• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Post pictures of anything, with comment...couple words.

Poultrygeist

Long before I started building speakers I was building balsa wood model airplanes.

McCravy - Still 132.jpeg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JaccoW

Awesome price for what i consider a very high value amp at regular prices.

Also great restauration work. Sadly the knobs didn't take the cleaning that well. Any plans to maybe spray paint them silver once more?
View attachment 264490
I'm surprised the writing didn't come off.
How is the rest of the enclosure?

What is the box between the Scarlet and the Topping?

Again, great bargain for 50€ and good job at fixing it. :cool:
Unfortunately not. I just contacted Yamaha today to see if they still sell them separately. Fingers crossed.

I used a regular biodegradeable eco paint cleaner. Just brush it on, wait 10 minutes and reapply when needed. I could check the active ingredients on the bottle for you if you want? The aluminum facade was easy. Just kind of push a soaked brush on there after 10 minutes and it will just slide off.

As far as I can tell the writing is laser etched and then probably either anodized as well or dye subbed. Not that easy to remove. I took a shot at the enclosure today. It seems like I can take off the paint without damaging the original the same way. Just a bit more work.

The little box is a GMKtec Nucbox 5, essentially a tiny $200 Windows 11 mini pc. Fast enough for most things and it doesn't take much energy (10-15W max). I installed a 512GB SSD in there and use it for music playback, Youtube and other streaming. There is a slightly newer version in the form of the NucBox 7s but if I would buy one of these low-powered machines again I would probably get a Beelink U59 because it is slightly larger but uses much more standard parts.
But if you want to dive into that world, check out this thread. ;)

JaccoW what did you use to strip the paint? I am always restoring things and also surprised the lettering stay on.
Check out my answer above.

The hunt for a cheap pair of speakers to try it goes on. I thought about picking up a pair of vintage 1981 JVC S-88 3-ways but when I came there it sounded a bit boomy and the veneer on top of one of them was quite damaged. So I passed on that one.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
So -- it's that time of year when Flickr tells us our stats from the previous year. Whoo-hoo!
According to Flickr, this was my most viewed photo... so I thought I'd try to catalyze a few more views. ;)

3125b

Major Contributor
Who says you can't use floorstanders as desktop speakers?

IMG_0920.jpg

The overall setup needs some work, but I'm not unhappy with the results so far.
KEF should sell matching stands of varying height for their floorstanders, my improvised ones here are just screwed into the threaded inserts they have for the feet, works great. And maybe add some inserts to the bookshelf speakers, it's a good way of having those a little better secured as well.

Norv

View attachment 30594

This is how the bed frames we buy at Walmart are made ...
Jinta County, China
maybe similar living conditions for the fabricator but they're mass produced, this is a small business and probably quite boutique for the area, I've been a metalworker in the UK and worked in worse conditions

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you remember Cdt Jacques Yves Cousteau and his boat "La Calypso" ? He died on June 25, 1997.

th-336275188.jpeg
IMG_2792.JPG-e1499709605487-493070119.jpeg

th-108235969.jpeg

Calypso.jpeg

2 pictures of the boat taken in " LA ROCHELLE", a beautiful town by the Atlantic Ocean, France.

Last edited:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
The Roman hunting baths in Leptis Magna Libya, the only one left in the World. When Septimus Severus died in York Leptis Magna lost its importance. The hunting baths fell out of use and were covered with sand. They stayed that way until well into the 20th century.
BD81CB60-C9CB-446F-86A7-E00B0115C5FB.jpeg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I do a weekly email and blog update for our church on Friday mornings.
Yesterday, I had a little too much technology goin' for my own (somewhat Luddite) taste.

That's my urban warrior Lenovo T430, BTW -- the one I take with me to Boston when I teach.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

3125b

Major Contributor
Let's play a crappy version of Geoguessr. For experienced players of said game this might not be too hard, for anyone else though ...
This is basically looking around a 30m stretch of street in three photos, license plates are censored. The country should be possible to guess, but I'd be amazed if anyone gets the city.
IMG_0873.jpg
IMG_0875.jpg
IMG_0872.jpg

Top Bottom