus.jpg

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Carbone is a Polish maker of shift knobs, steering wheels, etc.

I couldn't wait to put my riff on the mis-spelling into the special humor thread.
I understand now, it passed through the autocorrector because of the French spelling...

lord45

I doubt that the existence of life on Venus is possible. This planet has a really harsh environment. Hot temperature and high pressure. However, there is a chance that to find some forms of life on the red planet.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a lot depends on how you think life should be defined

lord45

Microbial forms of life can be found in the surface of Mars or in the ice of the frozen lake. Probably the Perseverance mission or Rosalind Franklin Mars rover which is about to be launched soon in 2022 and will attempt to search for life on Mars. More information about this mission you may find on the website of uk space industry news

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Microbial forms of life have not been found in the surface of Mars

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My sentiments. I believe we're in for some surprises about that, now that we seem poised to explore our cosmos.

lord45

Microbial forms of life have not been found in the surface of Mars
The exploration of Mars is not finished yet. We need more advanced technology for the exploration of the red planet. Probably in some time when we some new stuff is invented we can find something.

lord45

My sentiments. I believe we're in for some surprises about that, now that we seem poised to explore our cosmos.
We are sort of obsessed with the exploration of space. But we to understand that space is the future. So the exploration of space is might the thing we must be obsessed with. However, I support space exploration only when it suggests some reasonable projects, not like one project by NASA the main purpose of which is to colonize Venus with some floating platforms.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No way this thread went on for 5 pages without anyone posing the debunking video of Thunderf00t?

And:

lord45

If they wait around long enough, they may find some Chinese astronauts. :)
Chinese Mars mission Zhurong performed well too and has its own achievements. But still, they cannot be compared with the achievements of Perseverance rover mission

Top Bottom