• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Portable Recorders as DAPs

OP
A

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank goodness for that, for some reason, I just thought it was 1 folder, 1000's of files in a single folder
That would scare the shit out of both of us, LOL !

OP
A

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have concluded that for decent sound quality in the $90 - $150 range that portable recorders are a pretty good option for use as DAPs. I like these two units that I purchased, but they do have limitations in file management, and the display screens could be a bit better. I don't think I would ever go much above this price point for a portable recorder if my primary interest is use as a DAP; rather only if I wanted to get into serious field recording (now my field recording will be very casual and limited). Great recording features start to kick in at the $300 price point with likes of the Tascam DR-100 MK III and upwards. However, you start to lose ease of portability for DAP use with those bigger units, and as TKS has pointed out, the DR-100 III does not have a state of the art DAC for playback. I think both the Tascam DR-05X and Olympus LS-P4 were good choices for me, and was pleasantly surprised that the Olympus can record to FLAC (as well as WAV).

Top Bottom