• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Potential Chromecast Audio replacement, with optical output...

Willem

Major Contributor
This does indeed seem to be a good alternative for the original CCA. It also has some additional functionality such as Bluetooth, Spotify Connect and an optical input as wel as the optical output. These additional features are not important to me, so for me the real drawback would be the price: I only see them at $199 or thereabouts. But at least there is an alternative for those who failed to hoard a spare CCA in time. Are there any measurements to compare its performance, particularly on the digital output?

OP
BillG

BillG

Major Contributor
This does indeed seem to be a good alternative for the original CCA. It also has some additional functionality such as Bluetooth, Spotify Connect and an optical input as wel as the optical output. These additional features are not important to me, so for me the real drawback would be the price: I only see them at $199 or thereabouts. But at least there is an alternative for those who failed to hoard a spare CCA in time. Are there any measurements to compare its performance, particularly on the digital output?

They can be had on Amazon for $100USD: https://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardo...SZw5YeEo0j7xI5nn-P0yxslgFwvWybY95YrxB2XlQRuDs

As for performance measurements, I'm not aware of any.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own some Harman CCA Built in Speakers (the Omni 20+available very cheap on NeweggFlash) which I believe use the same software. It works well, but a possible warning:

They are not CCA clones (for example, my speakers, and I assume this adapter, has no tone control options, and is missing all of the audio tweak options built into the Google Home App for CCA). The Harmon uses its own Harmon Control app for set up...but does show up as a CCA device when you cast. Google CCAs are still available on eBay for $50 or so new.

Last edited:

iann

No Chromecast on the Wiim.

I'd looked at the Primare NP5 but it's nearly £400 so not a cheap alternative. There are some Android TV boxes that have an optical out but I'll stick with the CCA at the moment I think.

Top Bottom