• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Post your most gorgeous vintage (looking) speakers designs!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for fun, but also for some inspiration ;) I'd love to hear what you people think are must-see vintage speaker designs? They can also be new speakers that just have vintage look. The focus should be on looks here, so no worries if they sound horrible :eek: Tell us why you like it, but also what could be improved.

Obviously, I have an ulterior motive here ;). I'm looking to finally build a new pair of speakers this year, and since we really like '50s to '70s eara vintage stuff, it would make sense to build something with a bit of a vintage look to it. So some inspiration would be great. I don't need to like what you post of course. Somebody else might though :cool:

Let me kick off with four:

The first one is actually a current design from Fern & Roby called The Ravens
Raven-001_181224_172242.jpg
I quite like the boxy look and slanted design. The feed would perfectly fit two vintage seats my dad refurbished for me. Not so good: too much black area for my taste, would be better to see a vintage speaker cloth.

Next up a vintage Grundig radio:
20170514_184238.jpg
Again boxy look. I like the angled surfaces, though probably not ideal for a good off-axis response.

The last one is a classic:
1142.jpg
Quad ESL. Now I would not want al electrostatic speaker, but these definitely have a special and iconic look to them.

And another Classic:
a275a80cf4b75df2c1924a9e825c0c3e.jpg
This one is even still available as new in a modern incarnation. I was almost going to build something inspired by this, but in the end decided it would be a bit too big, and it would really need a subwoofer to add to that backloaded horn to really make it shine.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love these pioneer exclusives.

Attachments

• 2D19FE2F-8B93-4B39-86DC-93106B891BA5.jpeg
    2D19FE2F-8B93-4B39-86DC-93106B891BA5.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 285

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, the Lockwood Major is the first 'proper' loudspeaker I worked with.

Lockwood Major.jpg

But my current main 'speakers are vintage in themselves, and have a certain style.

DSCN2447.JPG

I currently use them with the hoods in place, for no better reason than I think they look better that way, and anyway, I'd have to store the hoods somewhere.

S.

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another one that I quite like and it still (or again) being sold:
20190503161615_Review_JBL_L100_Classic_5.jpg
JBL L100 Classic. I'd love the Raven form factor and feet combined with these grilles. Actually found a company that can make those to order. Pretty cool stuff!

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
The Realistic Minimus 7. A True Small Classic!
realistic_minimus_7_loudspeakers.jpg

One of Realistic best sounding speakers. I have 4 pairs of them, there that good and cheap.
minimus7-1977.jpg

Top Bottom