• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Positioning Genelecs 8030c mid field w/ sub

Geertidow

Dear fellow members,

For a few months now I have been enjoying a pair of Genelec 8030c with a custom build sub (powered by a Ghent Audio nCoren 500 w amp).

I use a minidsp flex (balanced) for EQ and DSP and so far it is working well.

The genelecs are free standing in a room of 4 x 5 meter (diagonal ceiling on one side) and de sub crosses at 90 hz with a slow rolloff (6db per oct).

I positioned the sub between the genelecs and the genelecs are approximately 1.5 meters fron my ears.
This was the best sub position based on measurements and listening through the room when placing the sub at listening position.

Since the genelecs are meant for near field listening, should I position the genelecs closer to my ears?

At this distance, I have to boost the genelecs in the 100-200 hz region to obtain a flat crossover. I don't mind switching gear more suitable for mid or far field but I like the genelecs. I just don't want to use equipment in ways that it shouldnt be used.

Thanks for the help :).

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It depends on how loud you listen. I listen to mine around 70 to 80 dB so that is more than fine for my situation.

OP
G

Geertidow

Yeah it seems so, sometimes I wonder if a pair of KEF R3 is more suitable but so far the sound seems great. It just feels weird to place the genelecs closer but I definitely can. Then room is only used for music.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Dear fellow members,

For a few months now I have been enjoying a pair of Genelec 8030c with a custom build sub (powered by a Ghent Audio nCoren 500 w amp).

I use a minidsp flex (balanced) for EQ and DSP and so far it is working well.

The genelecs are free standing in a room of 4 x 5 meter (diagonal ceiling on one side) and de sub crosses at 90 hz with a slow rolloff (6db per oct).

I positioned the sub between the genelecs and the genelecs are approximately 1.5 meters fron my ears.
This was the best sub position based on measurements and listening through the room when placing the sub at listening position.

Since the genelecs are meant for near field listening, should I position the genelecs closer to my ears?

At this distance, I have to boost the genelecs in the 100-200 hz region to obtain a flat crossover. I don't mind switching gear more suitable for mid or far field but I like the genelecs. I just don't want to use equipment in ways that it shouldnt be used.

Thanks for the help :).
A better sound can probably be obtained with a much steeper crossover, like 36 dB or 48 dB/oct. Using a 6 dB crossover for a single subwoofer is not optimal. The HP for the 8030c and LP crossover for the subwoofer must also be correct. The Genelec 8030c is not a normal bass tube loudspeaker, it drops off more sharply below the tuning frequency than a usual passive aligment, so symectrical crossovers ( the same HP as LP ) dont work very well.

The reason you have to boost your Genelec:s at 100-200 Hz in this setup is probably because your sub and 8030c dont play together with the correct phase , because of the use of the 6 dB/oct crossover for the sub. Your Genelec:s can also be wrongly installed in the room.

A loudspeaker that measures very well with Amirms Klippel system, is suitable to listen to at longer distances as long you can play as loud as you want. Your 8030c must have proper loudspeakerstands , 60-70 cm high.

Last edited:
Top Bottom