• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Post your own meme

OP
pavuol

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
6h271p.jpg

inspiration :):
[ebay]
a0bd3bc1-b811-40ec-a3e3-ba6c68959854.jpg

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Mematic_20220625_205510(1).jpg

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Screenshot 2022-07-28 2028381.png

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

Tks

Major Contributor
Why do that when the DAC has USB.
Your USB bus could be noisy, or glitchy (or the DAC's input could be). Optical can also break a ground loop and is basically immune to radio interference over the length of the wire. Optical also doesn't require much of any sort of driver fiddling, most of it's "driver" usage has been built into an OS's functional handling of audio it's mostly plug n play.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Optical can also break a ground loop and is basically immune to radio interference over the length of the wire.
They make USB groundloop isolators. The likelihood of hearing is very very low to non exist. There is also the fact that the optical output could have worse performance then the USB connection (Due to clock and jitter)

Optical also doesn't require much of any sort of driver fiddling, most of it's "driver" usage has been built into an OS's functional handling of audio it's mostly plug n play.
Its plug n play due to Microsofts detection of installed devices. Its not built in the OS.

Tks

Major Contributor
They make USB groundloop isolators. The likelihood of hearing is very very low to non exist. There is also the fact that the optical output could have worse performance then the USB connection (Due to clock and jitter)

Its plug n play due to Microsofts detection of installed devices. Its not built in the OS.
Yeah, not sure why I'd ever buy those "groudloop isolators" that may not even work, but more importantly, waste my time with another thing to plug in when I can just use reliable old Toslink? (Which is what I do btw on my RME DAC, WASAPI over Toslink also behaves differently than ASIO drivers over USB, to where each sample-rate is handled like a separate device, I can go into detail why this is annoying if you want) Clock/jitter concerns are so rare, in the same respect of rare USB issues, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to tell me this, you asked why use Optical, I explained the potential benefits like immune to interference along the transmission line, do you want a tit for tat comparison where I go down the list of pro's and con's for both since it seems like you want to cover the USB side of things that no one solicited?

As for plug n play due to MS's detection of installed devices, and "not natively built into the OS".. the distinction is pertinent to the discussion how exactly? What I meant was that functionality (of detection and then loading up certain default drivers) was a part of the OS's functionality.

I'm not sure what it is you want at this point. Are you trying to transition the conversation into something else besides your initial questions of what OP was referring to, and what precisely is it you wish further from me?

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Yeah, not sure why I'd ever buy those "groudloop isolators" that may not even work, but more importantly, waste my time with another thing to plug in when I can just use reliable old Toslink? (Which is what I do btw on my RME DAC, WASAPI over Toslink also behaves differently than ASIO drivers over USB, to where each sample-rate is handled like a separate device, I can go into detail why this is annoying if you want) Clock/jitter concerns are so rare, in the same respect of rare USB issues, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to tell me this, you asked why use Optical, I explained the potential benefits like immune to interference along the transmission line, do you want a tit for tat comparison where I go down the list of pro's and con's for both since it seems like you want to cover the USB side of things that no one solicited?

As for plug n play due to MS's detection of installed devices, and "not natively built into the OS".. the distinction is pertinent to the discussion how exactly? What I meant was that functionality (of detection and then loading up certain default drivers) was a part of the OS's functionality.

I'm not sure what it is you want at this point. Are you trying to transition the conversation into something else besides your initial questions of what OP was referring to, and what precisely is it you wish further from me?
Look I'm right on some points and your right on some points, I want to end this debate. This is a memes channel after all.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Pulled out my old 40GB PS3? Hard Drive from my tub and it produced these results.
2008.png

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
BreakingNews.png

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
huhcover.jpg

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Mematic_20220928_222238_(1).jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor