• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!
Hello,
I would like some suggestions on a portable USB-C DAC to buy.

I will just use it for my laptop as it has really terrible audio. The headphones to drive are cheap ones, costed something like 50€ish, some Sony ones. Nothing crazy.
If possible, I would prefer one with no "fixed" cables, I want to be able to replace stuff if it brakes and not throw the all unit away.
I don't want one with a battery, I don't need it. It just add size and weight.

The ones I was looking for was:
  • HIDIZS S9 PRO - Best Review: The Review here it is really good. It is a bit over the budget I thought (max €100) at €130 but I can afford it if it is worth it. The only thing, I saw MANY review complaining about the cable braking and the company ignoring support request. Not something I really like and I want to endorse. How do you see it? Anything that I should worry about? A part from the loss of money, I can simply buy another generic USB-C to USB-C and it will works, right?
  • HIDIZS S3 PRO - Best price: Looking at the review here seems quite worse, but it is considerably less money, almost half (€80 vs €130), even if full price seems more around €100 and it is currently discounted. Probbaly, for my use, it can be good, but I am doubtful give the S9 Pro review. If their built quality isn't that good, and this cable it is soldered into the unit, it means that if breaks, I will need to throw it away. And if their support isn't good, I will need to rely on the seller support, that generally I don't like.
  • FIIO KA3 - Middle-ground (?): IIRC it sports the same S9 PRO DAC, it has removable cable and cost less than €100. It seems a good contender on paper. I saw no review here (if not a link on a Chinese site), any opinion?
  • iBasso DC05 - Cheapest: Never eared anything of it. I simply found it on Amazon with really good review (better than the all other 3, for what it is worth). No removable cables and cost the same as the S3 PRO. It cost €80.
  • HiBy FC4 - Alternative: Lastly (that I have considered) this one. I saw a couple of good YT reviews on it. Good reviews on Amazon and removable cable. It is a bit over the €100 mark but still cheaper than the S9 PRO. No review here.
Opinions? Anything that I have not considered that's around €100, with USB-C and no battery?
What do you think I should get?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Chuck1993

From my own personal experience (which consists of only two of these) I'd recommend the FiiO KA3. I had the iBasso and something went pop with less than 5 hours usage.

Top Bottom