• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Post-Covid System Changes?

wgb113

Anyone else eyeing some system changes over the rest of the year as your makeshift home-office(s) get turned back to normal?

The room designated as an "Office" had been my dedicated 2-ch room for many years until last March when we were forced to work from home. The wife took over the dining room, the kids the living room and myself the office. Out went the lounge chair and ottoman, in came some new active speakers with adjustable-height stands to get them to ear level when seated at a desk.

Getting to play music while working's been a treat. Last March when lockdowns began I had a backlog of close to 400 unplayed records which has been cleared up and I've been spinning CDs and using Roon more than ever. As we wait our turn for a vaccine the end of WFH, at least from always WFH, is in sight. I do miss my comfy, relaxing setup I had in this room. The last thing I want to do after sitting at a desk all day is to sit down at it again to simply relax and enjoy some tunes.

So I find myself contemplating some changes for when things do return to normal. Do I add a subwoofer to my current speakers? Do I try a different pair of actives? Do I ditch everything and go back to a traditional passive stereo setup? Still working out those different options but the return to THE office at some point this year will mean a return of my "office" to a listening room and it's one of the many things I'm looking forward to this year.

How about you? Have you had to sacrifice your space, make changes to your system due to COVID? Do you have anything planned when things get to the new normal this year?

Bill

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Covid is still in full effect here, as are the lockdowns, curfews and closures. All this sitting at home sure changed my listening setup. I practically built a whole cinema during lockdown, and am currently upgrading my home office/music room. :D

If things get back to normal, which will probably be another year with the rate things are going here, I'll be focused on going outside and listening to live music again as much as I can. :) I guess I'll be buying proper ear plugs for that, since I don't want to go deaf from the weekly gigs I'll be attending. :D

jannek

Covid lockdown and partial homeoffice have brought me seriously into headphones. Have been busy in car hifi for several years and my actual car is still stock (and extremely sucking from hifi view). Somehow I lost motivation to build something serious because of so little time spent in it at the moment. When this changes again I hope I'll get myself back to this and get back the possibility of about two hours per day of high quality listening with a proper (front) soundstage.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Hermit life FTW!

Yeah, almost.

I have a friend that visits once a month or so, my Audio Buddy, with which, amazingly, I share musical interests.

And I've joined a Club recently.

Spent a couple of days at the airfield hanging with this rather interesting and amusing fellow club member, Dr. Alan Kozikowski.

Midwest Blade

Seriously considering going to an active loudspeaker for the condo system given that I am basically 100% streaming Amazon HD via an Amazon Echo Link. Considering the Genelec Four but not quite ready to dive in, the "one who must be obeyed" is not in for the change...yet.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Covid has seen me get into headphones because people are in all the time and speakers will cause problems. Post covid I'd like to take my exsisting speakers active tri-amp and ditch the old worldy passive filters.

Top Bottom