• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Portable dac+amp for taking calls with iem?

Cofra

Hi!

I have a few IEM's. I mainly listen to and from work. I want them to be connected to my phone via a dongle or portable dac/amp solution and I'd like to be able to answer calls if it happens, using a cable with a microphone.

Is it possible to listen lossless and combine it with taking a call every now and then? Or should I just go for true wireless buds and skip that idea? Do you have any suggestions?

I had ideas about for example FiiO BTR7, Topping G5 or such, but it's hard to find information about how they will work with taking calls.

Thanks for your input.

unpluggged

Look at Qudelix 5K.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Iirc, the apple usb-c dongle is a 4-pole so it accepts microphone inputs. That + a Kinera Gramr would probably be cheapest and give you the best sound quality. Bluetooth destroys microphone sound quality (good codecs like ldac aren't for 2-way audio).

OP
C

Cofra

Thanks for your answers!

I have a Samsung S22, so maybe a Qudelix 5K with IEM's connected by Kinera Gramr-headset cable would be a good option.

Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for your answers!

I have a Samsung S22, so maybe a Qudelix 5K with IEM's connected by Kinera Gramr-headset cable would be a good option.

Does anyone have a better suggestion?
I think you'd actually get better audio quality using the $9 apple dongle over the Qudelix (assuming you're using the Qudelix via bluetooth).

TimW

Major Contributor
I own the EarStudio ES100 and Shanling UP4 Bluetooth DAC/Amps. These are similar little devices to the Qudelix and Fiio units. With both of these I can listen to music using the LDAC codec and when I get a call I can answer and use the microphone built into the Bluetooth amp. So the codec must switch when the call is being made but it switches back automatically when the music resumes. The microphones built into these devices are not great and I have been told by callers that they sound noisy and my voice is quiet. Despite this the few calls I have taken with them have been successful enough. Certainly not as good call quality as true wireless headphones though.

I have been considering the Kinera Gramr cable for use in meetings at work. However it and inline microphone cables is not compatible with Bluetooth amps like I have, which do not have a microphone input at the headphone jack. I have a Schiit Hel I use with my workstation PC and an apple dongle for use with my work phone for this. If you want to use a cable with the mic built in a dongle will probably be your best bet.

OP
C

Cofra

Thanks for your answers. I find it a but funny there's no "good" way to answer calls with IEM's when listening to lossless music There's so much gadgets out there.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is it possible to listen lossless and combine it with taking a call every now and then?
Yes. You can use dongles like the Apple dongle to listen lossless, and to take a call every now and then.

Do you have any suggestions?
Apple dongle, Meizu HiFi, Meizu HiFi Pro, lifeme HiFi Audio Pro, mblu HiFi Audio, Asus MU3C-AD(M)

paudio

I think the Qudelix supports external microphones too. I have not tried it.

Iirc Apple uses different mic bias voltages it's hit and miss if you can get enough gain with the dongle

unpluggged

I think the Qudelix supports external microphones too. I have not tried it.
It does indeed. The preamp quality is mediocre, but more than adequate for voice calls. Still, as a package, the 5K offers unique value.

aarond

Yes. You can use dongles like the Apple dongle to listen lossless, and to take a call every now and then.

Apple dongle, Meizu HiFi, Meizu HiFi Pro, lifeme HiFi Audio Pro, mblu HiFi Audio, Asus MU3C-AD(M)
Hi mate, I just ordered the Ugreen Audio Hifi Pro on Taobao, its bout $25 (168 yuan, including shipping free). Is its as well as the Meizu Audio Hifi Pro? if not so what is the differences between them? Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi mate, I just ordered the Ugreen Audio Hifi Pro on Taobao, its bout $25 (168 yuan, including shipping free). Is its as well as the Meizu Audio Hifi Pro? if not so what is the differences between them? Thanks
The Ugreen HiFi Audio Pro does not support inline microphones.

Top Bottom