• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Post your most gorgeous vintage (looking) speakers designs!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL Paragon, as seen at the Yongsan Electronics Market.

IMG-20181120-124256.jpg
The only CD player I see is a Studer 930.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only CD player I see is a Studer 930.
My eyes were drawn to the idler drive devices, vu meters and wood encases 70’s amplifiers. Old habits die hard.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The two EMT 930s, one sadly without arm, attracted my attention. Those and all the Tannoys.

S

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My eyes were drawn to the idler drive devices, vu meters and wood encases 70’s amplifiers. Old habits die hard.
It was just that I had bought a Studer 930 in the early days and sold it before it became a cult item :)
I wish I had kept it.
TBH the turntables etc were a given in such a room so I didn't take much notice!

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am very fond of the pair of ads L-710

My pair are a little scratched up, but, since they were dump finds, it's hard to complain. :)

Pulled from a dump, as in for free?
Welcome to the clan MacFrugal.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What dump might that be? Used ADS loudspeakers seem to fetch a lot...

I am also curious about the relationship between ADS and Braun. I've seen the Atelier electronics in both ADS and Braun branding.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am also curious about the relationship between ADS and Braun. I've seen the Atelier electronics in both ADS and Braun branding.
Here is an electronic translation from http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-84-24722.html#6

If I remember correctly, Braun was taken over by Gilette in December 1967, which was mainly interested in the electric razor business.

An acquaintance of mine, who was a distributor for Electro Voice in the seventies, told me that he sometimes received his pay slips from Braun in Kronach.
Guess where he thought some of the Braun chassis came from.
Surprising because, as far as I know, Electro Voice was not part of Gilette, but had been part of Gulton Industries through Telex Communications, now part of Bosch like EV, and its then owner Mark IV.

Now, the American owners were not particularly convinced that there was money to be made in hi-fi. In fact, the Braun division had been making losses since the end of the sixties.
Among other things, this led to the production of tape recorders being outsourced to Uher and finally discontinued. This led to the founding of ASC in collaboration with Authenriet and Braun employees.

That the rest of Braun HiFi remained is probably due to Mr. Godehard Günther (self-portrayal at http://www.hifimuseum.de/1981-studio-nachrichten.htm ), who had distributed Braun equipment in the USA with his company "Analog & Digital Systems Incorporation" (ADS). ADS built its own loudspeakers there and also car hi-fi.
Günther is said to have guaranteed a minimum turnover, so to speak, and thus ensured that Braun HiFi continued to exist.

Nevertheless, losses were made. After the sale of the photo division to Bauer (Bosch), Braun Elektronic GmbH was spun off from Braun AG in 1981. Dr. Godehard Günther became managing partner.
Since the trademark rights to "Braun" had only been licensed to a limited extent, A/D/S had already used its own brand in some markets at the beginning. When the licence agreement for the use of the "Braun" brand expired, Braun Elektronic GmbH was renamed "a/d/s/ Analog und Digital Systeme GmbH".
In 1989, Godehard Günther sold a/d/s to Gilette and the company ceased to exist. In 1990, Gilette decided to discontinue Braun consumer electronics.

see also
http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-13500950.html

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Pulled from a dump, as in for free?
Welcome to the clan MacFrugal.
Yes.
In New England, the "[Yankee] Swap Pile" (aka "Take it or Leave it" pile) is a deeply-ingrained tradition in myriad small towns.
Technically, in our long-time home town (Harvard, MA) the facility was not a true dump (landfill) but rather a "transfer station" -- the net result is the same. :)

swappile1 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
(legacy photo of the Harvard swap pile on a gorgeous early summer day some some years back)

The town dumps up here tend to be the center of social and (especially) of political life, especially in the smaller towns.
The town where we now live in NH does not have a transfer station :(
Fortunately, our daughter & son-in-law's town (1/2 hour away) has one -- and, most summers (although not last year) have a pretty active swap pile, too -- to my wife's consternation ;)
(actually, I don't get to visit their transfer station very often -- but I do enjoy my visits there when the opportunity presents itself)

LearningToSmile

Elipson today, not so special, though using same spherical design, but looks alike UK neighbours ...

View attachment 124631
I visited their website and they're also making a neat retro 3-way with a 12" woofer with a familiar design:
68127f_aa9b0c74ec964ab997fbadaac5870fe7~mv2.jpg

While not the cheapest retro-styled speaker around(that probably goes to Magnat's offerings) at 2000 euro a pair it's not that expensive, curious how it stacks up against the JBL offerings.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I visited their website and they're also making a neat retro 3-way with a 12" woofer with a familiar design:
View attachment 124794
While not the cheapest retro-styled speaker around(that probably goes to Magnat's offerings) at 2000 euro a pair it's not that expensive, curious how it stacks up against the JBL offerings.
I did like that JBL 3 way look with White pulp 12" woofers in the seventies.
I had similar speakers, but not JBL regretfully. I can't remember the brand (from west coast) with brown dice type foam grills (that were getting rapidly deteriorated :mad:)

MarkS

Major Contributor
In those days they had enough sense to put heavy speakers on casters instead of spikes(!).

Rotiv

My first big speakers, i know... they are beautiful

Attachments

• cae0dff4eb600276ad223002094d9933.jpg
    cae0dff4eb600276ad223002094d9933.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 138
Top Bottom