• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Potential for life in Venus detected

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My speaker cables have 3% phosphine injected into the jacket for more life like performance. Now I know why they sound so realistic.
Go easy on that phosphine thing. FYI, LC50 = lethal concentration, 50%. Which means 50% of the test subjects lived, 50% didn't make it, at the exposure time and level.

ph3.JPG

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Don't forget HiFi systems!

Noooo, it's like asking for war right away. Wait until further development, then you can introduce tubes, DACs, measurements, ultra high end interconnects, cables, room treatments, low rumbles, big screem TVs (16K), MicroLed plasma, ...all that entertainment.

ta240

Major Contributor
There is a 2020 sucks and Final Countdown joke in here somewhere.

This one is from Ikea though; you'll have to assemble it yourself.

OP
Nemo

Nemo

Forum Donor
OP
Nemo

Nemo

Forum Donor
This is a clear review on what we know and what represents: Venus may hold the answers about life we’ve been looking for

The detection of sufficient quantities of phosphine in Venus’s atmosphere would be an intriguing pointer to the possibility of life in the sulfuric-acid clouds of our sister planet, but many questions would remain. Is it possible that planetary chemists have overlooked ways to produce phosphine on Venus in the absence of life? And if phosphine is produced by biology, where did that life originate? It is one thing to imagine life adapting to and hanging out opportunistically in the clouds of Venus. It is quite another to imagine that life could have originated there, sandwiched between the hell of the surface and the frozen realms of the thin upper atmosphere.

The article isn't long, and is an excelent science piece where possibilities are discussed. We will have to wait to get answers

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Is it possible that planetary chemists have overlooked ways to produce phosphine on Venus in the absence of life?

Or reporters have. And of course, never asked the right people the right questions about a science story.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The last cited article was written by a scientist, not a reporter

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The last cited article was written by a scientist, not a reporter

"We need grant money." It's a familiar tune.

But there's been a ton of news articles about this and I have yet to see a good one.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Earth socially distancing from Venus will be an effective strategy for this :p
I remember in 1950s Sci Fi film "The Queen of Outer Space" Steve Forrest led an expedition to Venus b/c it was shooting phosphine ray laser beams at Earth knocking out all our satellites and space ships. When he got there he married Zsa Zsa Gabor on a planet of gorgeous Amazons' wearing short skirts who kept asking "What is this kissing thing you want to do?" Everybody wound up having a happy ending.

Time to go there don't you think?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"We need grant money." It's a familiar tune.

But there's been a ton of news articles about this and I have yet to see a good one.

I fail to see how that relates to this article. Do you have any specific criticisms of this article?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I fail to see how that relates to this article. Do you have any specific criticisms of this article?
Yes. It focuses on the least likely hypothesis because it’s sexier than plain old inorganic chemistry.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. It focuses on the least likely hypothesis because it’s sexier than plain old inorganic chemistry.

Yeah, extraordinary blah blah... we all know the quote.

That being said, the paper hasn't been rushed, the live presentation was very balanced, phosphine was considered as a biomarker before (which is why it triggered the proposal) and a credible attempt was made to review all the known/potential pathways.

That being said, old inorganic chemistry in unusual physical conditions will probably give us the answer at some point I guess.

I am severly biased, I confess. I want that question of life elsewhere to be answered conclusively before I die. But I'd prefer being nuked by pretty sexy Cylons to to dying of some kind Andromeda Strain induced disease.

mansr

Major Contributor
The actual paper is much more nuanced than the pop-sci and general news reporting:
If no known chemical process can explain PH3 within the upper atmosphere of Venus, then it must be produced by a process not previously considered plausible for Venusian conditions. This could be unknown photochemistry or geochemistry, or possibly life. Information is lacking—as an example, the photochemistry of Venusian cloud droplets is almost completely unknown. Hence a possible droplet-phase photochemical source for PH3 must be considered (even though PH3 is oxidized by sulfuric acid). Questions of why hypothetical organisms on Venus might make PH3 are also highly speculative (see ‘PH3 and hypotheses on Venusian life’ in Methods and Supplementary Information).

Reactions: SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The actual paper is much more nuanced than the pop-sci and general news reporting:
Exactly. Science reporting is almost universally awful. Reporters are ignorant and motivated to stress the sexy aspects, and academic scientists have to promote the headline-grabbing stuff to help keep grants flowing.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

No one has been able to figure out how plain old inorganic chemistry would produce this gas on Venus.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is unclear why you attempt to be coy in regards to this finding. Venus has an atmosphere that is quite different from the ones on Jupiter, et al. and there is no known mechanism other than life that can produce this result. if you merely want to say it is unproven, then fine.

Top Bottom