• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Portable dac/amp with optical in THAT ISNT MOJO

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't want to pay mojo prices but is this really the only (decent) battery powered dac/amp that will take optical input?

For reference, I want to use a WIIM mini plus the mystery device as a set up at my office desk /home desk without the need for a power plug (I can run the wiim off a spare usb socket I'm sure)

In the alternative, a well measuring "desktop" dac /amp with optical in that isn't a Topping or SMSL? Might have to bite the bullet on a plug.

Or should I forget such flights of fancy and just stick to phone plus dongle?

Thanks

rarewolf

Don't want to pay mojo prices but is this really the only (decent) battery powered dac/amp that will take optical input?

For reference, I want to use a WIIM mini plus the mystery device as a set up at my office desk /home desk without the need for a power plug (I can run the wiim off a spare usb socket I'm sure)

In the alternative, a well measuring "desktop" dac /amp with optical in that isn't a Topping or SMSL? Might have to bite the bullet on a plug.

Or should I forget such flights of fancy and just stick to phone plus dongle?

Thanks

Generally speaking, a flimsy optical input would never be anticipated for a device destined for portability. Why add size and cost, and a pain in the neck?

OP
Jimbob54

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
xDuoo XD-05
xDuoo XD-05 Basic
xDuoo XD-05 Plus
xDuoo XD05 Bal

Wolf has measurements: https://www.l7audiolab.com/?s=Xd-05
Not ideal from a measurement perspective and some glitching in the digital portion (of the BAL anyway) I think for £90 the suggestion to try a G6 Soundblaster plus powerbank (or maybe I can find a way to get it USB power ) might be the right choice. But for now I am waiting until Wiim bring in the 3 band PEQ on the mini before I do anything,

My one concern with the G6 is pretty poor performance into 33ohm and I will be using this set up almost exclusively with IEMs

rarewolf

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The iFi xDSD Gryphon is a kitchen sink portable that has an S/PDIF connector that works with an optical adaptor. That’s my preferred portable for its variety of connectors, formidable amp output and analog bass boost that sounds great. Interfaces nicely and ingeniously with phones.

Top Bottom