• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Portable DAC for HD600, HD660s or Hifiman Sundara

OP
Vik

Vik

how high does your SINAD rating need to be?
I'm still no expert, but since these graphical overviews are referred to when describing how good a product is, I'm looking for a unit that's close to the top of the Excellent range (max 121), and not one which is close to the red bars (around 90 and downwards). My guess is that all newcomers here think that way.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Vik what do you want exactly and how portable/pocket able? You can go up to desktop separate level of performance regarding DAC but not regarding output voltage of course and it would cost you almost the same (like separate stand alone desktop grade DAC/AMP with similar performance) in the dongle market. But really (thinking on W2)?

OP
Vik

Vik

@Vik what do you want exactly and how portable/pocket able? You can go up to desktop separate level of performance regarding DAC but not regarding output voltage of course and it would cost you almost the same (like separate stand alone desktop grade DAC/AMP with similar performance) in the dongle market. But really (thinking on W2)?
I don't understand the language (Chinese?), but found this about the W2 – thanks for the tip! Will find more info too (about the W2).

(What I want? I want the closest I can get to a portable DAC-amp with great sound, with good enough output for headphones like Sundara and HD 600/650, ideally with EQ and a remote. It needs to be trouble-free with iPhones and Macs. I guess I'll, in the end, end up with two products instead of one.)

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Vik use a translator, WolfX-700 is member and he did L&P W1/W2 review hire and on his own site. As the one done here is a little confusing I directed you there.

Reactions: Vik

mediocrebutarrogant

Well for what it’s worth I did get the hip dac2 , compared to topping l30 ,e50 single ended , running the sundara balanced on hip dac2 is ok for the application, ie it can drive the sundara to ear deafening levels. It’s quite nice for the money , but of course audible distortion is there in some tracks , so not as pristine as l30 but it will do for making the Sundaras portable around the house that is .You can say hip dac is like red label Johnny walker at best compared to glefiddich 12 for L30

Alex9

I don't understand the language (Chinese?), but found this about the W2 – thanks for the tip! Will find more info too (about the W2).

(What I want? I want the closest I can get to a portable DAC-amp with great sound, with good enough output for headphones like Sundara and HD 600/650, ideally with EQ and a remote. It needs to be trouble-free with iPhones and Macs. I guess I'll, in the end, end up with two products instead of one.)
Hello. What did you end up getting? I have identical requirements to yours and I’m getting lost in all the jargon and technicalities. Thanks

Deckard01

I try to find too a semi portable solution of dac/amp for my HD600 any idea. As i reed dongles can not drive so good HD600. I was thinking about Mojo 2 that is not so big but can be connected to my laptop and said that it's sound is praised. The only drawback is that is too expensive. Has anyone find any solution of a product (Fiio, Topping) that can match Mojo 2 but to not be so pricey?

Deckard01

Dongles can drive my HD600 perfectly. No difference vs a proper desktop Amp.
Thanks StaticV3 for your answer.

Do you knows which one is good for HD600? Do you believe I should by Mojo 2 as a better option for HD600 or stay with a dongle will I see any real diference?

Moreover can we say the say the same and for K701 which I use to drive with the CanAmp? So as to do not be with balky dac and amp all the time?

Thanks for all

Top Bottom