• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Post pictures of anything, with comment...couple words.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
888px-Dryocopus_pileatus_map.svg.png

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Pileated
I think I've posted photos of these before. :cool:

female, on sumac

two pileateds :)

bad photo of a cool sight: a pileated (looks to be a female, too) on the wing.

We do get males ;) but for some reason I've gotten few if any photos of 'em. :confused:
That lower 'stripe' on the face of males is red; black on females -- as shown in the Audubon(?) litho posted by @Doodski above. :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pileated
I think I've posted photos of these before. :cool:

female, on sumac

two pileateds :)

bad photo of a cool sight: a pileated (looks to be a female, too) on the wing.

We do get males ;) but for some reason I've gotten few if any photos of 'em. :confused:
That lower 'stripe' on the face of males is red; black on females -- as shown in the Audubon(?) litho posted by @Doodski above. :)
They certainly are a very cool bird to be together with. The rough bark shredding feet and the raw muscle makes for a experience.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
My gaming pc built from mostly spare parts along with some things I needed to test from vine.20220712_040945_HDR.jpg

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need a new frying pan.
C23096B5-C9E0-4CD1-8226-1AAE736885B1.jpeg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Anjuna beach market, Goa

91592323_14f2fa33db_o.jpg

Lila, Our beach dog we kinda adopted when we rented a bungalow for 6 months in Anjuna, Goa - when we left the country we made sure she had a good home with folk that genuinely wanted her, Samar from a beach bar/restaurant called “San Francisco” - she had a good life and her own specially built seat at the bar.

187608314_6b4b924a9c_o.jpg

Katji

Major Contributor
Lila, Our beach dog we kinda adopted when we rented a bungalow for 6 months in Anjuna, Goa - when we left the country we made sure she had a good home with folk that genuinely wanted her, Samar from a beach bar/restaurant called “San Francisco” - she had a good life and her own specially built seat at the bar.
wow, That was a good move, 6 months in Goa. She looks like a very intelligent dog.

I really need a holiday...maybe some less busy place in Goa or Maharashtra. On the other hand, Thailand, don't need a visa. But it's been a long time, my list is long, but so many times I've just skipped the other ideas and gone to India. Like a sucker for punishment but, for quite a while I've been thinking that I should pre-book everything and go straight from the airport to some resort place, no getting sidetracked.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I really need a holiday...maybe some less busy place in Goa or Maharashtra.

Anjuna was our base/retreat, as I bought an Enfield we used that for touring all around and covered near enough 10,000 miles all over.

We had no plans or anywhere booked beforehand, flew into Mumbai and spent 3 days getting acclimatised (mostly passing out due to heat) then jumped on a train to Delhi for the massive motorcycle market, found a bike and got it serviced/equipped how we wanted then took 7 days to ride down to Goa (wild journey o_O, could’ve flew there in 3 hours for £40) where we found a ramshackle bungalow purely by chance as we stopped by the roadside for a chilled coke and got talking to the owner, he had a two room bungalow (more of a shed but very secure inside large family garden and all we needed) so we viewed it and settled on a stupidly cheap price for 5 months. Possibly the best trip ever.

Katji

Major Contributor
This time I just want to take it easy. I suppose flights from here still the same schedule. arrive at 1am. So, have hotel prebooked, sleep, rest for a couple days and then take a car to somewhere on Konkan coast.

I spent some time today going through old photos, and improving them a bit with FastStone. Old HTC phone cam. 12 and 14 years ago.

Katji

Major Contributor
Terrible photo, but I had to be quick, clandestine photo.
At the Johannesburg airport, arrived from Mumbai. Narcotics unit dog, it wanted these 2 women's luggage to be opened. They were very pissed off. Mandrax was the thing then. (2008.)

1659651903356.png

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
At the airport, arrived from Mumbai. Narcotics unit dog, it wanted these 2 women's luggage to be opened.

Sweaty bum moment for sure :D, and not because of the heat n’ humidity.

Saw so many idiots get pulled for the tourist tax of 1000 to 5000 rupees depending on what drugs they were caught with by the local drug police who used to patrol the beaches by day and bars at night, either pay up or have a very uncomfortable few days being held until you can resolve it. There’s a time and place for it but so many folk just took the utter piss in the bars/restaurants and ultimately abused the friendliness and chilled nature of the residents so they deserved it imho. You don’t act like that at home so don’t act like that in someone else’s home.

Dunno how true it was but there was an oft quoted rumour that it was very expensive to “buy” your way into a position on the “drug police force” as you could make so much money on the side shaking down idiot tourists. Needless to say we were always very respectful in all the restaurants and bars, always tipped well (I’m poor by western standards) and thanked them, we knew everyone by name so I’d like to think our actions off set the idiots behaviour but at the end of the day we were all “rich tourists“ merely passing through.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
I'd better not say too much but I heard about some..."issues" with northern tourists. Arrogant behaviour to the local staff like that.

....The photos I was looking through today, this Welsh guy I met in Rajasthan, he had stayed in Goa for 6 months or so - or more, with a gf, until he was supposed to get married, so one night he disappeared. :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

I like tractors.
All of them.
Big, small, old, new.
All my neighbors have tractors.
No, really.
All of them.
I am envious.

Katji

Major Contributor
Small town in Rajasthan, a quiet place, hardly any cars.
This chai wala....suich a nice guy...they often are. The place I stayed at, great food, but the coffee was horrible. I don't work without coffee, don't like to speak in the morning, so every morning I got up, bathed, and walked down the road to this guy. From the first day I was there, I just sat down, he made coffee, no words, when I finished, he had the next one ready, no speak.

1659663232497.png

Katji

Major Contributor
I like tractors.
All of them.
Big, small, old, new.
All my neighbors have tractors.
No, really.
All of them.
I am envious.
:) When I was 3-4 years old, my two friends Power and Bobby had a tractor.

I tried to upload a little video of one earlier, but it wasn't possible, but now I think I can do it by putting it in a .zip file.
There are many tractors in India...it kind of revolutionised India. They take villagers to town, the local transport, carts pulled by tractors.

Katji

Major Contributor
Water tanker tractor...
...no, 37 MB too big. damn. I can't think of anything other than registering at dropbox or going through the youtube process.

Top Bottom