• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Portable WiFI Speakers Recommendation?

Regev

I currently have an RCF Evox 8 (a $1.5-2K powered column) connected to a Logitech BT adapter, which I stream music to. It's sitting in my living room (with the volume knob REALLY low, otherwise the whole apartment building will shake). I drag it outside to my balcony (it's a huge balcony) whenver there are guests, or when I want to stream a movie on the 300" canvas screen outside with the projector, using a long XLR cable. This is what it looks like:

OutdoorCinemaReg-1024x768.jpeg

my problems:

a. the system is really heavy. It's a hassle to drag it outside each time.
b. i feel like it's an overkill for what I use it for. Yes, the sound is super-crisp, and it's an outstanding system, but can't I get a similar-sounding system at lower volumes? I don't need so much power, i'm using maybe 5-10% of the volume knob when I'ts inside the house, up to maybe 25% when it's outside.

I could use a lighter, more portable system that would look nice at home, with built-in WiFi (so I dont lose quality over Bluetooth).

Do you haev any recommendation for a system that could output 25% of the power of the Evox, with similar quality, and with a much smaller size and weight, and preferably with built-in WiFi? Perhaps those nice Marhsall Tufton / Stanmore / Woburn?

Thank you.

Last edited:

mmi

As the lonely resident Sonos fanboy: you could look at two Sonos Move’s in stereo pair. This would give you great sound quality, optional loudness function, optional speech enhancement, optional automatic room correction based on placement via Trueplay, plus ability to add even more speakers eg the smaller Roams (although the wireless products don’t do surround). Also Sonos is about to release a mini sub later this year and I would be very surprised if it isn’t wireless. But they don’t publish amp specs for their speakers, and I don’t know how their max headroom of 85db each compares to your current column when summed.

The UE hyperboom goes louder (95db), don’t know much about their stereo pairing and ease of use but I can guarantee the sound quality isn’t on par with Sonos. Can’t comment on the Marshalls but they seem fairly well liked.

Top Bottom