• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Post pictures of anything, with comment...couple words.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
52881250582_43bcf1b595_b.jpg
[/URL]
First Oriole of the season, hon*.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
In full disclosure, ruby-throated hummingbirds showed up here for the first time this year yesterday, and we saw our first rose-breasted grosbeak today minutes after the oriole. No pictures, yet, of those two species from this year, though. :rolleyes:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Peterson's, Audubon, Field Guides, Field Checklists, Portraits, Local Species fold-outs.
Got bunches and bunches. Then, I finally nailed it down that our desert-oasis has but 6 or 7 local bird species.
[With the exception of dumbgeons (=pigeons)and rats-with-wings (=seagulls) dark-power (=crows)]
But then, I ran into this white pelican in the marshlands and not one of my reference material seemed to be correct about the white ones.
202304_PelicanWhite.jpg

Some local plovers and a long-billed dowitcher but a white elephant pelican is a rare sighting (.. that comes with some bad citations).
Maybe it was an albino pelican!:facepalm:

MAB

Major Contributor
One of the largest Halibut ever caught:
1683586197335.jpeg

Harvested near Kodiak Island in 1986. 11 feet long, almost 600 pounds dressed, $2.25 per pound. Took 20 mins for three of us to gaff it over the rail, even after I shot it in the head.
Here are the normal-sized brothers and sisters from the same day:
1683586578952.jpeg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the largest Halibut ever caught:
View attachment 284279
Harvested near Kodiak Island in 1986. 11 feet long, almost 600 pounds dressed, $2.25 per pound. Took 20 mins for three of us to gaff it over the rail, even after I shot it in the head.
Here are the normal-sized brothers and sisters from the same day:
View attachment 284280
What firearm did you dispatch it with?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Smith & Wesson Model 29 (.44 magnum). You can see the hole in the head, but it kept fighting, so not exactly dispatched!!! Prehistoric.
Very nice! That's a big exit wound. I saw British Columbia halibut fishermen on TV and they never showed them shooting the head but they killed it with a long gun. 11 feet long... Serious stuff, that thing could kill a person easily when flopping around. :D I was ~99.999% mostly a fresh water fisherman and so the size and weight was substantially less but the reward is tasty feisty trout varieties in quantity and different sizes up to ~7 pounds. I never did the down rigger going for the big lunkers for weeks on end stuff because there was so much more available for fishing by shallow trolling, eddy fishing, mountain lakes and creek fishing. I fished mountain lakes that resulted in several fish following the lure in with each cast and catching one in about maybe 5 of 7 casts with a very small Mepps lure. I tied my own fishing flies for 12 years including bucktails, streamers and made my own spoons for walleye fishing too. Walley fishing gets expensive in the rocky Columbia River due to loss of lures and so I made them. I scuba'd down into the Columbia River just downstream from a hydroelectric dam where we caught lots of walleye and retrieved many lures there but it was too dangerous and I was almost swept away so we all decided to avoid doing that again. LoL. :D Good times!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I scuba'd down into the Columbia River just downstream from a hydroelectric dam where we caught lots of walleye and retrieved many lures there but it was too dangerous and I was almost swept away so we all decided to avoid doing that again. LoL. :D Good times!
We used to scuba dive cold quarries and when finished we'd throw in some (ballasted) M80s and wait for the fish to float to the surface. Yum.

<< Self proclaimed "salmon-snob"!
I got nothing against the Maine
202305_MaineLobster.jpg

But I'll take the Norwegian King
202305_NorwegianKingSalmon.jpg

anyday... you can even keep the plate.;)

MAB

Major Contributor
Very nice! That's a big exit wound. I saw British Columbia halibut fishermen on TV and they never showed them shooting the head but they killed it with a long gun. 11 feet long... Serious stuff, that thing could kill a person easily when flopping around. :D
Even the small ones are dangerous, lots of stories about landing a halibut and it beating through the bottom of the boat, etc. Sport fishing is actually harder since the fish is just on the hook, commercial like this they have been on the bottom for better part of a day so they are more docile. Shooting this one really didn't help, it curled up like a potato-chip and we still had a tough time getting it over the rail. Plus, I am not into close-range gunplay.

I caught this smaller one jigging just a few minutes out of town, it beat the crap out of me.
1683598974254.jpeg

Or a nice little one that gleams like a jewel:
1683599198536.jpeg

But mostly we fished salmon:
1683599109207.jpeg

And more salmon:
1683599346810.jpeg

100,000 pounds of salmon:
1683599673449.jpeg

You just have to know where they live:
1683599730391.jpeg

I was ~99.999% mostly a fresh water fisherman and so the size and weight was substantially less but the reward is tasty feisty trout varieties in quantity and different sizes up to ~7 pounds.
My mouth is watering.:p
I never did the down rigger going for the big lunkers for weeks on end stuff because there was so much more available for fishing by shallow trolling, eddy fishing, mountain lakes and creek fishing. I fished mountain lakes that resulted in several fish following the lure in with each cast and catching one in about maybe 5 of 7 casts with a very small Mepps lure. I tied my own fishing flies for 12 years including bucktails, streamers and made my own spoons for walleye fishing too. Walley fishing gets expensive in the rocky Columbia River due to loss of lures and so I made them. I scuba'd down into the Columbia River just downstream from a hydroelectric dam where we caught lots of walleye and retrieved many lures there but it was too dangerous and I was almost swept away so we all decided to avoid doing that again. LoL. :D Good times!
Mostly salt water for me. It's all an art form, involving so much experience and patience. Perhaps fly fishing is the pinnacle, but who knows? You make me want to go and re-watch A River Runs Through It! And respect for the water! Glad you didn't get pulled under, I would have missed your posts and positivity!!!

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The St. Mihiel American Cemetery in "Colleville-sur-Mer" (North of France).
It was built by a US Company and belongs to the USA forever... 1 million visitors a year at least...
There aren't words to describe the American Cemetery at Normandy. It's a humbling place that is the final resting place for some of the best men that the U.S. has ever produced.
The Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial is a World War II cemetery and memorial in Colleville-sur-Mer, Normandy, France, that honors American troops who died in Europe during World War II. It is located on the site of the former temporary battlefield cemetery of Saint Laurent, covers 172.5 acres and contains 9,388 burials.

I've been there.

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Repairing a crack on a fake Stradivari, after watching some YouTube videos!
My first attempt (and last).
Reassembly was the hardest part.
When done, looked better, and sounded much much better.
My friend ultimately sold it for over £20K a few years later, didn't even buy me a big Mac! :(

510.jpg

508.jpg

562.jpg

20130729_133029.jpg

Last edited:

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's actually in Nantes, the passage pommeraye shopping mail
Thanks I've been in Nantes and Lille last year... I've made a mistake... I'm going back to Nantes before the end of this month.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the big idea?!
On a Samsung Note 3.

Hey! - you silly billys.jpg

Paris, near Louvre.

Street vendor Paris

street vendor - Paris.jpg

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Repairing a crack on a fake Stradivari, after watching some YouTube videos!...
...My friend ultimately sold it for over £20K a few years later, didn't even buy me a big Mac! :( ...
Right below your last photo: There is this clicky:
202305_Report.jpg

If you are the vindictive-type ('not even getting a bigMac'...), you can always ""Report" him to authorities... for sale of forgeries.:facepalm:

Top Bottom