• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Positioning a turntable

Digby

Major Contributor
I was just thinking, given how sensitive cartridges and tonearms are to sound, should a turntable be positioned in a room so that it sits in a bass null. Does this make an appreciable difference to performance?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I would only consider doing that after vibration pickup via its supporting surface has been just about eliminated (e.g. TT on concrete with springs on stable wall-mounted shelf or base) and the dust cover has been taken off in use. Getting strictly airborne sound into a solid actually is quite hard (note how recording and playing back sound involves mere membranes), so direct sound pickup from the air generally is a secondary factor.

spiral scratch

^what he said. I had a big bump in clarity when I placed my TT on a shelf mounted onto an exterior weight bearing wall (the one the roof slopes onto) with some solid brackets. Nothing fancy, just a board on some decent steel brackets. I didn't bother with the spring mass loaded thingy. I tried a sand box with a tire underneath my deck but didn't find it made much difference and levelling was a PITA.

Top Bottom