• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Post info & Pics of your Five Channel Systems

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure there are more people here than Kal with these HiFi setups...

(note please exclude lower end 5 chan for video "support" - you get define lower end)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Let us work backward from the speakers. I have a pair of Revel F12 floorstanders for right and left front. I have JBL LSR 308 mkII speakers for the center and two surround channels. The JBL's are powered, the Revels are powered by a Wyred4Sound ST500 Icepower amp. I'm adding 3 Rythmik subs to it currently (already had one sub). The whole thing is controlled by a Marantz 7701 pre/pro. This is part of a video system though I do listen to MCH recordings as well. 110 inch projector screen with a BenQ projector. Room is 19 1/2 ft wide by 33 2/3 ft long with 10 ft ceilings. Most seating is near the middle of the room.

So you might call it low end 5 channel supporting video. Video is at least 80 percent of its use. It can do music pretty well in surround or even stereo. Large rooms always help sound quality even in stereo in my experience.

My serious stereo systems have most of my life used electrostatic speakers. Currently a pair of Soundlabs. I knew someone with a full MCH Soundlab system at one time.

Is this the sort of thing you wanted? I think all the gear in my system would be considered the lower end of good gear. Some might not even give it that much credit. But even with my lower end gear the cost of all this adds up. As does the space it requires. So it isn't surprising that so few people have more than a soundbar for video sound. I don't know of anyone who listens to music exclusively with a soundbar. So maybe my rig is too video-oriented for your purposes in this thread.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom