• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Portable DAC for Android?

Hikari!

Hi I'm wondering what cheap, portable/dongle DAC would be suggested for android users. The hardest to drive thing I ever use with my phone are various 150 ohm earbuds, which demand just barely over 1.0vrms. I don't see myself taking any harder to drive gear with me on the go.

Dongles I've tried:
Apple DAC - Great for my laptop. Not so great for Android because I can't root my work phone.
Generic/Ali CX31993 - Pretty much exactly fit my needs, but has QC issues & USB-C is loose in both of my phones. I have 3 of them with bad solder joints at the headphone jack that need repair.

I think I may value long term durability/build quality a bit over sound quality with these, based on my experiences with them.
Cheap is also good, I like to buy a few of them and leave them on the end of my iems/buds for convenience.

Not interested in:
Anything bigger than a dongle, I already have one of those.
(unless the box on the end is really small)

staticV3

Master Contributor
You could give the Ugreen HiFi a try. Definitely feels the most robust out of all my dongles, though I can't guarantee anything obviously.
It's about 50% longer than the Apple dongle.

Edit: Here are measurements. Note that the noise is an APx555 artifact.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Tempotec Sonata HD II which seems fine, although I don't use it a lot.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Get a TempoTec Sonata HD Pro and a spare (or better quality/durability/longevity) OTG which you need.

OP
Hikari!

Hikari!

Get a TempoTec Sonata HD Pro and a spare (or better quality/durability/longevity) OTG which you need.
This may be an option. I'm worried that the micro b socket could break device side, I wonder how repairable/accessible it is.
Other than that, I could just make my own OTG with re-openable connector jackets and know its done right.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
This may be an option. I'm worried that the micro b socket could break device side, I wonder how repairable/accessible it is.
Other than that, I could just make my own OTG with re-openable connector jackets and know its done right.
Well let's just hope it is durable enough for couple of years (cables certainly ain't [great one's are 3+ years in my experience but those aren't OTG] one's you will get from TempoTec are good for a year or so).
Edit: Not really repairable of course we had them disassembled hire long time ago (under Hidizs S8 review thread).

Ugreen is generic rebrand most part (just list enough on Alie and not that they don't have some good enough cheap stuff). Anyway just saying. If you don't like TempoTec try to find old Meizu HiFi Pro if you still can find one and take a look at E1DA lineup and availability.

Last edited:
Top Bottom