• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Portable DAC/Amp with parametric EQ - what's out there? Needs USB input - Under US $600

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Well, you can run the ADI-2 DAC off of 12Vdc and it has 5 to 7 band EQ depending on how you use the configurable tone controls, which is why I brought it up.
I already have an ADI-2.

It's too big. It can be used portably with huge powerbank but the combo is too big and heavy.

Something the same of ADI-2 would be fine if it had built-in battery, so in that regard the size of one box isn't a concern for me.

But 12Vdc powerbanks that can power an ADI-2 for 6 hours for example, don't come small.

I know because I have ADI-2 and 12Vdc powerbanks. I rarely take those for portable use.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
As for DSP, you may use in upstream any of PC (or Mac) DSP software, such as JRiver, Roon, EKIO, etc., etc.
I know I use software on PC at home. We all know many ways to do PEQ. I can't take my i9-12900K portably :)

In post #1 these devices I mentioned have built-in parametric EQ, with DAC + amp all built-in.

In reasonably small package.

That's what I am seeking more examples of. More devices like listed in post #1

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
As I mentioned, if miniDSP box had a USB in and USB out box, small and powered by 5Vdc I could pair that with any DAC/amp.

But such a device doesn't exist ?

I also updated thread title and post #1 - to draw a line in price - under US $600

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know I use software on PC at home. We all know many ways to do PEQ. I can't take my i9-12900K portably :)

OK, now I understand well.

BTW, JRiver + EKIO works perfectly even with my rather "old" very light notebook PC with Intel Core i7-3517U (2-core) @1.90 GHz, Mem 4 GB, m-SATA SSD 2 TB, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit.

(as for my audio dedicated completely silent [rather old but very stable] PCs, please refer to my post here; they are not portable:).)

Last edited:
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
OK, now I understand well.

BTW, JRiver + EKIO works perfectly even with my rather "old" very light notebook PC with Intel Core i7-3517U (2-core) @1.90 GHz, Mem 4 GB, m-SATA SSD 2 TB, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit.

Understood. I have an Intel Atom laptop also that can do PEQ.

But as I mentioned in post #9 on page 1, I want to connect my iPhone/iPad to a "box" that does PEQ + DAC + headphone amp.

I can't connect iPhone/iPad to my laptop to do this.

If you look at the list on post #1, they do this. But it is not a big list.

This issue would vanish if iOS/iPadOS had built-in PEQ for all apps.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to connect my iPhone/iPad to a "box" that does PEQ + DAC + headphone amp.

OK, fully understood! Hope good luck for you...

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
It looks like we'll need to wait for Qudelix to make a bigger/better follow-up to their own great 5K

staticV3

Master Contributor
The objective performance , say of a Topping G5 ?
Ah I see. There is a 109dB SINAD dongle with PEQ, the miniDSP IL-DSP: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-minidsp-il-dsp-headphone-amplifier-equalizer/

You should be able to plug that into an iPhone using a Lightning to Micro USB "OTG" cable, like the one included with the Sonata HD Pro:
61sSC5g0CrL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Downside is only 1Vrms output and configurable only via Mac or Windows.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
There is a 109dB SINAD dongle with PEQ, the miniDSP IL-DSP
Yes it's mentioned in Post #1 in this thread already

Not quite the power of a Topping G5 (there's more important things than just SINAD as you know)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like we'll need to wait for Qudelix to make a bigger/better follow-up to their own great 5K
I am in this situation...
Let me explain :):
I am fully in the Apple prison err.. :) ecosystem. I like it, the Apple UI experience, except for a few strange (and un-Apple like) quirks related to Apple Music. more later.
I need something lossless, small with DAC+amp+PEQ , portable, for my iPhone Pro, iPad Pro with Lighting connectors. Would like to avoid BT connections because of FOMO and other audiophile idiosyncrasies ...
What is in there for us Apple people? Can this be done with the Qudelix 5K? A few monsths ago, I was about to order one but cancelled the order...

While writing this, I saw this post from @staticV3
Ah I see. There is a 109dB SINAD dongle with PEQ, the miniDSP IL-DSP: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-minidsp-il-dsp-headphone-amplifier-equalizer/

You should be able to plug that into an iPhone using a Lightning to Micro USB "OTG" cable, like the one included with the Sonata HD Pro:
View attachment 264061

Downside is only 1Vrms output and configurable only via Mac or Windows.
Elicited more questions...

Peace

khensu

I just picked up a Qudelix 5k several days ago and am also in the Apple ecosystem and, so far, have been extremely happy with it. The biggest issue is that you do need a specific type of lightning to USB-C cable in order to use the 5k wired (with an iPhone). The cable I already had doesn’t do the trick. For now, when not connected to my MBP, I’m using it over BT, and even with that, I am not experiencing the FOMO

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
It gets hot, is too noisy for IEMs (for me), is not easy to plug into external Amps, and the PEQ has an annoying issue where the center frequency of each peaking filter gets shifted by a set percentage, depending on what sample rate you're sending to the DAC:
View attachment 244225

"Beat-tones" refers to a setting in the companion App, which helps get rid of a high-pitched whistle noise. Some units have that noise with this setting enabled, others with it disabled.

On the flip side, the way you work the PEQ is really fun and intuitive.
Here for example you see me overlay a preset from AutoEQ and trace it by dragging and pinching the filters around. (YouTube link)

The app is called HPToy. It's free for iOS and Android and connects to the PDv2.1 via Bluetooth, but you can explore all features without owning the hardware.

I for example use it quite often to design PEQ filter presets, just because of how easy it is.

How is PowerDAC 2.1 now , in terms of reliabilty ? @IVX

Have firmware updates improved things?

And still noisy with IEMs ? What is SNR at 50mV ?

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
How is PowerDAC 2.1 now , in terms of reliabilty ? @IVX

Have firmware updates improved things?

And still noisy with IEMs ? What is SNR at 50mV ?
shortly, it is not for IEMs. This is a very unusual DAC which is digital up to the output low pass filters(passive one), no any feedback is there.
For the no-feedback topology, PDv2 has a phenomenal THD and noise but if we compare that with conventional DAC using tones of feedback, as the new coming 9039S, then PDv2 is noisy.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
shortly, it is not for IEMs. This is a very unusual DAC which is digital up to the output low pass filters(passive one), no any feedback is there.
For the no-feedback topology, PDv2 has a phenomenal THD and noise but if we compare that with conventional DAC using tones of feedback, as the new coming 9039S, then PDv2 is noisy.

Is new coming 9039S going to have parametric EQ ? This is much needed :)

Even 5 bands would be amazing

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
no, nowadays we can use the software EQ.
We cannot do that with just an iPhone with Apple Music Hires or Spotify :-(

With PowerDAC you can, but unfortunately not good IEM headphones.

This is really unfortunate no EQ coming

Top Bottom