• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Possibly One Of The Most Profound Documents Of Our Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Mattis Resignation

I put it here for your deep consideration. Not for partisan argument.

No comment would be appreciated.

Feel free to start another thread in Fight Club if you must.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Excessively political, and old news.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I think there was actually very little politics involved - at least in the letter itself. I have nothing but respect for Gen. Mattis. He could have easily "pulled a Brenner" but instead was respectful but resolute in his commitment to his ideals. If we had more like him (and fewer megalomaniacs) the whole world would be a better place. I might disagree with some of his views, but he's very far from a political opportunist.

That being said @Wombat - really?!? You can't be serious... I suppose if I made a post with something along the lines of "Finally a great man stands up for what's right" and linked to an article about Alan Jones... and then said "let's not argue about this"... would you just sit idly by?
Yes I'm exaggerating for a point, and no I don't think Alan Jones is right, reasonable, or a great man (or even a sane man for that matter).

Just pointing out that if you don't want comments... then you don't post it on a forum. :facepalm:

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Their was little politics involved? What? Really? Seriously?
Sadly Fight Club is no more. Mattis( respect his integrity), whatever his political proclevities, is a much more rational person than Alan Jones, a little league shock-jerk(jock). Why did you mention the insignificant thinker, Alan Jones?

I didn't denigrate Mattis. I think you got it wrong.

I posted the article as news and I saw it as profound. Comments were not discouraged, I suggested they be made in Fight Club. Learn to read what is actually said rather distort it through your mindset. Sheeesh. :mad:

Last edited:
OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor

Would you like to discount it more rationally? Don't bother. Fight Club is unfortunately defunct

digicidal

Major Contributor
Sadly Fight Club is no more. Mattis( respect his integrity), whatever his political proclevities, is a much more rational person than Alan Jones, a little league shock-jerk(jock). Why did you mention Alan Jones?

I didn't denigrate Mattis. I think you got it wrong.

...Comments were not discouraged...

Not for partisan argument.
No comment would be appreciated.

LOL! Did you even read my post? But thanks for making my point - almost perfectly I might add. Note this line in particular:
"Yes I'm exaggerating for a point, and no I don't think Alan Jones is right, reasonable, or a great man (or even a sane man for that matter)." I simply picked him because he is a politically charged news item often for your country.

I didn't think for a minute you were denigrating Mattis... I took umbrage at fact that you began your post with a what I read as restriction of discussion on what would clearly be a "partisan argument". Now if you meant something other than what the words in bold clearly indicate (to me at least) - then I appologize for jumping to that conclusion.

Maybe if you would "Learn to read what is actually said rather distort it through your mindset." then you would have seen that I also "have nothing but respect for Gen. Mattis."

SHEEESH. :rolleyes:

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
LOL! Did you even read my post? But thanks for making my point - almost perfectly I might add. Note this line in particular:
"Yes I'm exaggerating for a point, and no I don't think Alan Jones is right, reasonable, or a great man (or even a sane man for that matter)."

I didn't think for a minute you were denigrating him... I took umbrage at fact that you began your post with a what I read as restriction of discussion on what would clearly be a "partisan argument". Now if you meant something other than what the words in bold clearly indicate (to me at least) - then I appologize for jumping to that conclusion.

Maybe if you would "Learn to read what is actually said rather distort it through your mindset." then you would have seen that I also "have nothing but respect for Gen. Mattis."

SHEEESH. :rolleyes:

I did not restrict discussion. I suggested it be placed in a more appropriate forum place.

The OP was placed in the forum news category. By god you are being over-sensitive and controlling of postings.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
I did not restrict discussion. I suggested it be placed in a more appropriate forum place.
The OP was placed in the forum news category. By god you are being over-sensitive and controlling of discussion.

It was news in December when it was all over the news here... it did get quite a bit of coverage (I guess just not internationally). I think you are completely aware of what you are doing and why. As to the last part... :facepalm:

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
It was news in December when it was all over the news here... it did get quite a bit of coverage (I guess just not internationally). I think you are completely aware of what you are doing and why. As to the last part... :facepalm:

You obviously don't like what he said and are offended that I posted it. I bet you are a free speech proponent but maybe not all free speech.

No point in continuing.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Their was little politics involved? What? Really? Seriously?
Saw you added that...

What I meant (and in response to @Ron Texas - who I quoted) was that I didn't feel the letter was written for political reasons - which is why I stated:
I might disagree with some of his views, but he's very far from a political opportunist.

Obviously foreign policy is political by nature... however, unlike many in the long line of cabinet appointees who have resigned over the past 3 years - his was not for political gain but because of his dedication to his core values. At least I haven't heard of book deals or a political office he's running for... maybe I'm wrong on that.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Saw you added that...

What I meant (and in response to @Ron Texas - who I quoted) was that I didn't feel the letter was written for political reasons - which is why I stated:

Obviously foreign policy is political by nature... however, unlike many in the long line of cabinet appointees who have resigned over the past 3 years - his was not for political gain but because of his dedication to his core values. At least I haven't heard of book deals or a political office he's running for... maybe I'm wrong on that.

I never said he did but he was protecting his reputation. Your reaction was due to your mindset, not mine.

Last edited:

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As far as I'm concerned here in the UK it is just another Trump resignation and there's nothing profound about this letter at all.

Global warming is much more fundamental to our well being.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
As far as I'm concerned here in the UK it is just another Trump resignation and there's nothing profound about this letter at all.

Global warming is much more fundamental to our well being.

I disagree on your position on the matter of the Mattis resignation letter. Agree on the global warming statement.

Time well tell.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
So @Wombat : what would you do if you were king for a day/year/decade?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you like to discount it more rationally? Don't bother. Fight Club is unfortunately defunct
Oh, now I am irrational.

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Just wanted to show support for Wombat's original posting. It seems obvious that Mattis views the current president's attitudes toward Russia and China as being in direct opposition to the responsibilities/ideals of both his job and the president's. I am not surprised he resigned, glad he said what he did and would have been happier if he had been more explicit about the unnaceptable behavior that made him resign.

When someone with Mattis's experience speaks, we would all do well to listen.

Of course, this is an audio science website where everyone gets along happily (unless someone mentions MQA or overt audio nonsense!), but one has to use one's voice when present for discussions like this.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
...the current president's attitudes toward Russia and China as being in direct opposition to the responsibilities/ideals of both his job and the president's.
For the uninformed, what is the problem in summary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom